I didn't get in!

bittersweet

:cry:

Against all advice and common sense, I called the head of the dept. He was actually nice and said because I called he'd tell me, even though they'll send notifications next week.

He said they had hundreds of applications, and unfortunatetely I was not accepted. No word yet as for the Masters program. He said he is more hopeful about getting into the MA. I can't believe it! Everyone kept telling me no way they won't accept me because of my record and achievments.

And this was the only school I applied to.

No plan B.

Now what??????

I'm in total despair.

:cry:

Don't despair. Really, there is no reason. Yes, it might have been a mistake to apply just to one university, but then, we always make mistakes somehow. Don't beat yourself up about it.

If you are accepted for the MA, I would strongly suggest that you think seriously about whether this is what you want to do. It might be more useful to take the year off and do another GRE, internship, some courses, something like that to polish your application up. Then reapply to this uni and at least four or five others, if you can afford it.

In order to understand that you are not the only one, have a look at the survey.

Don't despair. Really, there is no reason. Yes, it might have been a mistake to apply just to one university, but then, we always make mistakes somehow. Don't beat yourself up about it.

If you are accepted for the MA, I would strongly suggest that you think seriously about whether this is what you want to do. It might be more useful to take the year off and do another GRE, internship, some courses, something like that to polish your application up. Then reapply to this uni and at least four or five others, if you can afford it.

In order to understand that you are not the only one, have a look at the survey.

I know it may have been stupidity to apply to one place only, but I could not leave town for personal reasons, and had to apply to the local university, which happens to be a top one in North America.

Also, my circumstances are different. My BA looks more like an MA - with about 100 credits in my area alone, TA+RA, scholarships and presentations in Academic conferences. Seriously, if they don't accept me now, I don't know what else I'm supposed to do for them to take me.

And it means waiting another year until I apply to other schools. I am older than the average applicant, I should say even much older. I'm afraid the more I wait the less chances I have.

There is no consoling here.

It really seems like you did the best you could. And if you cannot wait for another year, then I really am keeping my fingers crossed for you that you manage to get into the MA. Maybe afterwards, they will be able to scoot you up into the PhD programme.

I just hope you will manage to get some funding as well, as that is often the problem with MAs...

wishing you the best of luck, even if I cannot console you.

It really seems like you did the best you could. And if you cannot wait for another year, then I really am keeping my fingers crossed for you that you manage to get into the MA. Maybe afterwards, they will be able to scoot you up into the PhD programme.

I just hope you will manage to get some funding as well, as that is often the problem with MAs...

wishing you the best of luck, even if I cannot console you.

Thank you.

If they tell me I got into the Masters program, I'm going, even if I have to beg, steal or rob the money (metaphorically speaking, of course). If I'm not, it's either becoming an alchoholic (just a joke here) or trying next year, this time expanding the search, unfortunately.

Oy, as a fellow older-returning student, I am totally afraid that this will work against me. I feel your pain re: wtf do I do with my life now? I haven't heard from my school yet, but I know what you're thinking....I have no clue what I will do if this doesn't work out.

Anyway, here are my suggestions for next year:

+ Scores and records and transcripts matter, but they are not everything. Don't put 100% of your faith in them. Among other things...

+ Academics want to know that you will continue to be productive once you are in, and once you are through. Do something else "academic" in the next few months, if at all possible. Perhaps you can get a new paper published.

+ Academics not only do not care about personal reasons, they believe they are contraindictions to academic work. Look at schools in other areas. If you look at your local school for personal reasons, don't mention them. Academics have a shitty attitude that 110% of your life is devoted to academia. And nothing else.

This is of course not reality, but play along.

+ Don't give the impression of being needy. Advisers want someone who will fawn over their awesome ideas, be cool to work with, bring glory to them indirectly by doing amazing work, etc. etc. They do not want to get the feeling that they will need to hold hands and babysit, however.

+ It's who you know. Try and figure out what conferences the academics in your dream program attend, and try to make it to at least one. Hand out business cards to every person you meet. Also, get on some professional mailing lists for relevant organizations that these people might be on, and make the occasional intelligent comment. People notice these things and sometimes remember.

Well, that's it for now. I'm about to get off work and go home (and...uh...check my mailbox). ugh.

Good luck with the MA program.

Oy, as a fellow older-returning student, I am totally afraid that this will work against me. I feel your pain re: wtf do I do with my life now? I haven't heard from my school yet, but I know what you're thinking....I have no clue what I will do if this doesn't work out.

Anyway, here are my suggestions for next year:

+ Scores and records and transcripts matter, but they are not everything. Don't put 100% of your faith in them. Among other things...

