STS Applicants - Fall 2016

Neist

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2016 at 8:34 PM, Logik said:

Yup!

Nice to meet you!

There doesn't seem to be many of us about. But then again, there isn't all that many STS programs, either.

Heard back from anything yet?

54 minutes ago, Neist said:

Nice to meet you!

There doesn't seem to be many of us about. But then again, there isn't all that many STS programs, either.

Heard back from anything yet?

Ditto!

Yeah, it was like this last year too. Not too many people within the STS thread, though the odd STSer could be found poking around within the history, anthropology, sociology, etc. threads. 

The programmes I applied to mainly had Jan 31/Feb 1 application closing dates, so I'm probably not going to hear back from them until early March (maybe very late February). None are even 'under review' yet... EDIT: Two have switched to 'under review' in the past 15 minutes.

Congrats on acceptance!

Edited by Logik

Greetings to both of you!

I'm also waiting to hear back from STS programs.

I had an invite to interview at Penn's History and Sociology of Science program, but I still haven't heard anything else (good or bad) from the other programs to which I applied.

I applied to a mix of programs - including several Comm programs where the school had an affiliated STS program.

Just waiting now.

Anxiously.

Edited by A Librarian

1 hour ago, Logik said:

Congrats on acceptance!

Thanks a bunch! It's not a well-funded offer (that program doesn't fund much), but it's an offer, none the less.

RPI's STS program has replied back as early as this week or next, so it's possible I hear from them soon. However, like you, most of the programs I applied to had deadlines in middle January. I fully expect to hear nothing for another month.

54 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

I had an invite to interview at Penn's History and Sociology of Science program, but I still haven't heard anything else (good or bad) from the other programs to which I applied.

I applied to a mix of programs - including several Comm programs where the school had an affiliated STS program.

Just waiting now.

Anxiously.

Congrats on the UPenn interview! I can't say I'm not jealous, but hopefully I stand a better shot at other programs! Do you mind sharing your interests / background?

Edited by nevermind

14 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Just waiting now.

Anxiously.

Hello, and congrats on the interview!

I'm also a little curious to hear about your interests. That sort of mix of programs sounds remarkably similar to what I was initially considering. I might even apply to some communication programs next cycle, assuming I don't get any solid offers this round. There's someone in the Life Sciences Communications program at MadWis that would be a pretty decent POI for me. I didn't apply this year because I was a tiny bit afraid of their funding situation. In hindsight I probably should have applied.

Thanks @nevermind and @Neist!

I applied to the following programs: Cornell (STS), UPenn (HSS), NYU (MCC), RPI (STS), University of Michigan (Comm/STS), UCSD (Comm/Science Studies), UBC (History/STS), University of Toronto (IHPST). But so far the only program I’ve heard anything back from is UPenn.

My research focuses on the social, cultural and intellectual history of technology with a particular emphasis on the development of the critique of technology (especially the work of Lewis Mumford and Günther Anders). Much of my recent work looks at extreme ideological reactions to technological change (Luddism, Anarcho-Primitivism, Accelerationism, Reactionary Modernism, and so forth) in particular as these emerge and are enacted in the Anthropocene. Much of this work explores the fear that in the human built world, humans have made themselves obsolete. I’m also interested in the interplay between ethics and technological change.

As for background, I have a BA from Ithaca College, an MSIS from UT-Austin (and several years of work experience as a librarian), I’m finishing an MA at NYU (MCC) and I have an assortment of publications, conference presentations, and teaching positions. I applied to several Communications programs as many of them seemed to have a bit more disciplinary flexibility than some of the straight up history programs at which I looked. I’ve also found media studies/communications programs to be good environments for my research interests (though an actual STS program would be great).

But now I’m just waiting.

What about all of you? Interests? Background?

Good luck to us all! Hopefully we’ll start hearing good news soon!

2 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Thanks @nevermind and @Neist!

I applied to the following programs: Cornell (STS), UPenn (HSS), NYU (MCC), RPI (STS), University of Michigan (Comm/STS), UCSD (Comm/Science Studies), UBC (History/STS), University of Toronto (IHPST). But so far the only program I’ve heard anything back from is UPenn.

My research focuses on the social, cultural and intellectual history of technology with a particular emphasis on the development of the critique of technology (especially the work of Lewis Mumford and Günther Anders). Much of my recent work looks at extreme ideological reactions to technological change (Luddism, Anarcho-Primitivism, Accelerationism, Reactionary Modernism, and so forth) in particular as these emerge and are enacted in the Anthropocene. Much of this work explores the fear that in the human built world, humans have made themselves obsolete. I’m also interested in the interplay between ethics and technological change.

