Postdoc vs TT job

Raody

Hullo,

Been applying for postdocs recently and have found a TT job add in US History (Merrimack, Mass.) and am wondering whether to send an application. But does anyone have an idea of the number of applications universities receive for postdocs vs TT jobs?

I also read somewhere that the TT will go to PhDs who got their degrees years ago and who have been through postdocs, rather than those who have just graduated. Thoughts? 

"am wondering whether to send an application."

There's a thread on CHE that basically amounts to three or four posters telling everyone feeling concerned to "apply for the damn job." It may be entirely the case that they decide to take someone with two postdocs. Or they might take you. But that feels like a separate question from whether you should "send an application." The answer to that question will always be "yes." 

On 1/9/2016 at 5:33 PM, mvlchicago said:

"am wondering whether to send an application."

There's a thread on CHE that basically amounts to three or four posters telling everyone feeling concerned to "apply for the damn job." It may be entirely the case that they decide to take someone with two postdocs. Or they might take you. But that feels like a separate question from whether you should "send an application." The answer to that question will always be "yes." 

I would echo this!  Of course, people with post-docs may have some advantages, but people do get TT jobs as ABD students, even though it is rare. I know a couple people who got TT jobs as ABD students. If you don't apply, you don't won't get it.  Also every application is practice for the next one.