My GRE scores are atrocious

90sNickelodeon

I studied for 5 months and took practice tests and still can't crack a 600 in either section.

What is the deal? I'm an intelligent person, but the GRE keeps kicking my ass each time!

Here are my scores:

First attempt:

530 Verbal

310 Math

4.5 Writing

Second attempt:

570 Verbal

250 Math

? Writing (I don't have my score yet)

UGH it's so frustrating! I'm not taking it again, because even in my practice exams I score in the same range. I'm just not cut out for standardized tests obviously.

I studied for 5 months and took practice tests and still can't crack a 600 in either section.

What is the deal? I'm an intelligent person, but the GRE keeps kicking my ass each time!

Here are my scores:

First attempt:

530 Verbal

310 Math

4.5 Writing

Second attempt:

570 Verbal

250 Math

? Writing (I don't have my score yet)

UGH it's so frustrating! I'm not taking it again, because even in my practice exams I score in the same range. I'm just not cut out for standardized tests obviously.

Do you know the average GRE score for people entering into the programs to which you're applying? Have you spoken with the DGS in any of them to see if you meet any kind of cut-offs? I got a 1090 and I'm retaking it in a couple of weeks because I'm pretty sure I'm below some cut-offs.

yea the gre really does that! have you tried a math tutor/ gre prep class?

i could never crack 500 but you do know the scores start off with 200........thats so weird

like........iduno =/

sorry i meant 600 if its for an MA as opposed to a phd program it may not be that big of a deal

like if you still wanted to apply for this year

just beef up the rest of your applicaiton thats what im doing. SOPs will beyour best friend.

You will need to make sure that the rest of your application is strong. If you plan on reapplying next year, you might want to find someone to help you with the math portion. Maybe there's something about the math portion you just don't understand. You can take all the practice tests you want, but if you're still scoring in the same range for math then your way of studying is obviously not working out for you.

Do you know the average GRE score for people entering into the programs to which you're applying? Have you spoken with the DGS in any of them to see if you meet any kind of cut-offs? I got a 1090 and I'm retaking it in a couple of weeks because I'm pretty sure I'm below some cut-offs.

My programs don't really list the GRE scores except for Harvard (590 verbal, 649 math). Some of my schools don't even require a GRE.

sorry i meant 600 if its for an MA as opposed to a phd program it may not be that big of a deal

like if you still wanted to apply for this year

just beef up the rest of your applicaiton thats what im doing. SOPs will beyour best friend.

Yeah the rest of my application is excellent. Hopefully the GRE will look like a glitch.

You will need to make sure that the rest of your application is strong. If you plan on reapplying next year, you might want to find someone to help you with the math portion. Maybe there's something about the math portion you just don't understand. You can take all the practice tests you want, but if you're still scoring in the same range for math then your way of studying is obviously not working out for you.

This is all true. I'm not taking it again, however. Let the cards fall where they may.

How important is math in your subject?

Not at all, actually. :)

It's easy to say your math scores won't matter, but they may just. A score of 250 is two standard deviations below the mean quant score for 2008-2009, which is a statistically significant deficiency. If nothing else, it is going to make it look as if you are too lazy to study (a bad thing) or otherwise uneducable (an even worse thing), even if they have no use for people strong in math.

Your verbal score is marginally above average, but not by much. It's not the greatest for someone applying to Harvard. A combined score in the low 800s is not a good indicator for you.

Although I've always said you should never freak out too much about deficiencies in just one area of your application, especially if it's an otherwise strong application, these scores still amount to a pretty glaring hole. I strongly recommend you retake the GREs and do whatever you have to in order to bring your scores up.

And, of course, don't send the score reports anywhere you don't have to!

When I read this topic description I laughed because its totally the same situation as me. I too scored HORRIFIC on the GRE, and by horrific I don't mean upper 400's or whatever. Im pretty sure it was a big part of not getting into any graduate schools last year. I decided to study all summer for it and retake it and I scored basically the same thing. I almost cried. I spent a lot of time writing a brief but important paragraph in my SOP, stressing that I would like to be evaluated more in terms of my real life experiences (which directly relate to my program.) Also, to be realistic, I only applied to schools who didn't have a strict "cut off" score. One school I called even said "I know its odd, but we DO NOT have a minimum GRE score." Anyways, to think that my future and passion to work with children could be boiled down to a GRE score really scares me.

It's easy to say your math scores won't matter, but they may just. A score of 250 is two standard deviations below the mean quant score for 2008-2009, which is a statistically significant deficiency. If nothing else, it is going to make it look as if you are too lazy to study (a bad thing) or otherwise uneducable (an even worse thing), even if they have no use for people strong in math.

Your verbal score is marginally above average, but not by much. It's not the greatest for someone applying to Harvard. A combined score in the low 800s is not a good indicator for you.

Although I've always said you should never freak out too much about deficiencies in just one area of your application, especially if it's an otherwise strong application, these scores still amount to a pretty glaring hole. I strongly recommend you retake the GREs and do whatever you have to in order to bring your scores up.

Thanks for the honest advice. I'm going to take a prep class and retake.

this.