2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

I took two years of Danish and talked about Kierkegaard with my Danish instructor who was a Dane. It's -gor. 'aa'/'å' (same letter in the Danish alphabet) has an 'o' sound so when mixed with an 'r' makes the 'or' sound. 'D' is often silent when it lands in the middle or end of a word, unless there are more vowels on the other side then you can get the 'th' sound. 

Edited by sidebysondheim

26 minutes ago, sidebysondheim said:

I took two years of Danish and talked about Kierkegaard with my Danish instructor who was a Dane. It's -gor. 'aa'/'å' (same letter in the Danish alphabet) has an 'o' sound so when mixed with an 'r' makes the 'or' sound. 'D' is often silent when it lands in the middle or end of a word, unless there are more vowels on the other side then you can get the 'th' sound. 

Understanding why it's pronounced that way makes me feel less weird about it. Thanks! 

15 minutes ago, sneakysombrero said:

What are the odds that Princeton is spreading out its calls over 3+ days, i.e. that we're still in the running if we haven't yet received a call?

I'm still hoping: in 2015, about a dozen acceptances were posted. In 2014, eight were posted. In 2013, four. 2012, about eight again. So our current three is well below what we'd expect.

I mean I'm kind of dying. Before it's deleted, for your viewing pleasure:

Yale, Philosophy Phd, Accepted: "Expected. 2 pubs in geology, pre-calc tutor, 2 letters of rec all from berkeley phds in geology, 3 letter of rec from a john jopkins phds in philosophy. undergrad research in continental w/ a faculty here at Texas A&M"

Plus... I'm sure they *totally* called on a Sunday at 10:30 pm, haha

Edited by philosophe

7 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I mean I'm kind of dying. Before it's deleted, for your viewing pleasure:

Yale, Philosophy Phd, Accepted: "Expected. 2 pubs in geology, pre-calc tutor, 2 letters of rec all from berkeley phds in geology, 3 letter of rec from a john jopkins phds in philosophy. undergrad research in continental w/ a faculty here at Texas A&M"

Plus... I'm sure they *totally* called on a Sunday at 10:30 pm, haha

7 minutes ago, philosophe said:

What the hell happened to the formatting and my awesome Continental drift joke?! 

*throws computer*

Edited by psm1580b

14 minutes ago, psm1580b said:

What the hell happened to the formatting and my awesome Continental drift joke?! 

*throws computer*

Oh shit. Now I get it! Continental drift (I said shift tho cuz idk what I'm talking about, apparently) ! Damn. It took me making the joke in my head to understand how clever you are (because, I, too, am clever, see?). 

Edited by MVSCZAR

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

I knew I didn't include enough stuff on my CV...

Hey, Princeton!: I got an A in intro to psychology, I organize a weekly game of trivial pursuit, my high school sociology teacher thought I was really smart, AND I have a really good ear for harmony!

Just now, jacbarcan said:

I'm so confused.....Yale.....Princeton.....what do I do? To post or not to post.... I think I need Nat.....

We should probably wait till next week....see what's happening then. 

I'm still super confused that no one has claimed anything on the forums. 

I mean yale seems like it has fraud written all over it. 

Just now, jacbarcan said:

I'm so confused.....Yale.....Princeton.....what do I do? To post or not to post.... I think I need Nat.....

We should probably wait till next week....see what's happening then. 

I'm still super confused that no one has claimed anything on the forums. 

Jac pls. Save us. pls halp.