A-Conferencing We Go!

Can we talk about going to conferences? Because I love talking about them almost as I love going (aside from the expensive hotels, registration fees, etc.). Anyone presenting anywhere soon? Personally, I'll be giving papers at the International Congress for Medieval Studies at Kalamazoo this May and the International Medieval Congress at Leeds in July; beyond that, I'm still waiting on hearing back from MLA, RMMRA, and considering putting in a proposal for Medieval Academy of America but let's be real, the odds of getting into that are slim.

I just finished helping to organize the Crip Futurities conference at UM, which occurred the last two days and was a truly wonderful experience. We didn't allow organizers to submit papers, So I got to just listen for two days! Such thoughtful, productive discussion that really has me feeling energized about my field. 

In June, I'll be presenting at the Children's Lit Association conference, and I'm pumped! 

After last year, in which I only attended one conference (and presented at two others via Skype) due to le bebe, I overcorrected! I'm going to FOUR conferences: presenting at CCCC, Rhetoric Society of America, and Computers and Writing, and going to CWPA for service stuff. I'm trying to gather more funding, as I'm stretching the $800/year travel support my department offers. How are you all funding your travel? 

11 hours ago, thepriorwalter said:

I just finished helping to organize the Crip Futurities conference at UM, which occurred the last two days and was a truly wonderful experience. We didn't allow organizers to submit papers, So I got to just listen for two days! Such thoughtful, productive discussion that really has me feeling energized about my field. 

In June, I'll be presenting at the Children's Lit Association conference, and I'm pumped! 

Congrats! I've been following Crip Futurities on Twitter, and it seems like it was an amazing conference. I wish I could have been there! I imagine we have some mutual colleagues: I presented with two UM English/Ed grad students on disability and writing last year at CCCC's, with Melanie Yergeau chairing our panel. 

1 hour ago, ProfLorax said:

After last year, in which I only attended one conference (and presented at two others via Skype) due to le bebe, I overcorrected! I'm going to FOUR conferences: presenting at CCCC, Rhetoric Society of America, and Computers and Writing, and going to CWPA for service stuff. I'm trying to gather more funding, as I'm stretching the $800/year travel support my department offers. How are you all funding your travel? 

My department, my college, and the Graduate School all have funding opportunities (totaling about $1000), but I also work for the Journal of Popular Culture which will fund whatever I don't get covered from the other sources since I'll be working some at the conference.

11 hours ago, DaniB23 said:

I'm off to the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association National Conference in March.  I'll be presenting in the Gender area at the peak time of 8am -_-

I'll be there too! Third year in a row. I love this conference :D

2 hours ago, ProfLorax said:

I'm trying to gather more funding, as I'm stretching the $800/year travel support my department offers. How are you all funding your travel? 

The college that houses my department offers small grants for travel/research, so I applied and got one of those to help when I exhausted the departmental funding. I'm sure it varies from university to university, but I know on my campus at least that there are various random departments, organizations, and offices that also have additional funding available, but you have to search for it because all of that info isn't compiled in a central location.

2 hours ago, toasterazzi said:

I'll be there too! Third year in a row. I love this conference :D

The college that houses my department offers small grants for travel/research, so I applied and got one of those to help when I exhausted the departmental funding. I'm sure it varies from university to university, but I know on my campus at least that there are various random departments, organizations, and offices that also have additional funding available, but you have to search for it because all of that info isn't compiled in a central location.

This is my first year going, but I'm really excited.  Hoping to get a chance to explore Seattle a bit too!

5 hours ago, DaniB23 said:

This is my first year going, but I'm really excited.  Hoping to get a chance to explore Seattle a bit too!

It's a great conference! There's so many interesting panels & people are very welcoming and open in my experience. Plus, it's pretty chill (as far as conferences go). 

I've never been to Seattle, so I'm hoping to get some exploring in as well. Last year, the conference was in New Orleans, and that was a fabulous experience.

On 2/13/2016 at 9:02 PM, thepriorwalter said:

Hey, I just went to that conference, and it was AWESOME. Many kudos to you and the other grad organizers -- I heard multiple people say it was the best conference they'd ever been to. 

3 hours ago, Chadillac said:

Hey, I just went to that conference, and it was AWESOME. Many kudos to you and the other grad organizers -- I heard multiple people say it was the best conference they'd ever been to. 

AHHH, I almost approached you after your panel discussion to ask if it was you and to thank you for all the questions about OSU you answered for me last year. Thought your panel was productive and great. Glad you enjoyed the conference. 

Hey friends! Anyone heading to the CDC (comparative drama conference) in Baltimore this March/April?? I am presenting but seriously in need of a roommate at the hotel! Let me know!  =]
Also, I will also be attending the "Imaginary" themed conference at Northeastern in a few weeks. I live here so I won't be looking for a roommate but if anyone wants advice about the area, please feel free to message =]

I just got back from presenting at Lavender Languages & Linguistics in DC. It was a lot of fun, even given the record coldness of the city itself and spending 6 hours waiting in ORD. :P I'm also going to present at CCCC in Houston, which should hopefully be a little warmer.

On 2/13/2016 at 9:02 PM, thepriorwalter said:

I was there for chunks of it. Definitely a well-done conference.

I'm running a workshop at CCCCs and presenting at HASTAC and CW. Still waiting to hear from SIGDOC, though, honestly, I don't really want to do that and CW this summer.