Fall 2016 Genetic Counseling Applicants

gc09621

Hi luckyduck! Sorry about Emory, and I definitely relate to the checking every 5 minutes thing. Your experiences do look really great and I hope you get an interview soon so that you can worry less.  It'll be ok!

Best of luck to everyone waiting as well, hearing back is painful but hopefully we all get to practice our interview skills next month and can relax a bit more :)

@weilongli haha its nice to see another male applicant too! I see we're applying to a few overlapping schools, here's to us getting interviews at those schools! 

@luckyduck78 I'm somewhat similar to your situation in that my marks aren't stellar, but lets hope our experiences outside of academics lands us some interviews! I can tell you I got waitlisted for an interview at Utah last year (I wouldve landed one, but i winged my GRE and failed the math section way worse than you), so hopefully you'll hear from them soon! You have advocacy experience too so Im sure you'll land some interviews :)

Hello all!

I am bummed to see on here that Minnesota has already sent out their interviews, I was really hoping to get one there!

This is my first year applying I did applied to:

Minnesota

Cincinnati

Ohio State,

Wisconsin

Maryland

I am hoping to hear back from programs soon! Good luck everyone!

I still haven't gotten any interview offers. :(

For those of you who have gotten interviews, do you get notified by phone or email, and generally at what time of day (morning, afternoon)?

Edited by luckyduck78

1 hour ago, luckyduck78 said:

For those of you who have gotten interviews, do you get notified by phone or email, and generally at what time of day (morning, afternoon)?

I got notified by Michigan by phone in the morning (10:40am or so) and got an email from Cincinnati after work hours by a bit (5:40pm or so).  So they could be at quite a lot of different times. There's still lots of schools that haven't sent out anything yet, it's ok! :)

Cincinnati wanted me to accept/decline the interview offer and list my preferences by Feb 8th, and then they will send me my interview date on Feb 12th.  It's possible they're doing rolling interviews and will send another wave on the 8th/12th.

Edited by lmorse
Cincinnati info for luckyduck

4 hours ago, luckyduck78 said:

6 of my schools haven't responded yet. Mid-Late February is when I expect them to start rolling in. Not to fret!

For your second question, Pitt emailed me, around mid-day.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the thread too.... So far I've heard back from Minnesota and Michigan (interviewing at both).

Hoping to hear back from WI today!!

Anyone else interviewing at Minnesota on Wed. Feb. 10?  Or Michigan on March 13-14?

@luckyduck78 I've only heard back from Michigan so far, but they called me around 2pm my time (3pm for them), last year both of my interview offers were made by email, one early in the morning and one in the afternoon, so it really seems to vary. I hope you hear some good news soon!

@b5b7 I applied to both MN and MI, no interview at MN but I'll be in MI the week after you! I also applied to WI, news would be very welcome today! Where else did you apply?

A little off topic, but I just wanted to say that having so many GC applicants on this board is so awesome. I was looking through all the forums and it seems we are very few and far between, so it's nice to have a place to commiserate on our application processes. Stay awesome, everybody.

Does anyone know what the interview process at MN looks like?  Group interviews, individual ones, etc? I have a schedule for the day but it's not terribly descriptive. I don't think I'll ever feel fully prepared!

@gc09621 I've also applied to a couple other places in the midwest.  I'm really just happy to even get any interviews!

@b5b7 I interviewed there last year, it's a series of individual interviews, but the people you interview with may be different than who others interview with depending on the flow of your schedule, although everyone interviews with the program director. If I'm remembering correctly, the day starts with a general overview of the program with the program director.  It's set up in a block format so everyone's schedules differ a bit, but we all had lunch together with some of the current students, and during my 'break' block the program assistant took me out for some coffee. Everyone there is incredibly friendly and the current students are a great resource for questions!