STS Applicants - Fall 2016

Neist

I just talked to Cornell on the phone re: my application status. Turns out the decisions have apparently been made but not everything has been sent out yet. I don't know how potentially waitlisted applicants are affected by this, but I was told to get in touch if I had not heard back anything by Friday.

3 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

I just talked to Cornell on the phone re: my application status. Turns out the decisions have apparently been made but not everything has been sent out yet. I don't know how potentially waitlisted applicants are affected by this, but I was told to get in touch if I had not heard back anything by Friday.

I'll hope the best for you! :) 

9 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'll hope the best for you! :) 

Thanks! Alternatively, I was told that the ApplyWeb page would also show admission decisions - mine just says "submitted". Can anyone confirm whether the ApplyWeb status shows a change from the "submitted" now that apparently decisions are sort of out?

3 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

Thanks! Alternatively, I was told that the ApplyWeb page would also show admission decisions - mine just says "submitted". Can anyone confirm whether the ApplyWeb status shows a change from the "submitted" now that apparently decisions are sort of out?

For Cornell STS mine is, and always has been, "Complete."

*shrugs* I've come to believe these websites are largely useless for application status. :D 

2 hours ago, nevermind said:

Hopefully you guys don't beat yourself up for it. I know how hard it is to get accepted from "dream" programs, but now I'm so pumped about UCSD (especially with their financial offer) that it's becoming a "dream program" for me. Hopefully your other offers will do the same for you!

At the end of the day I think that "the right school" is the one you decide to go to. I know that sounds cheesy (note: it is in fact cheesy) - but sometimes what starts as a dream quickly turns into a nightmare, or it just becomes really weird and stops making sense altogether (and now I have talked about dreams [also cheesy]). It's easy to conclude that a school would be a perfect fit for you, but I think we all probably know people who went to the "perfect fit school" and wound up having a less than stellar time. I think that everybody on this board seems really committed to doing serious STS work, and I think we'll all be able to do it wherever we wind up!

I'm looking forward to running into all of you at conferences in the not too distant future!

1 minute ago, A Librarian said:

At the end of the day I think that "the right school" is the one you decide to go to. I know that sounds cheesy (note: it is in fact cheesy) - but sometimes what starts as a dream quickly turns into a nightmare, or it just becomes really weird and stops making sense altogether (and now I have talked about dreams [also cheesy]). It's easy to conclude that a school would be a perfect fit for you, but I think we all probably know people who went to the "perfect fit school" and wound up having a less than stellar time. I think that everybody on this board seems really committed to doing serious STS work, and I think we'll all be able to do it wherever we wind up!

I'm looking forward to running into all of you at conferences in the not too distant future!

I agree!

Even if my only funded option is BGSU, it is sort of a dream program, to me. Every course I've read syllabi on sounded fantastic. The department was wonderful, and everyone was incredibly friendly. I liked the town. It'll be a good regional fit for me and my family. Now, I have no clue what I'd do with a popular culture MA, but maybe, at some level, practical considerations matter less.

I'm going to graduate school because I'm passionate about something. I mean, there's certainly nothing incredibly practical about a STS or history of science MA, either.

I'm going to be happy no matter what happens.

1 minute ago, Logik said:

First acceptance under my belt, so that is a nice bit of relief. I have a feeling the rest will keep me waiting well into March though.

Congrats! :D 

It really has been a great day for news. Lots of news rolling out.

31 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

I also just got accepted to York STS! Congrats!

Congrats to you too!

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Congrats! :D 

It really has been a great day for news. Lots of news rolling out.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, ladyobscure said:

@Logik out of curiosity, what's your research on? Do you have a supervisor yet?

I'm interested in biosocial entanglements, and will likely be working with Aryn Martin, Natasha Myers and Ernst Hamm.

In general, I'm interested in the cultural history of technology and technological imaginaries, with a particular focus on Canada during the Cold War. I'm drawn to technologies that Canada has used in an attempt to construct a 'unique' identity, create the perception of control over its frontiers, and demand levels of recognition/sovereignty from global powers. Currently working with Edward Jones-Imhotep and would continue on with that if I decide to stay at York for my PhD.

There is definitely a good selection of profs to work with based on your interests, with Aryn, Natasha, and Ernie allowing you to address it from a sociological, anthropological, and historical viewpoint. Denielle Elliott would be another possibility.

I'm not sure if Aryn has mentioned it to you yet, but this 4S/EASST track will probably post up a few papers that will be of interest to you once finalised: http://www.nomadit.co.uk/easst/easst_4s2016/panels.php5?PanelID=3930

12 hours ago, Logik said:

In general, I'm interested in the cultural history of technology and technological imaginaries, with a particular focus on Canada during the Cold War. I'm drawn to technologies that Canada has used in an attempt to construct a 'unique' identity, create the perception of control over its frontiers, and demand levels of recognition/sovereignty from global powers. Currently working with Edward Jones-Imhotep and would continue on with that if I decide to stay at York for my PhD.

There is definitely a good selection of profs to work with based on your interests, with Aryn, Natasha, and Ernie allowing you to address it from a sociological, anthropological, and historical viewpoint. Denielle Elliott would be another possibility.

I'm not sure if Aryn has mentioned it to you yet, but this 4S/EASST track will probably post up a few papers that will be of interest to you once finalised: http://www.nomadit.co.uk/easst/easst_4s2016/panels.php5?PanelID=3930

So this may perhaps make my IRL identity obvious but I'm a masters student at York (not STS) and Aryn is my thesis supervisor... I already submitted my masters topic in that panel :P I assume you're currently in STS? I know many PhD students there 

51 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

Also still no news from Cornell. Clearly they are fucking with me 

Well, considering a lot of us got rejections, and some acceptances went out (I assume), you might be wait listed, which is far better than any of us.

I think you still have hope! :) 

3 hours ago, ladyobscure said:

Also still no news from Cornell. Clearly they are fucking with me 

I agree with @Neist on this one - no news could actually be good news. If you haven't heard anything by Monday you're probably in the clear to e-mail them.

2 hours ago, anxiousgradgirl said:

I am still waiting to hear back from Cornell. I am also waiting to hear back about UPenn HSS and History at the University of Washington. Does anyone have any news from these programs?

I think that my, above, comment to @ladyobscure holds true for you as well - it might mean you're on the waitlist. As for Penn's HSS I'm pretty sure that the admissions offers have gone out, but if you still haven't heard anything yet you could probably contact them as well. I have no idea about the University of Washington though.

Edited by A Librarian
(spelling error - I am ashamed)

22 hours ago, Neist said:

Well, considering a lot of us got rejections, and some acceptances went out (I assume), you might be wait listed, which is far better than any of us.

I think you still have hope! :) 

Well...I'm still hopeful then! Still haven't heard back from Cornell OR Chicago's CHSS program though apparently they did send out an acceptance last week...not sure what to make of anything but also super nervous to contact Cornell again because I just called them last week...

Just now, ladyobscure said:

Well...I'm still hopeful then! Still haven't heard back from Cornell OR Chicago's CHSS program though apparently they did send out an acceptance last week...not sure what to make of anything but also super nervous to contact Cornell again because I just called them last week...

Today would be the day, I assume. A lot of programs send out contacts on Friday afternoons.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)