How many writing samples to send to grad schools?

JE160615

Hello! I am applying to history/public history programs for fall 2016. The grad schools I'm looking into say to send writing samples, but do not specify how many to send. So, how many essays should I send?

Programs that want multiple writing samples, usually of different types (like a research paper and a book review) will very specifically and clearly say that's what they want. Some programs will also specifically and clearly say that more than one sample, usually adding up to a certain number of pages, is okay.

If none of your programs have specifically and clearly asked for multiple writing samples, always follow TMP's advice. One and done.

Thanks @ashiepoo72 and @TMA! The schools have given no directions about what kind of essay to submit or anything, but do say writing samples. Do you guys think this is something I should ask the history departments about for clarification? Otherwise I will take your advice and just submit one. Thanks! 

Definitely ask the departments about this.  One school I applied to wanted a copy of a course essay of x amount of pages with the prof's marks/comments on it.  The only thing I had was x+5 which is quite a lot.  Turns out they were okay with it, but others certainly wouldn't be. 

Have you actually created the applications yet? I found that a lot of my department websites tended to say things like "Writing sample required." How long? What topic? Didn't say. But within the application itself, it would tell me how many pages it had to be and if there were any other requirements. Otherwise, email the departments! The department administrator is probably the first person you should ask.

I was never asked for more than one. I would honestly be surprised if anyone wanted more than one, since that's just creating that much more work for admissions committees which already have a lot of material to get through in a limited amount of time.