U Washington Evans School Acceptances

goforthegold

Anyone heard back from U Washington Evans School?

I applied for the MPA and just found out I was accepted! Though I've yet to hear anything about fellowships or scholarships. Fingers crossed.

I'd love to hear about who my future classmates are, what they did in the past and hope to do in the future, and your thoughts on U Washington and Seattle. Post away!

Edited by goforthegold

I applied and am still waiting to hear back. I saw that two acceptances with funding were logged into the Results Search in the last few days, so I've been refreshing my email like crazy ever since.

21 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I applied and am still waiting to hear back. I saw that two acceptances with funding were logged into the Results Search in the last few days, so I've been refreshing my email like crazy ever since.

Thanks for the heads up -- just checked out the page. 

To those who were accepted: Was there a fellowship offer included in your acceptance email? What were your stats and qualifications? 

Edited by goforthegold

I received an acceptance on Friday, February 5th with a Fellowship offer. The offer was a monthly stipend with subsidized tution (in-state versus out-of-state).

I'm still waiting to hear back from other places but Evans was one of my top choices so I'm excited! 

You guys know the benefit of applying to UW? I actually live in Seattle, hate the city. Also, I recognized they were mostly geared towards non-profits instead of private or government so I strayed away. What makes you guys very interested in attending the school? Maybe something I dont know. Just curious thanks! And congrats to you folks who got your acceptance.

3 minutes ago, dsr8080 said:

@RCtheSS when did you apply??? I applied in middle of DEC so now I am getting really nervous that I have already been looked at and passed on....

I applied January 4. I'm not sure how they're going through this review and notification process at this point. Trickling out admissions decisions like this makes me so anxious.

15 hours ago, LLCoolJ1585 said:

You guys know the benefit of applying to UW? I actually live in Seattle, hate the city. Also, I recognized they were mostly geared towards non-profits instead of private or government so I strayed away. What makes you guys very interested in attending the school? Maybe something I dont know. Just curious thanks! And congrats to you folks who got your acceptance.

I've never heard someone say they dislike Seattle! May I ask why?

Also, does anyone know if in-state tuition waivers are awarded separately? Or is it just the case that whatever the admission offer said is all they are offering -- which in my case would be nothing? Also about on-campus jobs and such: are they easy to come by? 

28 minutes ago, goforthegold said:

Also, does anyone know if in-state tuition waivers are awarded separately? Or is it just the case that whatever the admission offer said is all they are offering -- which in my case would be nothing? Also about on-campus jobs and such: are they easy to come by? 

I live near Seattle and I do not hate it all. It's gorgeous here. Yes, it rains and it is cloudy but summers are gorgeous and it's ALWAYS green here. Plus you will be surrounded by mountains and trees...oh and the Puget Sound!! Trust me, if you love nature....Seattle is the perfect blend of city and nature. And the campus is GORGEOUS! I went to the prospective student open house in November and the admissions director mentioned that the best place to find on campus jobs is through this website:  http://www.lib.washington.edu/commons/services/gfis .GFIS, it's basically a place for graduate students only at UW to search for jobs and funding. The admissions director said that TA spots within the program were pretty competitive but that GFIS opens up a lot of opportunities for you to work within your area of interest in other departments so I'm sure if you start looking and applying early you can find something. But within the Evans School, it's mainly kept for second year students and is highly coveted.  I took really meticulous notes at both the info session and prospective student open house I went to so if you have anymore questions feel free to ask :) 

On 2/10/2016 at 8:13 PM, goforthegold said:

I applied for the MPA and just found out I was accepted! Though I've yet to hear anything about fellowships or scholarships. Fingers crossed.

I'd love to hear about who my future classmates are, what they did in the past and hope to do in the future, and your thoughts on U Washington and Seattle. Post away!

From my past experience, Evans is one of the last programs to inform applicants. Take a breath and start the anxiety in mid March. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow

According to results search, University of Washington is trickling out a few decisions at a time this week. Perhaps more of us will get a notice back after the holiday weekend.

On February 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM, goforthegold said:

Well, I moved from Chicago, a very different city from Seattle which I loved. And I know this may puzzle some, but I'm black, and Seattle probably isn't the best place for black men, you have to deal with a lot of non-sense. But anyways, I decided not to apply mostly because I dont want to be hear another year and also because the school doesn't have the post-grad connections I'm looking for. 

On February 10, 2016 at 8:24 PM, RCtheSS said:

Sorry to ask a silly question, but what is the results search? Thanks! 

This website has a Results Search page where applicants can post their admissions decisions.  You can find it here: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/

So definitely add your acceptance onto the database! Congratulations!

Edited by RCtheSS

On 2/10/2016 at 8:41 PM, dsr8080 said:

congrats to those who were accepted!! i applied but still have not heard anything back yet....starting to freak out because I notice more and more acceptances on the results page :/ ughhh.

I'm in the same boat! I think there are about 5 accepted on the results page now, each one that is added pushes my anxiety to new levels. I hold my breath every time I get an email. 

To their credit, the admissions office at Evans stated in emails that they'll be announcing news "between early February and mid March". So there's still plenty of time for those of us who haven't heard back yet! Sending positive e-vibes to us all. 

I applied Jan. 9, got an email back on Feb. 6 saying I got in! I got the same financial offer as one of the posters above: subsidized in-state tuition (instead of out of state) plus a monthly stipend. Good luck to the rest of you!

6 hours ago, awayfromhere said:

I'm in the same boat! I think there are about 5 accepted on the results page now, each one that is added pushes my anxiety to new levels. I hold my breath every time I get an email. 

Same! haha. every time i open my email it is emotional roulette! At least we are all in panic mode together. It is nice to know I am not alone. Congrats to all the newly accepted! And for those still waiting to find out....a current student I know from the Evans School who I met up with a few times and who has been sort of a mentor through the application process emailed me the other day to check in and said "there are tons of people they have left to contact, so don't take it any which way if you haven't heard anything". So...for those as anxious and scared as me...an inside source has confirmed they have many more to contact so ...a smidge of hope??? I still feel stressed about it haha but what will be will be! Good luck to everyone! Hopefully they send out some more this week ! :)

2 hours ago, dsr8080 said:

Same! haha. every time i open my email it is emotional roulette! At least we are all in panic mode together. It is nice to know I am not alone. Congrats to all the newly accepted! And for those still waiting to find out....a current student I know from the Evans School who I met up with a few times and who has been sort of a mentor through the application process emailed me the other day to check in and said "there are tons of people they have left to contact, so don't take it any which way if you haven't heard anything". So...for those as anxious and scared as me...an inside source has confirmed they have many more to contact so ...a smidge of hope??? I still feel stressed about it haha but what will be will be! Good luck to everyone! Hopefully they send out some more this week ! :)

That is such a relief! I mean, I think a knew in the back of my mind that they still had lots of people to send acceptances out to but it's SUCH a relief to hear from an insider. Good luck to you as well, hope we both get good news :) 

On 2/10/2016 at 6:13 PM, goforthegold said:

I wanted to mention that I'm a current undergrad at UW so if you have any questions about the livability of Seattle, or what I think of UW as an institution (though I'd of course be speaking to undergrad programs), ask away!