Chances

Catwoman25

I'm about to apply for my Doctorate Education (Administration or Leadership)

Please help chance me at top programs

My profile...

i'm somewhat of a splitter 3.1gpa decent private school, 1380gre 3yrs work experience in education. first in family to graduate from high school/college

Black Female

Money is tight and I need to know if I have a reasonable chance at any of these programs

Teachers College

Harvard School of Edu

Penn GSE

UMich GSE

Would it be easier if I just apply to get my masters?

Should I retake GRE?

I'm about to apply for my Doctorate Education (Administration or Leadership)

Please help chance me at top programs

My profile...

i'm somewhat of a splitter 3.1gpa decent private school, 1380gre 3yrs work experience in education. first in family to graduate from high school/college

Black Female

Money is tight and I need to know if I have a reasonable chance at any of these programs

Teachers College

Harvard School of Edu

Penn GSE

UMich GSE

Would it be easier if I just apply to get my masters?

Should I retake GRE?

Have you checked the websites for these programs to see what the average GRE scores and GPA's are? You can probably get a good sense of the typical profiles of admitted students by checking out the websites. I know Columbia posts the bios of many of the PhD and EDd students. Also, I don't think Penn's dept of Education charges an application fee. So,definitely apply there. I know Columbia, and maybe Harvard, will let you check a box if you would like to be considered for the MA if you don't make it into the PhD.

Based on the info you mentioned, I would think you have a chance. Is there anything else that might add to your application? Volunteer work? Research work?

I don't have a lot of experience in the education field...

I worked for two years as teacher in urban charter school

I am currently a research fellow - helping to analyze the effectiveness of the use of the stimulus dollars in my state

These schools don't list the avg GPA but I am going to assume that my GPA is much lower than the mean.

Which is why I am panicking and wondering if I need to retake the GRE. What do you think???

I don't have a lot of experience in the education field...

I worked for two years as teacher in urban charter school

I am currently a research fellow - helping to analyze the effectiveness of the use of the stimulus dollars in my state

These schools don't list the avg GPA but I am going to assume that my GPA is much lower than the mean.

Which is why I am panicking and wondering if I need to retake the GRE. What do you think???

I can only speak for HGSE -

In general I'd recommend applying for the EdM program there first. It gives you a chance to gauge the environment and develop relationships with faculty who are doing research in your field. I wouldn't worry about retaking your GRE so much as developing a compelling Statement of Purpose that signals your passion and desire to contribute to knowledge in your field.

Doctoral programs, even in education, value experience as a researcher/analyst almost as much as classroom teaching experience...so I wouldn't worry about your lack of time in the classroom.

Thanks for your reply!

Money is of serious consideration for me.

There are very few masters programs that will give me significant financial aid. I am already $50,000 in debt from private undergrad and the education field doesn't exactly pay (particularly since I am interested in urban education). I worked for 2yrs teaching in an urban charter school and I barely made enough money to support myself. So pursing my doctorate is really attractive option to me bc it would be paid w/stipend.

Sidebar question... How many classmates of yours in the doctoral program at HGSE are African American or Hispanic???

Catwoman -

Have you looked into UC Berkeley? I know they have a strong emphasis on Urban Education. Just an idea. I agree with Tut too...focus on preparing a really strong statement of purpose and also make sure you have excellent letters of reference.

When I was going through the application process -- I contacted profs at programs with similar interests. A few suggested I come in for an interview. This was before I submitted my applications. I would recommend doing this if possible..it gave me a good idea of which programs might accept me. I didn't interview at all the schools though..but Columbia states on their website that they recommend this. You could probably arrange a phone interview if you don't have the resources to fly out to various schools.

Another note about Columbia -- I went to the admitted students day and they made a big point about TC not giving full rides to grad students. There are ways to piece together funding..but they don't have the comprehensive packages offered by HGSE or Stanford...

Thanks for your reply!

Money is of serious consideration for me.