+ Academics want to know that you will continue to be productive once you are in, and once you are through. Do something else "academic" in the next few months, if at all possible. Perhaps you can get a new paper published.

+ Academics not only do not care about personal reasons, they believe they are contraindictions to academic work. Look at schools in other areas. If you look at your local school for personal reasons, don't mention them. Academics have a shitty attitude that 110% of your life is devoted to academia. And nothing else.

This is of course not reality, but play along.

+ Don't give the impression of being needy. Advisers want someone who will fawn over their awesome ideas, be cool to work with, bring glory to them indirectly by doing amazing work, etc. etc. They do not want to get the feeling that they will need to hold hands and babysit, however.

+ It's who you know. Try and figure out what conferences the academics in your dream program attend, and try to make it to at least one. Hand out business cards to every person you meet. Also, get on some professional mailing lists for relevant organizations that these people might be on, and make the occasional intelligent comment. People notice these things and sometimes remember.

Well, that's it for now. I'm about to get off work and go home (and...uh...check my mailbox). ugh.

Good luck with the MA program.

Thank you for the support and suggestions.

I always try to be involved in "academic" work. In fact, I was just invited to be a guest speaker in a conference in another university in the area. I'll probably accept.

After spending the evening browsing other schools' websites, I came to the conclusion I'll have to apply someplace far from here, which would require me to relocate. I honestly do NOT want to move away, but if I have to, I will. I do, in fact, have connections, and it's a matter of re-aquainting myself with certain people who can help me. In fact, back in the fall one or two OFFERED to do just that, but I was steadfast about going to this school that oh so graciously rejected me (after woing me. back in the summer, the head of the dept met with me and I got the grand tour, and was told other applicants are not treated that way!). Fine. It's back to New England then. Dammit.

You probably learned your lesson the hard way, but grad apps are like shooting craps with your professional life. You need to put out as many apps as possible to as many schools in as many cities in which you can stand to live.

I know my second round of grad school apps (for my phd this time) are going to cost me about $1,000.00 for eleven schools. It's the only way I can feel safe, though. I would hate to be stuck in a bad position after all the work I've done.

And it would be nice to have a few more (fully funded) offers to choose from this time.

You probably learned your lesson the hard way, but grad apps are like shooting craps with your professional life. You need to put out as many apps as possible to as many schools in as many cities in which you can stand to live.

I know my second round of grad school apps (for my phd this time) are going to cost me about $1,000.00 for eleven schools. It's the only way I can feel safe, though. I would hate to be stuck in a bad position after all the work I've done.

And it would be nice to have a few more (fully funded) offers to choose from this time.

Well, you're right, what can I tell ya.

I was really led to believe there would be no hitch. OK, moving on. I'll wait for the MA decision and then I'll have to make a series of decisions.

• 2 weeks later...
Please, let us know how things work out for you. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thank you.

I called AGAIN (yes, I know, I am a pain in the %^^) and was told Masters decisions - only the last week of March.

So basically I'm going insane not knowing, as I am in limbo here. Cannot make any informed decision right now.

If I get in, I'll go even though there is zero funding.

If I am rejected, I'll go for a second round next year, this time widening the search.

Not giving up in any way.

that must be tough having to wait that long. But at the same time, there is still a chance things might work out. It seems like you really want this, and therefore i think it is only right that you should keep on following your dream.

I myself will have an 18 months gap between finishing my MA and starting my PhD. It was a difficult time period, and I often was annoyed with myself for not managing to organise a PhD beforehand. But now, things have worked out for me and I will be starting in August/September. So, keep your hope up, but plan for the worst. That is always the best in my opinion. Good luck.

The waiting is killing me. I'm desperately trying to find pleasant distractions, even silly ones, just to keep my mind off the important, life changing issues. And I'm not good with the patience.

However, as I was told there will be no decision until the end of March, which means there is no point in calling / emailing, it's out of my hands and that's it. We'll see what happens, and if it's a "no", it's their loss, and it's up to me to roll the dice next year.

I happen to think 18 months is a great break between degrees. Helps one clears one's mind and retain focus. Trust me, once upon a time, I made the mistake of not taking a break at all between degrees and it turned out bad for me. I'm sure you're going to do wonderfully with your PhD. Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you learned your lesson, missy! Next time apply to more than one program. =)

yes, daddy! :lol:

Seriously, I just figured something out. I am looking at the date of this blessed letter, and you know what? when I spoke to the head of the department (as I mentioned @ the beginning of this thread) they had already made the decision. So when he said (twice) "I am very hopeful you will be accepted into the MA program", he was, as my friend said (and glass-half-empty-me dismissed) hinting I was actually in, but wouldn't spell it out. So two weeks worth of tears and utter self involvement - down the drain. ekk! :lol: