Should I call and ask about my application status?

wvu_mountaineer

Question

I applied to 8 programs and have only heard back from 3. Interviews are in February for all of the programs, and since there's only about a week left until February I'm starting to get anxious. I know it's frustrating for admissions offices to get calls about application statuses, so I have refrained from doing so. However, seeing on here that people have heard from 2 of those schools about their decision weeks ago, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to call and ask if they were still making a decision about interviews, or if I should just continue to wait it out. Any advice?

2 answers to this question

I would not call. Admissions offices have a whole lot going on during this season, and unless you have a problem with your application or need assistance with something pressing, I would not pester them. At this point, you are best off assuming that you did not receive an interview at the places that have contacted people and assuming that you are still in the running for the others.

Definitely don't lose hope for the schools that haven't contacted people, though, because there's definitely times where schools contact fairly late! Also, check the results survey (thegradcafe.com/survey) to see when people are hearing from programs. It may be that some of your programs historically don't notify until February or something like that.