Chillin' at the terminal flying standby, while looking out the window waving goodbye

J. R., MPPA

The results page can be a real buzzkill.  Watching others getting accepted to my top programs... No interviews.. no waitlists.. not a peep.

I have a feeling it's basically a rejection.  

Is this usually the case?

4 minutes ago, J. R., MPPA said:

The results page can be a real buzzkill.  Watching others getting accepted to my top programs... No interviews.. no waitlists.. not a peep.

I have a feeling it's basically a rejection.  

Is this usually the case?

Sometimes. For two of the programs I got rejected from, I saw people reporting interviews, then people reporting decisions, while all this time I heard nothing. Then, a few weeks later, got the official rejection email. Oh well.

For others though, other people got notifications while I got nothing. Then a week later, they called to say I was accepted! When I visited, they apologized that it took so long for them to notify me. Apparently, they had divided up the task of calling candidates between professors and everyone else thought it was someone else's job to call me, so no one called me for a week until they realised I hadn't learned the news yet. 

So, I'd say that it's not over until it's over. I'll be honest though---it is generally not a good sign if many people have reported positive results and you haven't heard anything yet. But you don't know if it's a rejection or if you're on a standby list that they'll contact later. 

Not sure about your field, but in sociology, Acceptances sometimes come out in waves. Two years ago, my friend thought she got rejected cause she didn't get accepted when a bunch of other people did... About a week later, she awoke to an acceptance notice! Don't lose hope until you actually get a rejection!