Interview questions?

amccjl

I have a campus visit coming up. It's an all day affair, with interviews with the director of admissions, head of department and various faculty. It's "semi-formal," and I know I'm a strong candidate but I also know they are inviting more people than they will admit, so it's really important that I do well in the interview. But, I'm not really sure what they will be asking or what they want to know. Any ideas? Any technical questions I should expect? I'm sure they want to gauge fit and propensity to succeed, but I'm not sure what questions would help them do that. If it helps, it's a political science program. 

I remember how stressful those types of interviews were, particularly when they invite more people than they plan to admit. From my experience, I would advise to be familiar with the existing literature in your field that is related to the kind of research you want to pursue. Not that they will likely ask you directly what XXX said in his article XXX, but rather what you perceive to be the general trends in the literature and then how your proposed direction of research fits in relation to those trends. Not that you should have a super specific dissertation idea already in place, but rather that you have an idea of how the direction of your research can make an intervention, however small, into your field. I think they want to see that you have a generally solid understanding of what's going on in your field at large and that you realize the importance of (eventually) making an original contribution. 

At the beginning of an interview, one of the interviewers sat down and said, "Now this isn't an interview, it's just a conversation." I wanted to say, "um yeah that's a great line, except for the fact that you're judging whether I'm admitted or not based (partly) on this "conversation" we're about to have so um yeah....this is an interview." Ha. They can be nerve-wracking but it's important to be confident yet relaxed. Best of luck! 

Thanks, that's helpful! I've had plenty of regular job interviews, and they usually just grill you on your resume and throw scenarios at you and ask "how would you solve this problem." I wasn't sure if it would be similar for an academic interview. 

As you may have gathered from examining the other interview topics, it's very hard to know how an interview will go. I just got back from one, and from that experience I can tell you it was a mixed bag for sure. I had 4 short interviews with different people. First guy was my top choice POI. He got pretty technical on me (molecular bio stuff) and I kind of dropped the ball. There were two questions where I was just honest and told him I didn't know the answer. We talked science for first half and personal for the next half. I left with a not-so-great feeling. i didn't bomb it, but could've done much better. It made me nervous about the next 3. Luckily, these were all the complete opposite - they really were just conversations. With one prof we talked about hiking and mountain biking the whole time practically. With another we talked about his research (but he did all the talking) for a bit and then started talking about comedy and who are favorite comedians are. With my last guy I just asked a lot about the program itself, the inner workings of it, etc, but nothing about science.

The first guy really made it feel like an interview, and it was tough. But the other 3 really were just casual 'conversations' as many people have put it. I later learned that the guy who grilled me on technical stuff had a reputation for being intense and demanding as a PI.

Another great piece of info I got out of one of the current grads during the party that night was that they were sort of "taking note" (his words) of all our interactions - meaning with profs, grads, and each other - throughout the whole weekend. I know it's going to be hard, especially in you're an introverted or anxious person socially, to be heavily involved for the entire time. I know this because I am one. These trips are jam-packed with social events, so not only is it physically tiring, you're also probably going to be spending a lot more time surrounded be people than you ever would in your normal life. Just try to elevate yourself for the couple days you're there and make a good impression. Act enthusiastic. Ask questions and meet as many people (especially current grads) as you can. They invited probably 4x the amount of people that they can accept. So it's clear that there was a lot of evaluating going on. Count how many people are there in your group, and also take into account that many times there are 2 of these 'interview weekends' for a certain program. If there are way more people than open spots, you know you're gonna want to make yourself stand out. Programs usually take in around 12 new students each year.

8 hours ago, quanto said:

I know it's going to be hard, especially in you're an introverted or anxious person socially, to be heavily involved for the entire time. I know this because I am one. These trips are jam-packed with social events, so not only is it physically tiring, you're also probably going to be spending a lot more time surrounded be people than you ever would in your normal life. 

Yep!!

Questions I have received so far have all been in the general realm of:

"Tell me about your current research project"

"Why are you interested in pursuing this field of study?"

"How has your previous research experience prepared you to do work in this field?" (probably more specific to my situation though, because I am changing sub-fields)

"Why do you want to do a PhD instead of a Master's?"

"Would you be willing to start earlier than September?"

"Do you have any questions for me?" -- very important! Have questions about their research and about the program ready!

On February 9, 2016 at 2:42 PM, cavansite said:

Questions I have received so far have all been in the general realm of:

"Tell me about your current research project"

"Why are you interested in pursuing this field of study?"

"How has your previous research experience prepared you to do work in this field?" (probably more specific to my situation though, because I am changing sub-fields)

"Why do you want to do a PhD instead of a Master's?"

"Would you be willing to start earlier than September?"

"Do you have any questions for me?" -- very important! Have questions about their research and about the program ready!

Hi! It's interesting that you were asked to start prior to September. I have been considering asking my POIs this when I attend my interview day at the end of the month. After I graduate in May, I don't have very much lined up, and even volunteering in the lab would help me to acclimate. Now that I know this isn't unheard of, I may ask! Does anyone have any advice on the best way to bringing up this subject? I'm afraid to look desperate, but I want to get my point across! Thanks!

OP, great thread! I've been reading all of the old interview question threads.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2016 at 5:35 PM, Nolagirl said:

Hi! It's interesting that you were asked to start prior to September. I have been considering asking my POIs this when I attend my interview day at the end of the month. After I graduate in May, I don't have very much lined up, and even volunteering in the lab would help me to acclimate. Now that I know this isn't unheard of, I may ask! Does anyone have any advice on the best way to bringing up this subject? I'm afraid to look desperate, but I want to get my point across! Thanks!

OP, great thread! I've been reading all of the old interview question threads.

I've receive one offer thus far, and the stipend begins on August 1st, which I was surprised by, but classes do start at the end of August at this university so I suppose it makes sense. My PI has requested that I get there relatively early in the month of August to get acclimated and such. I suppose I would frame it as - what would the start time be for the position? Would there be any possibility to begin earlier to get acclimated to the lab?

I would start with looking at the academic calendars and see if that gives you any hints on when you might be starting. But I'll also say - take some time for yourself! You'll obviously be excited and eager to get started, but I always worry about people burning themselves out jumping right from a stressful last undergrad semester into graduate school without any relaxing in between. Just a thought! Good luck with everything!