Fall 2016 Genetic Counseling Applicants

gc09621

Schools have been saying its "slow"

Making me think there is a lock due to multiple acceptances / people being waitlisted at 1st choice schools and wanting to wait it out

not sure that this match process is the most efficient. 

Edited by SuitCase

Just now, SuitCase said:

Schools have been saying its "slow"

making me me think there is a lock due to multiple acceptances / people being waitlisted at 1st choice schools and wanting to wait it out

not sure that this match process is the most efficient. 

During one of my interviews a director told me that they were about to switch to the match system like they do for residencies but two GC programs were against it so they couldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it moved that way in the future though.

1 minute ago, gc09621 said:

During one of my interviews a director told me that they were about to switch to the match system like they do for residencies but two GC programs were against it so they couldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it moved that way in the future though.

I actually was just reading a paper on that. It's old. 

http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/6987/1/newtonsa_etd.pdf

I definitely don't blame people for waiting out for their first choice schools but there should be more transparency in the process. Like knowing your exact position and the likelihood of getting in. 

10 minutes ago, SuitCase said:

I actually was just reading a paper on that. It's old. 

http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/6987/1/newtonsa_etd.pdf

It sounds like the decision frame used to be 5 days, I'm glad it's down to 3, hopefully it pushes people to make decisions faster. I can see pros and cons to both systems, especially right now when things seem to be pretty locked up

To the person who posted the "All applicants should read this" thing on the results thread... Thank you for saying what everyone is thinking, it made me laugh!

1 hour ago, gc09621 said:

I really wonder which two programs are against it... it seems like it would make the process easier for everybody involved, rather than the one-at-a-time system where some people don't get calls until really late in the day.

Edit: Actually, after reading some of the paper, some concerns that program directors have about an automated system make sense. I'm thinking some sort of hybrid system? Where schools still create their accept/waitlist/reject lists, but then an outside organization, like ACGC or something actually does the call outs, or manages the system? That way people still can't "game" the system or anything, but we could also try to limit the amount of cases where Applicant A is waitlisted at top choice School 1, but got in to School 2, while Applicant B is waitlisted at top choice School 2, but got in to School 1, or something similar. 

Edited by weilongli1

3 minutes ago, Imores said:

Finally got into SLC off the waitlist *phew*!!!

I'm going to wait until Michigan closes then accept!

Congrats! And I'm very jealous, haha.

@weilongli1 It's a tricky system either way! I was definitely favoring the idea of a match but then seeing that paper @SuitCase shared made me rethink it as I read the directors' comments. I wonder how the system will change in the future, because it definitely creates very stressful situations for all involved, although some stress would be expected. Maybe some of it could be alleviated as more programs open up and existing programs are able to accept more students?