Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

BROWN INFO:

Just called Brown's Student Affairs Coordinator. She told me that some offers had been made but they still have a list that needs to be approved by the Graduate School. So therefore, not all have gone out. It seems like they are sending them out as they are approved by the Graduate School.

So just wanted to fill you all in on what I was told.

There is still hope everyone!!!!

9 minutes ago, ConsciousKid said:

@Shay825 @gingin6789 I actually applied to Brandeis last year and was wait listed. Initially I was bummed, but when the DOGS told me they were only able to admit 4 – I felt much better.

I reapplied this year hoping for a different outcome. But I know both of you are fantastic candidates and shouldn't have any issues being admitted!!! :)

I will say that Brandeis isn't the BEST fit, but I would have to consider if admitted.

Hope we hear some news soon!

Thanks, I actually didn't apply to Brandeis this year. Wishing your and @gingin6789 lots of luck!!! :)

Aside from my crap Quant score, primary reason I'm stressing so hard over these app decisions - I admitted to having been a Wanderlust as an undergrad, in my SOP. It was my explanation for why I bounced from Anthropology major to Museum Studies to 16th Century British Literature to Communications. lol. Probably shot myself in the foot there....

25 minutes ago, oakoak said:

Same here with Brown. No e-mails or website updates.

Should I be getting prepared for another rejection?

I'm preparing for an Indiana rejection as I haven't gotten an email to interview :mellow:

2 hours ago, Shay825 said:

Can anyone claim the Brown admit from last night? Last I checked, the highest possible score on each section of the GRE is 170, with total points possible being 340. The post shows GRE scores as 191/169/5.00. Typo, maybe?

Oops, that was me; sorry about that. Should actually 169/161/5.00. I thought I double checked everything, but I guess not very well :(

30 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

Aside from my crap Quant score, primary reason I'm stressing so hard over these app decisions - I admitted to having been a Wanderlust as an undergrad, in my SOP. It was my explanation for why I bounced from Anthropology major to Museum Studies to 16th Century British Literature to Communications. lol. Probably shot myself in the foot there....

I think framing something like that so it fits into a narrative about how you came to be dedicated to your current research interests is a smart move, actually. Wanderlust as an undergrad isn't a horrible thing, I think! Isn't that kind of what undergrad is for? Everyone is her/his own worst critic. There are parts of my SOP that make me cringe now, but that I think (or hope?) wouldn't stand out to others. You got this :) 

49 minutes ago, Zutial said:

Oops, that was me; sorry about that. Should actually 169/161/5.00. I thought I double checked everything, but I guess not very well :(

Congrats on your admission!!! And impressive scores! :)

50 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

I think framing something like that so it fits into a narrative about how you came to be dedicated to your current research interests is a smart move, actually. Wanderlust as an undergrad isn't a horrible thing, I think! Isn't that kind of what undergrad is for? Everyone is her/his own worst critic. There are parts of my SOP that make me cringe now, but that I think (or hope?) wouldn't stand out to others. You got this :) 

Thank you. :)

Sorry to be skeptical again, but it is highly likely that the three admits on the board are the identical person clicking submit three times due to bad network / high level of excitement. The three admits just looked too similar.

All I want to say is don't be panic. That single UW/Brown/Stanford/Yale acceptances did not mean a lot until a bunch of offers are coming out.

P.S. I am not applying to the big H.

Edited by goofylemon

2 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Sorry to be skeptical again, but it is highly likely that the three admits on the board are the identical person clicking submit three times due to bad network / high level of excitement. The three admits just looked too similar.

P.S. I am not applying to the big H.

Why do you think that? Similar in terms of what? 

Just now, nowayjose said:

Why do you think that? Similar in terms of what? 

It is relatively rare for a person to not post anything (Scores, GPA, and even domestic/international) without any additional notes in the board. In terms of probability, it is well likely that the three admits are identical.

Again, as I clarified. No, I am not applying to H. And, I am saying this because I don't want to see folks panicking.

Just now, goofylemon said:

It is relatively rare for a person to not post anything (Scores, GPA, and even domestic/international) without any additional notes in the board. In terms of probability, it is well likely that the three admits are identical.

Again, as I clarified. No, I am not applying to H. And, I am saying this because I don't want to see folks panicking.

Were they posted extremely close in time? Sorry, was away for the comp if anyone was monitoring.  

I just had a missed call from an unrecognized New Jersey number, didn't apply to anywhere in Jersey but called it back and got a "no voicemail setup message". Then looked at TGC and saw Harvard admits!!! I'm still just showing as "submitted" on their page. Those who got the admits- which area code where your calls from. Don't want to get my hopes up, but wishful thinking it was a call from one of my POIs. 

Hi all!

I am curious how folks would rank the following three schools: Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern. Obviously it depends on fit and research interests, but I am curious to know what your opinions are. How would you rank these schools according to strength and prestige?

Obviously I could look at US News ranks and all that, but I am curious to know what YOU all think.

Chime in if you can. Thanks!