UCSB (UC Santa Barbara) Geography

June_cosmo

Hi everyone! Just want to start a post on UCSB geography program. Let's share our experience, anxiety, frustration..... and everything about applying to UCSB geography! Have you heard back from them yet? Have you been interviewed? 

Well, I can't say I've applied for Geography, but I did apply for UCSB's Masters of Environmental Science and Management program and the wait is KILLING me. Especially with the recent stretch of arctic weather we had in the Midwest, UCSB is emerging as one of my top choices. 

Good luck with the Geography program! Let us know how it goes and hopefully someone else on here is able to talk more about the Geography application process!

On January 24, 2016 at 8:21 PM, June_cosmo said:

Hi everyone! Just want to start a post on UCSB geography program. Let's share our experience, anxiety, frustration..... and everything about applying to UCSB geography! Have you heard back from them yet? Have you been interviewed? 

Hello June_cosmo, I am also applying for phd in Geography at UCSB. I have interviewed with one of the professors doing GIS works last weekend. It was a short one, and I did that pretty bad. Have you been interviewed, and any updates?

5 hours ago, c040120 said:

Hello June_cosmo, I am also applying for phd in Geography at UCSB. I have interviewed with one of the professors doing GIS works last weekend. It was a short one, and I did that pretty bad. Have you been interviewed, and any updates?

Not yet. But I've been in contact with a professor also doing GIS. Which professor interviewed you? Maybe he thought it was good. Keep positive : )

45 minutes ago, June_cosmo said:

Not yet. But I've been in contact with a professor also doing GIS. Which professor interviewed you? Maybe he thought it was good. Keep positive : )

I think it would be better not to reveal the name. But the prof interviewed me is not the prof that I mentioned in my statement, which is really bad, cuz I do want to be part of his group. 

BTW, are you at UMich, I have a lot of friends there but in EE/ME program.

Just now, c040120 said:

I think it would be better not to reveal the name. But the prof interviewed me is not the prof that I mentioned in my statement, which is really bad, cuz I do want to be part of his group. 

BTW, are you at UMich, I have a lot of friends there but in EE/ME program.

Sure I totally understand that. I just thought it's possible that we interacted with the same professor. Yes I'm at Umich

I also applied to UCSB geography. The professor I applied to work with said that the first acceptances will be sent out in late Jauary or early February. They have an invite-only recruitment weekend at the end of February.

On 2016/1/28 at 5:00 PM, c040120 said:

On 2016/2/1 at 10:57 AM, CY said:

Hey! I also applied for UCSB geography but haven't heard back from them yet.  

Looks like they're already interviews going on and prob admission being sent out. So nervousT_T

11 hours ago, June_cosmo said:

Looks like they're already interviews going on and prob admission being sent out. So nervousT_T

OMG. I thought there was no interview... What specialization did you apply for? (me, transportation) 

2 hours ago, CY said:

This whole waiting thing is killing me. I check the application status almost four times a day!

They will send you email every time they make a change to your application : )

1 hour ago, June_cosmo said:

They will send you email every time they make a change to your application : )

Have you received any changes? My application status just remains "submitted"...

18 hours ago, June_cosmo said:

How do you know this?

7 hours ago, CY said:

OMG. I thought there was no interview... What specialization did you apply for? (me, transportation) 

I don't think they necessarily interview everyone they admit. I sense that it's more informal than that, perhaps on a case-by-case basis.

8 hours ago, CY said:

This whole waiting thing is killing me. I check the application status almost four times a day!

No, haven't heard anything either and status remained submitted. Stressful........... 

55 minutes ago, DA1797 said:

How do you know this?

I don't think they necessarily interview everyone they admit. I sense that it's more informal than that, perhaps on a case-by-case basis.

From other people that replied my post.

I hope so, maybe it depends on individual professor. But if I were a professor, I suppose I'd want to see my student before admit him/her

1 hour ago, DA1797 said:

How do you know this?

Good to know that! Thanks!