As for background, I have a BA from Ithaca College, an MSIS from UT-Austin (and several years of work experience as a librarian), I’m finishing an MA at NYU (MCC) and I have an assortment of publications, conference presentations, and teaching positions. I applied to several Communications programs as many of them seemed to have a bit more disciplinary flexibility than some of the straight up history programs at which I looked. I’ve also found media studies/communications programs to be good environments for my research interests (though an actual STS program would be great).

But now I’m just waiting.

Very cool! I'm also doing history of tech, but mostly built environment (water systems in Israel / Palestine). I have a B.A. from a low-ranking liberal arts school, an M.A. in Jewish Studies (from Hebrew College), and a Master's degree in International Agriculture and Rural Development (from Cornell University). I have the requisite language prep work (years of Hebrew and 2 years of Arabic), 1 publication, 1 presentation and 1 poster presentation. I've taught as an adjunct for 5 classes (4 lower division English, 1 upper division religion), and was a TA in the Near Eastern Studies department at Cornell for 2 classes and a TA in the Biological and Environmental Engineering department for 1 class. 2 international fieldwork projects, etc. etc. etc. Hopefully, these experiences make up for my completely lackluster quant. GRE. :)

I don't really know how it works at UCSD in terms of Science Studies admits (whether they admit people in the Science program or through the home department)...My POI there (in history, not Comm.) told me this past Saturday (2nd Skype discussion) that they haven't started the adcom discussions yet, so I think we have a little longer to wait on UCSD. 

Edited by nevermind

2 hours ago, nevermind said:

Very cool! I'm also doing history of tech, but mostly built environment (water systems in Israel / Palestine). I have a B.A. from a low-ranking liberal arts school, an M.A. in Jewish Studies (from Hebrew College), and a Master's degree in International Agriculture and Rural Development (from Cornell University). I have the requisite language prep work (years of Hebrew and 2 years of Arabic), 1 publication, 1 presentation and 1 poster presentation. I've taught as an adjunct for 5 classes (4 lower division English, 1 upper division religion), and was a TA in the Near Eastern Studies department at Cornell for 2 classes and a TA in the Biological and Environmental Engineering department for 1 class. 2 international fieldwork projects, etc. etc. etc. Hopefully, these experiences make up for my completely lackluster quant. GRE. :)

Zounds! That is a really impressive background - you have tons of teaching experience and your research sounds very interesting! I'm curious why you didn't apply to Cornell's STS program given your background at Cornell? It seemed to me like there were many professors there with a strong background on enviro-tech/infrastructure topics. Granted, the list of schools you applied to is excellent.

I also don't know how things are decided at UCSD in terms of Science Studies, but I think you're right  that admission to Science Studies comes after admission to a home department (congratulations on the interview with the history department!). I also think that you can apply to Science Studies from within UCSD later on in your academic career (but I'm not sure).

Based on looking at the lists of when people have heard back in the past I imagine that the school I'll probably hear a decision from first will be RPI. But I shall wait and see. I'm trying not to check my e-mail too often. Emphasis on "trying."

Good luck with IHPST @anthrostudentcyn!

2 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

Zounds! That is a really impressive background - you have tons of teaching experience and your research sounds very interesting! I'm curious why you didn't apply to Cornell's STS program given your background at Cornell? It seemed to me like there were many professors there with a strong background on enviro-tech/infrastructure topics. Granted, the list of schools you applied to is excellent.

Thanks! Your background looks equally impressive. I thought I'd have a slight edge with two Master's degrees, but apparently not!

I took a graduate-level STS class at Cornell (on environ. history), so I'm a little familiar with the department (FWIW, it was my first STS class ever and I'd never read Kuhn, Haraway, or Latour...so I didn't quite contribute amazing insights on much of the readings). It's excellent department, facilitates a lot of great discussion/collaboration, and the professors really seem to invest a lot into their students. I think it would've been a decent research fit, Cornell doesn't facilitate as much as I would've liked for exploring themes in science and religion (e.g. Cornell doesn't really have a "religion" department..), so it could've been an uphill battle for some of my research (Cornell's slope, notwithstanding). There is one specific person (who isn't tenured) is doing work that significantly overlaps with mine (and one of the scholars I really admire did his Ph.D. there), but it's so competitive that I really didn't see myself as having much of a chance, honestly. Best of luck to you and @Neist in applying there!

5 hours ago, A Librarian said:

I probably far less impressive background than both of you, but here goes!

