Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

8 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Claim UT-A rejection.

I am not so active in the forum so perhaps no one cares. However, I still cannot express how sad I am about the results.

The fact when I heard my application got into the final cut but still lost before the finishing line is extremely depressing.

I thought my application was strong and a good fit with the program. Sadly I cannot say a word in the judgment process.

Any chance the grad assistant who told you screwed up? 

1 minute ago, nowayjose said:

Wow, you had the 167v 170 q GRE, right? That's pretty shocking. Maybe they figured you would turn them down for elsewhere?

The argument that an applicant will turn down an acceptance to fill a "better" acceptance is a really bad way of decisionmaking. Even if the applicant lists other, better schools as also being applied to, the adcom has no way of knowing if they will receive an acceptance elsewhere, and if so with what package. A better approach would be to accept them and offer a stellar funding package to lure them away from any potential competition.. But still, that line of thinking by an adcom can have negative consequences on applicants who fail to get in anywhere else, when they were able to admit you save that caveat of "oh, they'll probably just go elsewhere"..

5 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Welp the latest UT-A rejection sounds like a horrifying way to find out

5 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Claim UT-A rejection.

I am not so active in the forum so perhaps no one cares. However, I still cannot express how sad I am about the results.

The fact when I heard my application got into the final cut but still lost before the finishing line is extremely depressing.

I thought my application was strong and a good fit with the program. Sadly I cannot say a word in the judgment process.

I care. I empathize with your sadness and I too will soon feel the sting of rejection from UT Austin (and probably lots of other programs too... lol). 

One positive thing to take away from that kind of feedback is that you made it to the final cut! We can never quite tell if the admissions committee will see the "fit" in the same light that we do so I would imagine that you have a very strong application and will likely get an acceptance somewhere else. :) However, I realize that this doesn't totally wipe away the heartbreak of it in this moment... *hugs* 

7 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Wow, you had the 167v 170 q GRE, right? That's pretty shocking. Maybe they figured you would turn them down for elsewhere?

I have math background so 170Q is not surprising, I got really lucky to have this verbal score.

I think what turned my application is neither GRE nor GPA, but something else I don't know.

I would hate to realize they turned down my apps for the reason I may go somewhere else. I may or I may not, but they did reject a very enthusiastic applicant.

7 minutes ago, hazenyc said:

The argument that an applicant will turn down an acceptance to fill a "better" acceptance is a really bad way of decisionmaking. Even if the applicant lists other, better schools as also being applied to, the adcom has no way of knowing if they will receive an acceptance elsewhere, and if so with what package. A better approach would be to accept them and offer a stellar funding package to lure them away from any potential competition.. But still, that line of thinking by an adcom can have negative consequences on applicants who fail to get in anywhere else, when they were able to admit you save that caveat of "oh, they'll probably just go elsewhere"..

I completely agree with what you said. @hazenyc I would rather think my apps is underqualified, not overqualified. For a simple reason, that kind of "overqualified" judgment call made me feel even worse.

13 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Ahhh. Thank you for the info! I mainly applied to crim/CJ programs but met a prof. from Harvards soc program at a conference who suggested I apply. But I know very little about how soc programs are, just that he studies what I have/do/want too.

i am sure you will be fine! Your stats are impressive! 

My Quant score is pathetic - haven't taken math in years and didn't take a prep course; also went into complete panic mode during the test. Unfortunately, Harvard appears to care a lot about GRE scores. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though! I think I'll pass out from shock if I get admitted.

10 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I care. I empathize with your sadness and I too will soon feel the sting of rejection from UT Austin (and probably lots of other programs too... lol). 

One positive thing to take away from that kind of feedback is that you made it to the final cut! We can never quite tell if the admissions committee will see the "fit" in the same light that we do so I would imagine that you have a very strong application and will likely get an acceptance somewhere else. :) However, I realize that this doesn't totally wipe away the heartbreak of it in this moment... *hugs* 

****Hugs**** Thank you @HopfulSocPhD >.< You are so sweet.

I don't even know that 'final cut' saying is accurate or not. The official reason is "not as good as other applicants in terms of intellectual fit".

