2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 minute ago, brekekexkoax said:

Wait did the new school send out results??

Oh no, no, they won't send anything out til mid-March. But they're pretty upfront on their website about the lack of funding options.

3 hours ago, iamtheother said:

I think DePaul interviews all of their top candidates. Well done.

Thanks! Do you happen to know how many people they tend to weed out during these interviews? I'm wondering how hard I'm gonna be grilled or if it's just to make sure I didn't totally lie and don't give off bad vibes. 

Just now, MVSCZAR said:

Thanks! Do you happen to know how many people they tend to weed out during these interviews? I'm wondering how hard I'm gonna be grilled or if it's just to make sure I didn't totally lie and don't give off bad vibes. 

My impression from what I've been told is that they send out around 20-25 interviews.
I base this on what I've been told by my supervisors whose past students got into DePaul.

On a side note, is it possible they would only have sent out a handful of interview offers today, and will send more over the weekend?

1 minute ago, majorshake said:

My impression from what I've been told is that they send out around 20-25 interviews.
I base this on what I've been told by my supervisors whose past students got into DePaul.

On a side note, is it possible they would only have sent out a handful of interview offers today, and will send more over the weekend?

I haven't seen anyone else post about getting an interview offer, but they're gonna be on Wed and Thurs and they're going to chose on Friday. Fellowships will be decided the following Monday and we'll all know then. And fellowship recipients will be flown out March 4 or something. So, basically, I think there's a chance they haven't notified everyone. 

2 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

I haven't seen anyone else post about getting an interview offer, but they're gonna be on Wed and Thurs and they're going to chose on Friday. Fellowships will be decided the following Monday and we'll all know then. And fellowship recipients will be flown out March 4 or something. So, basically, I think there's a chance they haven't notified everyone. 

So there's still hope!

45 minutes ago, violaina said:

I got into Pittsburgh... Just get the phone call

So much for a dull weekend. Congratulations! A professor that I am very close with in my department completed his Ph.D. at Pitt in the early '90s. And his one of the most brilliant people I've had the pleasure to work with. Here's a dancing psychopath to celebrate your success...

tumblr_nzvzw72bH81v1g6r4o1_500.gif

48 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Just got into Pitt via phone!!! Official letter coming next week!!

Congrats to both you and @violaina!!

Does anyone know how long going through the call list usually takes? Should I have expected to hear from Pitt already if I was accepted?
Note: My surname is at the end of the alphabet.   

Edited by philosopher_queen

4 minutes ago, philosopher_queen said:

Congrats!! 

Does anyone know how long calling usually takes? Should I have expected to hear from Pitt already if I was accepted?
Note: My surname is at the endow the alphabet.   

I suspect it is a pretty long process. Both calls I got lasted 10 or 15 minutes. They gave me the rundown of the offer package, details about campus visit, and allowed me to ask any questions I had. The day is young. Keep your phone close by. 

8 minutes ago, sneakysombrero said:

What are the odds that we're accepted/waitlisted at USC if we haven't received a rejection e-mail from them? Do you all think they've sent out all their rejection letters? Seem to be a fair number of posts listed on GradCafe

Precisely what I was going to ask. I'm really not sure what the upshot is. Though I was looking through past results and it seems the total number of rejections reported for each year is close to the handful of rejections reported today. So maybe there's hope for those who haven't heard anything.

2 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

Precisely what I was going to ask. I'm really not sure what the upshot is. Though I was looking through past results and it seems the total number of rejections reported for each year is close to the handful of rejections reported today. So maybe there's hope for those who haven't heard anything.

I'm in the same boat: let's stay positive! 

I also just got into Pitt!!! :):) And I was a bumbling mess on the phone...

12 minutes ago, philosopher_queen said:

Does anyone know how long going through the call list usually takes? Should I have expected to hear from Pitt already if I was accepted?
Note: My surname is at the end of the alphabet.   

I wouldn't worry yet. I had a missed phone call at 11:20 or so, and just saw it and called back :) (But note that they didn't try again in those 2 hours, so it wasn't done in one quick sweep.) 

I haven't been submitting my acceptances or rejections to the results page. Is that information compiled and used in the future? Would I be helping TGC out if I went back and reported all of my results? If not, I won't bother.