Think I should bother applying this year (MS I/o psych programs)?

Legend111

Hello all,

I am debating on whether or not I should submit applications this year to M.S programs in I/O psych.  I am conflicted because I do not have a lot of research experience (only one year).  I graduated in 2012 with a 3.7 GPA.  My GRE scores were 155 Q 152 V and 5.0 AWA. 

Since I've graduated in 2012, I've been working full-time in the following areas: recruiting, sales, HR, and staffing.  With only one year of being an RA under my belt, I am a little concerned about wasting my time applying to programs that will not accept me.  I am also concerned about having lackluster letters of rec. as I do not have close relationships with any professors. 

What do you guys think, should I spend another year to garner more research experience or do you think I am get in with these credentials?

Edited by Legend111

I would go for it. Masters programs are selective but nowhere near as selective as PhD, and generally emphasize research less (many are practice-orientated). Your grades are solid and so are your scores-- I would toss my hat in. You might also focus your statement on how you noticed an I/O topic occurring at work. 

If you wanted to go the PhD route I would raise your GRE (specifically quant) and gain research experience under an I/O psychologist. As a newer field, that world is very insular so getting the right recommenders is important. Less so for masters. Good Luck!