Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

7 minutes ago, isthisagoodidea said:

Ok, so not the admissions department? You don't think emailing the grad coordinator/chair is too direct? Should I actually include an updated CV, or just let them know of the development?

Thanks for the advice.

What's wrong with being direct? I would email them directly and tell them your paper has been accepted for publication and that you hope they use that information in consideration of your application. 

10 minutes ago, isthisagoodidea said:
1 minute ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

What's wrong with being direct? I would email them directly and tell them your paper has been accepted for publication and that you hope they use that information in consideration of your application. 

Ok, so not the admissions department? You don't think emailing the grad coordinator/chair is too direct?

Thanks for the advice.

Awesome, thanks.

@redhillgirl I'm mostly interested in quantitative modeling of violent crime data based on sociological factors, but recently I've started doing a little more with incarceration so who knows!

It would be wonderful if Washington notified soon, even though they sent all those emails insisting they won't notify till February :)

4 hours ago, Katastrophe said:

@redhillgirl I'm mostly interested in quantitative modeling of violent crime data based on sociological factors, but recently I've started doing a little more with incarceration so who knows!

It would be wonderful if Washington notified soon, even though they sent all those emails insisting they won't notify till February :)

Our interests are super similar and we have a decent amount of applied programs in common, so that's cool.

Did you find yourself in a predicament at all about whether or not to apply to criminology programs as well? I have never considered myself a criminologist, but the literature review for the paper I'm hoping to publish draws very heavily from criminology literature, so it was kind of a conundrum for me. I ended up compromising and applying to some sociology programs at schools with high-ranked criminology programs (and one criminology program that seems to be a perfect fit, and where there is a faculty member who had a super positive response when I e-mailed them). 

18 minutes ago, fall2016applicant said:

Our interests are super similar and we have a decent amount of applied programs in common, so that's cool.

Did you find yourself in a predicament at all about whether or not to apply to criminology programs as well? I have never considered myself a criminologist, but the literature review for the paper I'm hoping to publish draws very heavily from criminology literature, so it was kind of a conundrum for me. I ended up compromising and applying to some sociology programs at schools with high-ranked criminology programs (and one criminology program that seems to be a perfect fit, and where there is a faculty member who had a super positive response when I e-mailed them). 

I'll pm you in a minute, that way will keep this thread from going off topic :)

Just now, mrbmrbmrb said:

Temple waitlisted me. :unsure: So much for getting good results first.

Was Temple one of your top choices? If so, I hope that someone declines their offer so you can get in! 

Meanwhile, I still haven't heard a peep. Expecting news (trying to mentally prepare for rejection so that acceptances are a nice surprise!) soon enough though. 

Not one of my top choices but still not a good feeling.  At least the email told me I'm a qualified candidate, they just haven't secured funding for me.  I am going crazy waiting to hear from UT Austin though, they sent out results around this time last year and no one has heard anything from them yet.

4 minutes ago, mrbmrbmrb said:

Not one of my top choices but still not a good feeling.  At least the email told me I'm a qualified candidate, they just haven't secured funding for me.  I am going crazy waiting to hear from UT Austin though, they sent out results around this time last year and no one has heard anything from them yet.

I totally get what you mean. I'm glad they told you you were qualified, too! That's awesome. Same here with the waiting thing. *paces around grad cafe anxiously*

33 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Was Temple one of your top choices? If so, I hope that someone declines their offer so you can get in! 

Meanwhile, I still haven't heard a peep. Expecting news (trying to mentally prepare for rejection so that acceptances are a nice surprise!) soon enough though. 

I just realized today that I forgot to send my official GRE scores to my safety school. Called admissions and they said no decisions have been made for the program yet, so I submitted them today and am praying they'll still consider me. Feel like I shot myself in the foot! 

Anticipating rejections too, and hoping for a surprise or two.

29 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

I just realized today that I forgot to send my official GRE scores to my safety school. Called admissions and they said no decisions have been made for the program yet, so I submitted them today and am praying they'll still consider me. Feel like I shot myself in the foot! 

Anticipating rejections too, and hoping for a surprise or two.

I did the same thing to *all my schools*. Submitted them on the 13th and they've finally gotten in. I talked to admissions and it's not a huge deal.

1 hour ago, SocPhDreamer said:

I know I saw some UCLA acceptances - does anybody know if there's still a chance they will be sending out more acceptances? 

I guess they are done with the first round of admissions, and will be sending new ones when some of the admitted students reject their offers. For that you may have to wait until more top schools start announcing admission results. 

The same applies to me in the case of UC Irvine. It was a really really good fit. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, SocPhDreamer said:

I know I saw some UCLA acceptances - does anybody know if there's still a chance they will be sending out more acceptances? 

UCLA admit here, they might send out more acceptances next week. But I also know that they are already planning the visit. It's a black box. 

21 minutes ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

UCLA admit here, they might send out more acceptances next week. But I also know that they are already planning the visit. It's a black box. 

Congrats on the admit!

Have they informed you of a tentative date for the visit?

16 hours ago, mrbmrbmrb said:

I got what I imagine is the same email. No idea what to make of it. Has anyone been accepted?!?

17 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Note to anyone still hoping for a UT-Austin Acceptance: I thought I was out the running since I didn't hear last night, but I just got an email.

Curse you Results Search for spurring me to eat two whole Ben and Jerry's things by myself last night. :)

Congrats!!! wow weekend notifications make me even more nervous!!! *ben and jerrying*