Cheers. I looked at some of your other posts and thought you should get into some good programs! We will be fine.

1 hour ago, goofylemon said:

I am sorry, @liesandfish I did not get what you asked.

Did you mean "any chance to ask the grad assistant who on the grad committee screwed me up"?

No I do not know.

@goofylemon sorry, poor wording. What I meant was, since a grad student told you unofficially that you were rejected, is it possible that they gave you misinformation/ thought you were someone else/ etc. Since you said you had nothing posted on portal yet....just thinking maybe it was a error on that students behalf telling you! Hope that makes more sense. Either way, I think you will end up somewhere great! 

1 hour ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I already live in Austin, and I can just imagine a rejection from UT saying, "NO TACOS FOR YOU!!!" 

For you admits to UT Austin, make sure to get yourself some Torchy's Tacos when you come visit. :) 

Torchy's, Taco Deli and El Taquito are all on my short list for the visit :)

Great to see so many new posters on this thread! Seems like it's about time for some good news on the results page, hopefully some good things  for everyone today!

2 hours ago, goofylemon said:

Claim UT-A rejection.

*huuuuuggggssssss* I care!!! I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to/shoulder to cry on. *makes you your favorite kind of tea/coffee*

Let us know if there's anything we can do. This season isn't over! 

*vanishes, for now, to take care of school stuff*

15 minutes ago, SocPhDreamer said:

@HopefulSocPhD I got into UT Austin - and I saw in earlier post you live in Austin. Would you mind sharing how you like living over there? :)

Austin is a pretty cool city, in general, however the traffic is absolutely terrible. If you move here, get a place close to campus and ride a bike or walk. Otherwise, rents are more affordable here than a lot of places, but near campus isn't exactly cheap. The food here is really great! The weather is mild, although hot hot hot (100+) in the summer with humidity. There are music festivals and live music everywhere so that's pretty cool too... overall it's a pretty good place to be. :)

Has anyone heard from Berkeley, yet? I haven't seen any updates about this program or others (e.g. UPenn, Stanford). I feel like the more time passes by, the less likely we are to hear good news. Ahh!

Edited by SocPhDreamer

5 minutes ago, SocPhDreamer said:

Has anyone heard from Berkeley, yet? I haven't seen any updates about this program or others (e.g. UPenn, Stanford). I feel like the more time passes by, the less likely we are to hear good news. Ahh!

So far, nothing from UCB. Based on previous years we could hear back as early as the end of this week and as late as mid-February.

3 hours ago, liesandfish said:

Ahhh. Thank you for the info! I mainly applied to crim/CJ programs but met a prof. from Harvards soc program at a conference who suggested I apply. But I know very little about how soc programs are, just that he studies what I have/do/want too.

Sampson? My interests are similarly between soc and crim, and I think working with him would be a dream come true.

2 minutes ago, fall2016applicant said:

Sampson? My interests are similarly between soc and crim, and I think working with him would be a dream come true.

Yes. I agree, it would be a dream. But I also have huge doubts I will ever accepted. Luckily I have been accepted to some crim programs. Did you apply to both? 

18 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Yes. I agree, it would be a dream. But I also have huge doubts I will ever accepted. Luckily I have been accepted to some crim programs. Did you apply to both? 

The only crim program I applied to was Northeastern, where I have an interview at the end of February. Kind of wish I applied to more, but it's too late for that. Where are you hoping to end up?

9 minutes ago, bluefoxblue said:

Congrats to those who got accepted already! Long time lurker, second time poster. 

Just got rejected from UC Santa Barbara. Wasn't a great fit necessarily, but in pain regardless. Sadness reigns. 

Right there with ya, and sadly, I thought it was a pretty good fit for my interests.