I'm an undergrad at the University of Oklahoma majoring in History of Science, Technology, and Medicine. I've been lucky to be reared in a strong program in which I've excelled, if I might shyly boast. I'm interested in cultural artifacts and technologies that act as mediums of societal bias and rhetoric and how such mediums affect and reflect professional identities. At the broadest definition, my interests include any medium, but up to this point I've focused on biographies. I've worked in libraries for over a dozen years, so a monographic focus has been natural, but I'd like to expand my focus in graduate school.

I've given one presentation (with a second likely soon) and am currently polishing a paper in hopes of submission this spring. I also have strong letters from known figures within history of science and STS. Even so, Cornell is definitely a reach school. Both Cornell and RPI are both PhD programs, and while I'm completely confident I'm ready for a PhD program, I know there will be many, many applicants, many of whom already hold graduate-level degrees. 

It's been fairly difficult to locate any program that aligns with interests, let alone any specific individual. If I don't get any decent offers this spring I'll probably apply to programs next round that train me in technical skills necessary to continue my existing research. I could very easily study what I've studied and how I've studied it within library programs. A lot of my work has delved into the digital humanities as well, so I could consider that direction as well.

Heck, a information science or library PhD is probably far more practical than a history or STS one. It's something to consider if this round doesn't go well for me.

Thanks @nevermind! It's a long shot, but it's worth attempting. Cornell STS only has around a 7% acceptance rate. It's not terribly high.

Edited by Neist

5 hours ago, Neist said:

Heck, a information science or library PhD is probably far more practical than a history or STS one. It's something to consider if this round doesn't go well for me.

Thanks @nevermind! It's a long shot, but it's worth attempting. Cornell STS only has around a 7% acceptance rate. It's not terribly high.

@Neist - I think you stand a good chance. You seem to know specifically what you want to do and you have additional work experience to back it up. I think it's clear that you'd be successful in a graduate program. That being said, did you look at UCSD's Comm. program with a Science Studies specialty? It might be something to keep an eye on in the future. :)

17 hours ago, Neist said:

It's been fairly difficult to locate any program that aligns with interests, let alone any specific individual. If I don't get any decent offers this spring I'll probably apply to programs next round that train me in technical skills necessary to continue my existing research. I could very easily study what I've studied and how I've studied it within library programs. A lot of my work has delved into the digital humanities as well, so I could consider that direction as well.

@Neist Your research interests seem very focused and interesting, I'm sure you had an excellent statement of purpose, and it sounds like you also had very strong recommendations. And the Drexel program is really excellent, so you already have a decent offer (congratulations!). Granted, I have no idea what kind of financial aid Drexel offers, and financial aid offers certainly factor into these decisions.

If you wind up applying in another cycle you might want to look at Communication Studies and Media Studies programs as some of them seem like they might overlap nicely with your interests (University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, NYU's department of Media, Culture and Communication, and I echo @nevermind's recommendation of UCSD with a focus in Science Studies). University of Michigan - Ann Arbor also has a library program (School of Information) which is affiliated with the school's designated concentration in STS - it could be an excellent way for you to bridge your interests!

Also, feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions about library programs. I'm afraid that very few of them feature much in the way of robust "history of the book" training, most of them are more-or-less professional training programs which are preparing people to go out and be librarians or archivists. That's not to say that there aren't good library school programs out there, but they tend to be more about preparing you to help other people do their research, not preparing you to do your own research. And while some of them are starting to have more of a DH focus this still varies from one place to the next. In the last few years a number of universities have begun DH departments (I'm pretty sure that CUNY has one and VCU has the MATX program), and those could also be good alternatives. As a field librarianship is trying to figure out its future right now, and as a result a lot of the library school programs out there are a little bit scattershot.  

But based on your research interests and background I wouldn't worry too much about a second round of applications, it sounds like you're going to do well this round!

Good luck with your interview at UCSD @nevermind! Hopefully their Comm department will start making decisions soon...

2 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Good luck with your interview at UCSD @nevermind! Hopefully their Comm department will start making decisions soon...

Thanks! My discussions with my POI have gone well...so I'm hopeful! I hope I'm also nominated for a fellowship (nothing has been said either way about it) that would significantly help paying the extreme rent prices in SD. :)

@nevermind and @A Librarian, I appreciate the kind words!

I did look at  UCSD, but probably not as much as I should have. I'll dig back into it if this cycle doesn't pan out. I also did research U. Mich. and NYU, but U. Mich.'s abysmal acceptance rates scared me off. However, I would fit fairly well into their English department. "Science and Literature" is one of their stated emphasis. And NYU I dismissed almost immediately. I'm married with a daughter. NYU would be astronomically expensive.

