YALE MFA 2016

MovingTarget22

I'm a first time poster. I have been reading this forum throughout my entire application process. Congratulations! to everyone that was accepted into Yale last night. Is there anyone on this forum that was accepted into sculpture? I applied to sculpture at Yale, Columbia, and UCLA. I have been accepted into both Yale and Columbia, but was rejected from UCLA. It has been a stressful roller coaster of events. Congratulations again and again! to the Class of 2018!   

8 hours ago, rexkingiv said:

Congrats! As for me, unfortunately, I got waitlisted. Seeing 3-year Graphic Design only reserve 6 spots (and I believe most applicants accept Yale offers), I don't think I would stand a chance.

Where else did you apply/interview? 

On March 11, 2016 at 2:27 AM, theresamei said:

Wait listed for 3-yr graphic design

I am wait listed as well. But seeing how I only started designing print media last summer...I'm really not surprised ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ even still, it's a strange limbo to be caught in. 

7 minutes ago, rexkingiv said:

Whoa, so there are three of us? I wonder if all the non-accepted interviewees actually got waitlisted lol.

@altiplano, you were attending the interview in-person right? Do you know how many people got interviewed for 3-year Graphic Design while you were there? I assume they narrowed the applicants down to 20ish interviewees.

Anyway, here's hoping for luck for all of us!

Lol. That would be asinine.

i did interview in-person, however, I did not ask how many other candidates were interviewing nor did I see any others while I was there. I am guessing it was something like 20-some too.

4 minutes ago, rexkingiv said:

Oh, so there's no time (some sort of coffee break or something) for the interviewees to meet each other?

Also, one more thing. Have you guys confirm your waitlist status? Ms. deChiara is gone until 18th of March and her automated reply suggest to e-mail to Ms. Liscio in case of immediate assistance. Because I feel the need to confirm my waitlist status right away, I e-mailed Ms. Liscio as well. An extra ounce of caution wouldn't hurt, would it? CC: @theresamei

In my mind, I am already rejected. My chances of getting in this year are slim to none. I am already working on refining my work. It was some sort of fluke being granted an interview to this program. that being said, I did accept my wait list status and emailed them back. so I'm being realistic with the process, and I'm also waiting on risd to get back to me. 

On 3/12/2016 at 10:22 AM, altiplano said:

Lol. That would be asinine.

i did interview in-person, however, I did not ask how many other candidates were interviewing nor did I see any others while I was there. I am guessing it was something like 20-some too.

There were actually 16 interviews. And four on the wait list as for now (well based off this forum). There are usually 7 slots for the 3-year, and 10 slots for the 2-year. However, not too sure what the yield is looking like this year. Also, I doubt it's based entirely off your design skills, because I come from a heavy design background, and I still wasn't selected in their first-group for their HIGHLY curated class. It all depends on the committee and what they wish each class should be like. Someone could've had a worse portfolio than you and received admission, but they wanted a class that was incredibly diverse. Who knows. We could never know what was going through the committee' minds. 

Anyway, congratulate yourselves for not receiving rejection letters, and instead having the opportunity to being in limbo! Good luck on everything else!   @rexkingiv

Edited by theresamei

@theresamei i just started designing last summer. I come from a fine arts background. I believe I can grow more as an artist...adding a bit more variety in my work but especially in how I speak about it. This was my shortcoming, being so new to this field and not being able to fully elaborate on why my work is so visceral. Which sounds like an oxymoron. 

Who really knows. I'm happy they even gave a guppy like me a chance. :-)

Edited by altiplano

4 hours ago, theresamei said:

There were actually 16 interviews. And four on the wait list as for now (well based off this forum). There are usually 7 slots for the 3-year, and 10 slots for the 2-year. However, not too sure what the yield is looking like this year. Also, I doubt it's based entirely off your design skills, because I come from a heavy design background, and I still wasn't selected in their first-group for their HIGHLY curated class. It all depends on the committee and what they wish each class should be like. Someone could've had a worse portfolio than you and received admission, but they wanted a class that was incredibly diverse. Who knows. We could never know what was going through the committee' minds. 

Anyway, congratulate yourselves for not receiving rejection letters, and instead having the opportunity to being in limbo! Good luck on everything else!   @rexkingiv

There's an article from the Yale student newspaper where the faculty mention that they're looking for students who aren't "cooked" yet. They like to see potential, which would explain why they might admit someone whose portfolio isn't "better" than someone else's--although I'm not sure if classifying such a portfolio as "worse" is really that helpful.

The students at RISD confirmed the same. They're not selecting for the people with the best and most-polished portfolios, they're selecting for people with stellar portfolios who have diverse interests, an openness to critique and change, and who will contribute to a unique dynamic that the cohort otherwise wouldn't have. Though it was said that if you're selected for interview, you definitely have what it takes to study there. If you didn't make it past that stage, it might just not be your year.

12 minutes ago, MSMSMS said:

There's an article from the Yale student newspaper where the faculty mention that they're looking for students who aren't "cooked" yet. They like to see potential, which would explain why they might admit someone whose portfolio isn't "better" than someone else's--although I'm not sure if classifying such a portfolio as "worse" is really that helpful.

The students at RISD confirmed the same. They're not selecting for the people with the best and most-polished portfolios, they're selecting for people with stellar portfolios who have diverse interests, an openness to critique and change, and who will contribute to a unique dynamic that the cohort otherwise wouldn't have. Though it was said that if you're selected for interview, you definitely have what it takes to study there. If you didn't make it past that stage, it might just not be your year.

Apologies, don't mean to use "worse" in its "worse ways" (if that makes sense) but more so to paint an exaggerated picture for those who are wait listed. But I agree with you a 100% as you depicted what I was meaning to say.

Congratulations on your acceptance, nonetheless! 

3 hours ago, altiplano said:

@theresamei i just started designing last summer. I come from a fine arts background. I believe I can grow more as an artist...adding a bit more variety in my work but especially in how I speak about it. This was my shortcoming, being so new to this field and not being able to fully elaborate on why my work is so visceral. Which sounds like an oxymoron. 

Who really knows. I'm happy they even gave a guppy like me a chance. :-)

Hey, graphic design is achievable no matter what background you come from, so don't feel as though you are behind any of the applicants. I think what really matters is how you use graphic design to communicate to the rest of the world. There are three big things to keep in mind: what you want to design, how you design it, and why you want to design it. But most importantly, stay opinionated (aka having a voice, your voice). Speaking about your work takes a lot of practice and a lot of audiences. I hope you have the chance to partake in it, because being able to verbally communicate your ideas/concepts is much more significant than just having the chops. 

But be proud of yourself. You showcased your work to some of the most renowned designers in the WORLD. That's a great experience to add to the books. 

19 hours ago, rexkingiv said:

Thank you guys for the profound comments! I just realized how amazing it is I even got an interview invitation despite having my artist statement written entirely with Comic Sans lmao. (It's correlated to my aesthetic, though. One of my submitted works is titled "COMIC SANS IS THE NEW GOTHAM" lol.)

Also, @MSMSMS, I know this is a long shot, but is your name referring to SOPHIE (an electronic music producer from UK)?

hahaha you sound amazing!