withdrawing apps

AgentScully

Hi, so based on my acceptances so far I can reasonably say that there are two places where I applied that I would not accept admission to, were they to make an offer. What is the protocol around withdrawing an application? Should I do it asap, or wait to hear from the program? Should I send an e-mail or just do it from the application system site? Thoughts?

Just now, AgentScully said:

Hi, so based on my acceptances so far I can reasonably say that there are two places where I applied that I would not accept admission to, were they to make an offer. What is the protocol around withdrawing an application? Should I do it asap, or wait to hear from the program? Should I send an e-mail or just do it from the application system site? Thoughts?

Interesting. I am in the same position--there are a couple of schools that haven't made final decisions yet but that are not contenders for the programs to which I've already been accepted. I hadn't even considered withdrawing my application at this point. I was just going to wait until decisions were made and decline any acceptances right away so they could move down the waitlist. Withdrawing it might be more considerate--then some lucky soul doesn't have to get waitlisted before s/he is accepted. On the other hand, it's nice to be invited to the party, even if you don't want to go. Waiting for decisions will satisfy your curiosity about where you may or may not have been accepted to. 

2 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Interesting. I am in the same position--there are a couple of schools that haven't made final decisions yet but that are not contenders for the programs to which I've already been accepted. I hadn't even considered withdrawing my application at this point. I was just going to wait until decisions were made and decline any acceptances right away so they could move down the waitlist. Withdrawing it might be more considerate--then some lucky soul doesn't have to get waitlisted before s/he is accepted. On the other hand, it's nice to be invited to the party, even if you don't want to go. Waiting for decisions will satisfy your curiosity about where you may or may not have been accepted to. 

I think programs appreciate it if you let them know early, not to mention the other applicants. I think also it will give them a good impression of you, should you hope to collaborate with them in the future, whether by attending conferences, interacting about philosophy, etc. With these programs, it isn't so much an itch I want to scratch - I have good reasons (behind the scenes intelligence) to believe I would be admitted to both. I know I probably wouldn't even visit if I were admitted. I guess these are probably good questions to direct to my faculty advisers, but maybe people on this have some ideas

1 minute ago, AgentScully said:

I think programs appreciate it if you let them know early, not to mention the other applicants. I think also it will give them a good impression of you, should you hope to collaborate with them in the future, whether by attending conferences, interacting about philosophy, etc. With these programs, it isn't so much an itch I want to scratch - I have good reasons (behind the scenes intelligence) to believe I would be admitted to both. I know I probably wouldn't even visit if I were admitted. I guess these are probably good questions to direct to my faculty advisers, but maybe people on this have some ideas

I like where your head's at. Consult your faculty advisors--I'll do some reconnaissance work as well. We'll meet back here and share information. 

I faced this conundrum the last time I applied. First, think long and hard about whether you would really NEVER accept under ANY circumstances. If you wouldn't, then it's best to email the department explaining that you would like to have your application withdrawn (say as much or as little as you want in regards to reasons). For good measure you could also withdraw your application through the application portal, but I didn't bother to do that when I applied. 

My reason for doing things this way is that it just seemed like the polite thing to do. Adcomms spend a lot of time on reviewing applications. You're wasting their time if you have no intention of attending. However, this is your decision and do what you think is best.

If you are 100% sure that you are no longer interested in a school, then withdraw your application as soon as possible. Sure, it's nice to know that you would have been accepted etc. but you should realise the cost to other people just to satisfy your curiosity / make yourself feel better. It is a lot more professional and responsible to withdraw yourself when you are no longer interested in the offer. But I agree that if you still might be interested, then wait and see. 

25 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

So the advice I got was just to make sure I have funding package offers in writing before withdrawing any apps.

100% agreed with this advice. Nothing is set in stone until you have an offer letter with funding in writing. Without that, you could end up with nothing if you've withdrawn all of your other applications and your intended program doesn't come through with funding.

I agree with everything written here -- I withdrew an app last time around when I was applying to MA programs. Just send them an email. Not only will they appreciate you not wasting their time, you'll have the happiness of knowing that someone else got your spot.