I'll definitely get into contact with you about library programs. My current research is, for lack of a modern term, bibliographic. It's not bibliographic in the traditional sense, but I've used bibliographic research to inform my historical analysis. If I continue my current research, I'd love to dig into bibliography more, but finding a program that focuses on bibliography is about as easy as becoming a formally trained horologist. The only place that I can fathom receiving relevant training is at OU, where I'm currently located. There's a dual masters program in MLIS and history of science here, and the bibliographer for Isis is one of the history of science faculty members. Any of the programs I applied to can support my interests, but OU is probably the best place to approach them bibliographically. I'd probably have to consider other methodologies and/or mediums elsewhere.

As for Drexel, I've been told it's a great program by people I trust, but there's not a lot of financial support. I received a Dean's Fellowship, but it's only for up to $5,600 a year, and the program doesn't seem to give tuition waivers. I'd have support myself, my wife, and my daughter for two years, in a private school. It would get costly. Apparently there is the option of becoming a research assistant, but I imagine such a possibility is unlikely until one's second year.

It's a good option, and I'm glad it's there, but it's an expensive option.

@A Librarian I'm a first year PhD student at U of M in their STS program (I've completed the STS requirements because I have a master's degree from here as well and I started the STS certificate while in that program). I'm in American Culture & STS. I share an interest in the history of technology but I'm interested in the how improvements in technology in the early-mid 20th century enabled things like mass incarceration and eugenic sterilization programs. 

Anyway, I know you're in the sucky waiting for decisions phase but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! 

@Neist That joint History of Science and MLIS program at OU sounds awesome, I wish I had known about it when I first decided to go to library school! There are a fair number of interesting programs out there that let you earn an MLIS at the same time as another MA (I know of some in history departments and English departments). Nevertheless, I certainly understand your point about program cost and the cost of living in various cities. I'm currently finishing up an MA in NYC and can definitely testify that this city is extremely expensive (I'm working full-time as well as being in school at the moment). That being said, I do think that many of the NYC PhD programs offer decent enough funding that people are able to get by (especially if they pick up a TA or GA position). But I definitely think that one of the challenges of all of this is that first you have to wait to get in...and then you have to wait to figure out if you can actually afford to go.

Thanks @kateosee for the offer! Your research topic sounds fascinating! When I applied to UMich I definitely gave some consideration to their American Culture program before deciding to apply to Comm. I will certainly take you up on your offer to answer questions about the program if I get into UMich. But, alas, as of now that's still just an "if."

Ruh roh. RPI STS had an acceptance pop on the results. Wasn't me. :)

As much as I'd like to hope it's an anomaly, my gut tells me that I didn't make it.

Edited by Neist

13 hours ago, Neist said:

Ruh roh. RPI STS had an acceptance pop on the results. Wasn't me. :)

As much as I'd like to hope it's an anomaly, my gut tells me that I didn't make it.

That's too bad @Neist. I feel like it's a really competitive group this year. However, if last year's results are any indication, someone heard via email (from RPI) on the 4th and someone was accepted via email on the 10th...so maybe they don't send all their notifications out at  once. Here's hoping for better news!

25 minutes ago, nevermind said:

That's too bad @Neist. I feel like it's a really competitive group this year. However, if last year's results are any indication, someone heard via email (from RPI) on the 4th and someone was accepted via email on the 10th...so maybe they don't send all their notifications out at  once. Here's hoping for better news!

That's my thought as well, but I admit I wasn't as good as of a fit for RPI, at least not as good as a fit as my other schools.

I'm not going to assume anything until another week or so passes.

I was accepted to RPI on Friday! I received a basic e-mail telling me to check the site, and when I logged in there was a simple "congratulations." Evidently more information is to follow, and there was no information about fellowships or other kinds of financial aid. Still, I'm very excited!

I think that @nevermind is right though:

On 2/6/2016 at 11:03 AM, nevermind said:

if last year's results are any indication, someone heard via email (from RPI) on the 4th and someone was accepted via email on the 10th...so maybe they don't send all their notifications out at  once. Here's hoping for better news!

It seems like RPI doesn't send out all of its notifications at once, so there may be more acceptances still to come from them this week. 

4 hours ago, A Librarian said:

I was accepted to RPI on Friday! I received a basic e-mail telling me to check the site, and when I logged in there was a simple "congratulations."

Fantastic news @A Librarian! I like stories like these because it reaffirms that it's okay not to get a call directly from the DGS or POI in order to be admitted. :)