PhD in organization and management--working experience

twinkle star

Hi folks,

I am currently studying sociology in US, and I also majored in sociology for undergraduate studies. My specialization is organizational analysis. Considering the miserable Phd placements in sociology department, I am thinking about applying for phd program on organization and management in business school. I have read some Phd student profiles in some business schools, such as Cornell Johnson, Toronto Rotman and UCLA Anderson. Then I found that many of their phd students have relevant working experiences prior to phd studies, such as management consulting. So I am wondering is working experience very helpful for applying to phd programs on organization and management? I have never worked before, with limited internship experience. Will that be a big disadvantage for me? Are business schools willing to accept students without business/economics/finance background? I did take many courses in organization analysis and have some research experience in this field. I hope some guy can give me some advice. Thank you very much :)

• 5 weeks later...

I just applied to UCLA and Rotman without a masters or work experience. They recommended that I emphasize my research experience and fit with the faculty. I think you would have a chance but you should email professors you are interested in before applying. They are usually very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

At Seton Hall I know they will take MBA candidates from a pretty diverse background.  You're looking at some top programs so that may be a bit more challenging, but not impossible.  Research and research interests that align with faculty will be key.  At the MBA level many students will have work experience, but PhD this isn't necessary (as they are looking at research rather than a professional degree).  I just heard of another student getting into a PhD program (who was an awful human being) that has a bachelors in science, a MBA (that nepotism helped him get into the program and land a GA position) and is in at one or more PhD programs.  Keep in mind that MBA's tend not to be research centric, so there is little of that to help bolster his application/resume.