Apply for 2 programs at 1 school?

dancedementia

This seems like such a simple question but I can't find an answer - I apologize if it's buried in search results!

Would it "look bad" if I applied for 2 programs at a single school? For example, if I applied for Clinical Psychology AND Counseling Psychology at the same university (they're in different departments, so no overlap of faculty). There's one university that I'm interested in - both their Clinical and Counseling programs are fairly balanced and I can identify a strong POI in both departments. I figured applying for both programs might increase my overall chances of getting into at least ONE of them haha.

However, would the main graduate admissions office see this and flag me as not focused? Would profs in one department know that I had applied to the other department?

Edited by dancedementia

I'm doing the exact thing for one university and I don't think the graduate admissions office would frown upon you at all. It just shows you're interested in more than one program, so maybe it'll make you stand out. *crosses fingers*

1 hour ago, dancedementia said:

This seems like such a simple question but I can't find an answer - I apologize if it's buried in search results!

Would it "look bad" if I applied for 2 programs at a single school? For example, if I applied for Clinical Psychology AND Counseling Psychology at the same university (they're in different departments, so no overlap of faculty). There's one university that I'm interested in - both their Clinical and Counseling programs are fairly balanced and I can identify a strong POI in both departments. I figured applying for both programs might increase my overall chances of getting into at least ONE of them haha.

However, would the main graduate admissions office see this and flag me as not focused? Would profs in one department know that I had applied to the other department?

I think it's generally fine to apply to two programs in one university provided they are in different departments. Some schools specifically say you can't do that, though. My understanding is that most schools appreciate and support collaboration with colleagues, so maybe identifying professors in two departments with matching research interests could benefit the application?  Good luck!

Playing devil's advocate, I would be concerned depending on what program level you're applying for.  If it's at the Master's level, I think that's a non-issue since you're really trying out the 'fit' of your potential profession at that point.  However, if you're applying to two programs at the Ph.D. level, it might be interpreted that you aren't completely committed to one or the other.

This becomes an issue since there is so much funding and program specificity that is inherent with doctoral programs. Ph.D. programs are so selective in the first place because there's a lot of money at stake on the college's end (well, it's not a lot to them, but they're penny-pinchers). A department can't have a student that they've dropped 10 or 20k into to suddenly go run off into the sunset with someone else.

Best of luck! :)

On 1/23/2016 at 8:29 PM, ickmalion said:

However, if you're applying to two programs at the Ph.D. level, it might be interpreted that you aren't completely committed to one or the other.

Yeah, this was my primary concern too. The frustrating thing is that I'm studying a specific topic that one faculty member from each department is also studying (just from different angles). I can't decide which I'd prefer to work with (slash would be okay with working with either)... so was wondering if applying to both programs and specifically citing the POI would smooth out that potential misunderstanding.

On 1/24/2016 at 6:39 PM, dancedementia said:

Yeah, this was my primary concern too. The frustrating thing is that I'm studying a specific topic that one faculty member from each department is also studying (just from different angles). I can't decide which I'd prefer to work with (slash would be okay with working with either)... so was wondering if applying to both programs and specifically citing the POI would smooth out that potential misunderstanding.

If you'd really be fine going in either direction (clinical = psychopathology & counseling = helping distressed normative pop., albeit with modern nuances blurring the distinction)... Since you're still a ways out on app deadlines why not take the time to pore over each POI's publications and articles? Although they may be addressing similar topics, you mention the angle varies.  Ergo, you may find one's quant/qual balance to be your perfect porridge.  Or! Consider where they're sourcing their studies from, what age and demographics they work with, and what outcomes they seem to be focusing on (e.g., applied vs. theoretical, etc.).  Contact both POI's and discuss your concerns; one or both may help out.

You may find that one ends up appealing to you more than the other.  Otherwise, you'll be able to write two distinct app essays that clearly justify why you applied to both if/when read together... In which case I think that the risks of applying to both would be minimized.

Tl;dr: Go for it if it's really that close, but if you do- do your research. ;)

I don't think it's an issue at all. It's possible that both departments won't know that you applied for the other one depending on how/who reviews the applications. 

The only thing I would suggest is that if you do get an interview, be prepared to answer the "why are you interested in clinical/counseling psychology as opposed to other fields"? which in my experience has come up quite frequently.