There are very few masters programs that will give me significant financial aid. I am already $50,000 in debt from private undergrad and the education field doesn't exactly pay (particularly since I am interested in urban education). I worked for 2yrs teaching in an urban charter school and I barely made enough money to support myself. So pursing my doctorate is really attractive option to me bc it would be paid w/stipend.

Sidebar question... How many classmates of yours in the doctoral program at HGSE are African American or Hispanic???

The admissions office has the full numbers, but my specific cohort is about 17-20% African American and Hispanic, though there are other ethnic groups (various Asian, Native American, Indian, etc.) that also contribute to the cohort's diversity. It's probably fair to say that our group is representative of the Doctoral population. I'm not sure about the EdM diversity numbers.

Are you public school certified? Stafford and Perkins loans have deferment and abatement options for urban certified teachers in certain fields. (You likely already knew that.)

p.s. If you are committed to urban education and would like to earn your masters AND teach for a couple more years prior to starting your doctoral studies, Yale has a fully funded program:

http://www.yale.edu/...an/program.html

Good luck!

Thanks, I actually looked at that program but decided that I want to stick with leadership/administration instead of concentrating so heavily in urban education.

Do I stand a decent shot at getting into any of these schools? What schools could I add to the list as backups (Education Leadership/Administration)???

Again, thank you so much for all of your help :D

Thanks, I actually looked at that program but decided that I want to stick with leadership/administration instead of concentrating so heavily in urban education.

Do I stand a decent shot at getting into any of these schools? What schools could I add to the list as backups (Education Leadership/Administration)???

Again, thank you so much for all of your help :D

Catwoman -- As backup, I would suggest GWU, they have a good Ed Leadership department and excellent faculty. Also, the University of Maryland has a good ed leadership/policy program. I love the DC area, so I'm a little biased. I've heard Michigan and UCLA both have good programs.

• 2 weeks later...

You didn't say if you had done this, but I think an important part of applying for a PhD program is to match research interests with one or more professors at the program and possibly even to contact them once you have found a good match. Your GRE is strong, and your GPA isn't horrible, a lot is going to come down to your SOP, LORs and especially to research match, which you will want to highlight in your SOP.

I don't believe Columbia gives much funding, do they? Another thing you might want to consider...

You didn't say if you had done this, but I think an important part of applying for a PhD program is to match research interests with one or more professors at the program and possibly even to contact them once you have found a good match. Your GRE is strong, and your GPA isn't horrible, a lot is going to come down to your SOP, LORs and especially to research match, which you will want to highlight in your SOP.

I don't believe Columbia gives much funding, do they? Another thing you might want to consider...

I am interested in education leadership for foster care children or in urban schools.

None of the schools that I am applying to have a faculty member with interest of foster care.

Is there a website that lists gpa/gre statistics and acceptance rate???

I know that they have one for law school and I have been trying to see if they have it for education schools

Is there a website that lists gpa/gre statistics and acceptance rate???

I know that they have one for law school and I have been trying to see if they have it for education schools

In the US News and World Report Grad School Issue, they have some of the acceptance ratings and GRE statistics. Not all inclusive but that is the best I have found so far. I just hope they are semi-close to the real information!

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in education leadership for foster care children or in urban schools.

None of the schools that I am applying to have a faculty member with interest of foster care.

That's very specific. Is there anything broader you are interested in? Can you relate your interests to specific faculty at schools? I can't stress enough how important I've heard this is - not only for your chances of getting in, but for your happiness with the program you ultimately choose (I'm seeing the latter play out now among my cohort).

• 2 months later...

"i'm somewhat of a splitter 3.1gpa decent private school, 1380gre 3yrs work experience in education. first in family to graduate from high school/college

Black Female"

You have a good GRE score.I actually envy you cos my GRE sucks!Your GPA is okie-dokie but nothing to hurt your chances.I think you will have a good chance.

Good luck!

Edited by aditi123