Basically rethinking my entire application...

dear_valentine07

Loooooong time education forum lurker here and I'm reaching out for some advice. 

When I was going through the application process, I was pretty optimistic. I knew that my stats were borderline, but I had a feeling that if I just stayed positive and wrote a bad-ass application, maybe it would work out. I'm starting to rethink everything now. Here are my stats: 

Undergrad: Public University

Major: Accounting

GPA: 3.1 (hated what I was studying, didn't realize it until I graduated), LOTS of campus leadership and 4+ accounting internships at Fortune 50 company.

GRE: 157V/161Q/5AWA -> 75%V/81%Q/93%AWA

Work Experience: 4+ years, Big 4 Accounting Firm, Teach for America (promoted twice in two years), Ed Pioneers Fellow 

Volunteer Experience: STEM Mentor for high school students and Literacy non-profit Associate Board.

SOP: I'm naturally a bit biased, but I think it's quite strong. My goals are clearly defined and I did a lot of research on which professors I'd like to work with and related it to my goals quite clearly.

Letter of Rec: Dean of Instruction, Dean of Students, School Director

Schools applied to: HGSE, HKS, UPenn GSE, UPenn Fels, Stanford POLS

I kind of need a reality check. Do I have a shot at all? Or should I just stop getting my hopes up and start looking for what I'll be doing after my fellowship ends? (Not trying to be dramatic, I just really want to know). 

6 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

Loooooong time education forum lurker here and I'm reaching out for some advice. 

When I was going through the application process, I was pretty optimistic. I knew that my stats were borderline, but I had a feeling that if I just stayed positive and wrote a bad-ass application, maybe it would work out. I'm starting to rethink everything now. Here are my stats: 

Undergrad: Public University

Major: Accounting

GPA: 3.1 (hated what I was studying, didn't realize it until I graduated), LOTS of campus leadership and 4+ accounting internships at Fortune 50 company.

GRE: 157V/161Q/5AWA -> 75%V/81%Q/93%AWA

Work Experience: 4+ years, Big 4 Accounting Firm, Teach for America (promoted twice in two years), Ed Pioneers Fellow 

Volunteer Experience: STEM Mentor for high school students and Literacy non-profit Associate Board.

SOP: I'm naturally a bit biased, but I think it's quite strong. My goals are clearly defined and I did a lot of research on which professors I'd like to work with and related it to my goals quite clearly.

Letter of Rec: Dean of Instruction, Dean of Students, School Director

Schools applied to: HGSE, HKS, UPenn GSE, UPenn Fels, Stanford POLS

I kind of need a reality check. Do I have a shot at all? Or should I just stop getting my hopes up and start looking for what I'll be doing after my fellowship ends? (Not trying to be dramatic, I just really want to know). 

You have virtually the same GRE scores as me, and more experience---I was recently accepted to Penn GSE.  As you know, it's only your GPA that would hold you back, but you did the right thing in applying to these schools, because you stand a chance and you believe in yourself, and I truly think that confidence in your SOP is what shines through.  

When did your Penn application say "ready for review"?  

Edited by Heather1011

Just now, Heather1011 said:

You have virtually the same GRE scores as me, and more experience---I was recently accepted to Penn GSE.  As you know, it's only your GPA that would hold you back, but you did the right thing in applying to these schools, because you stand a chance and you believe in yourself, and I truly think that confidence in your SOP is what shines through.  

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! That's really exciting. Do you mind me asking when you applied to Penn? I applied two weeks ago and I'm curious about their turnaround time. 

Just now, dear_valentine07 said:

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! That's really exciting. Do you mind me asking when you applied to Penn? I applied two weeks ago and I'm curious about their turnaround time. 

It's in my signature :)  My application was complete 12/13, and I heard back 1/15.  If you don't count the week they were off for Christmas, that's only about 3 weeks!  I was surprised it came that fast, I was expecting to wait at least another week or two.  The official wait time is 6-8 weeks, but it seems they are processing them quickly this year.  Previous years it was 4-6 weeks they said, but last year was super slow because they changed systems.  It seems this year they are used to the system, because another poster here found out within a month prior to Christmas, and I found out during a very busy time for them as well.  So you should expect to hear back in another two weeks or so, I think!

15 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

It's in my signature :)  My application was complete 12/13, and I heard back 1/15.  If you don't count the week they were off for Christmas, that's only about 3 weeks!  I was surprised it came that fast, I was expecting to wait at least another week or two.  The official wait time is 6-8 weeks, but it seems they are processing them quickly this year.  Previous years it was 4-6 weeks they said, but last year was super slow because they changed systems.  It seems this year they are used to the system, because another poster here found out within a month prior to Christmas, and I found out during a very busy time for them as well.  So you should expect to hear back in another two weeks or so, I think!

Thank you so much for your insight!

• 3 weeks later...

Dear_Valentine,

Have you heard anything back from Fels yet? I was notified on Monday that I am being offered an interview with an alumni or professor. On Facebook, it says that decisions will be sent out in mid-march.

:)

1 hour ago, Klo724 said:

Dear_Valentine,

Have you heard anything back from Fels yet? I was notified on Monday that I am being offered an interview with an alumni or professor. On Facebook, it says that decisions will be sent out in mid-march.

:)

Hi there,

No, I haven't heard back yet. I'm really confused about the interview process. When I looked online, it said that the only applicants that were going to be interviewed were ones that were doing the Executive MPA. Is that what you're doing?

• 2 weeks later...
On February 4, 2016 at 2:31 PM, dear_valentine07 said:

Hi there,

No, I haven't heard back yet. I'm really confused about the interview process. When I looked online, it said that the only applicants that were going to be interviewed were ones that were doing the Executive MPA. Is that what you're doing?

No, I am going the traditional. I have dug around a lot to find out that there is an interview but not "required". I asked admissions and they said that it does impact the admissions decision but it is also informative for the applicant. I agree, it was not stated clearly on the website. 

I think Stanford GSE might be the nation's toughest ED school to get into.. Tons of rejections from search result... People with 3.8 GPA+80~90 percentile GRE in all V/Q/AW are getting rejected from masters

Except for Stanford just because nobody gets in, I think you have a good shot at rest of the programs...

HGSE and Penn GSE, Penn Fels for sure..  I think HKS is a bit more difficult but you can probably get in if they value your work experience. Good luck!