SIPA 2016

On 4/21/2016 at 7:02 PM, mpp2016 said:

Did anyone receive feedback from SIPA on their funding appeals yet?

I just heard back this evening 

Edited by murray

On 4/26/2016 at 8:13 AM, yoyuvi said:

@murray did you get the funding? if so, how much did you request for and and how much did they give you? Also if you dont mind sharing some of your background information?

No problem. I actually sent my letter to them after hours on the same day that I then received my notification so I think they may have made a decision on my application already. I didn't ask for a specific amount but I mentioned that Michigan had offered me 50% tuition over two years. SIPA offered me the same. Good luck! 

Guest SIPA_MPA18

I just called as well and they said we should receive emails before the end of next week...

Edited by SIPA_MPA18

1 hour ago, mpp2016 said:

I just called as well and they said we should receive emails before the end of next week...

NEXT week? Good to know, but I was hoping to get a response before the May 1st deposit deadline. Woof. 

Guest SIPA_MPA18
11 hours ago, ErmahgerdAdulting said:

NEXT week? Good to know, but I was hoping to get a response before the May 1st deposit deadline. Woof. 

I turned down 50% tuition from Duke for zilch from SIPA -- had to reply/commit by April 15th. Took a HUGE leap of faith. I really hope I get something from SIPA. I turned in my deposit before ASD and they said appeal requests would favor those who were already committed. Crossing my fingers!!!

Just got an email from SIPA on my awards appeal: they couldn't offer me anything, but told me to apply for second year funding in the spring. Good luck to those still waiting!

Guest SIPA_MPA18

Got the same email :/ I'll still be there, just working slightly harder to make sure I get that 2nd year funding!

On April 29, 2016 at 11:47 PM, mpp2016 said:

I turned down 50% tuition from Duke for zilch from SIPA -- had to reply/commit by April 15th. Took a HUGE leap of faith. I really hope I get something from SIPA. I turned in my deposit before ASD and they said appeal requests would favor those who were already committed. Crossing my fingers!!!

50% tuition is huge. May I ask why you decided to go to SIPA over Sanford?

Guest SIPA_MPA18
3 hours ago, kbui said:

50% tuition is huge. May I ask why you decided to go to SIPA over Sanford?

I really felt something when I stepped onto the Columbia campus. Duke would have been the easy, comfortable choice for me. Duke was my #1 choice until I visited NYC. Nothing against Duke at all because I would love to be there, but I felt the challenge of NYC along with international feel of SIPA was something I couldn't resist. I'm partially funded with the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program so in essence, Duke was 100% funded for me with their offer so it really hurt turning that down. Also, the other big factor was that my wife's job opportunities were greater in NYC than in Raleigh-Durham. So a combination of those things pushed us to NYC vs NC. 

On May 8, 2016 at 0:28 AM, mpp2016 said:

@kbuiWhere did you end up deciding on?

I chose HKS, and I had an easier time making my decision.

I looked at the class size and the curriculum, and then the grants and opportunities available, and then the location. I must admit, NYC was incredibly tempting as I felt like there would be so many events going on that I would enjoy. But at the end of the day, I felt that the HKS staff would support me better because they actually had a diversity and inclusion office and the people working in there seemed invested in my education. Boston won't be too bad either--I visited for New Admit Day and hung out with a couple friends, and it sounds like I'll have plenty to keep me occupied.

Guest SIPA_MPA18
11 hours ago, kbui said:

I chose HKS, and I had an easier time making my decision.

I looked at the class size and the curriculum, and then the grants and opportunities available, and then the location. I must admit, NYC was incredibly tempting as I felt like there would be so many events going on that I would enjoy. But at the end of the day, I felt that the HKS staff would support me better because they actually had a diversity and inclusion office and the people working in there seemed invested in my education. Boston won't be too bad either--I visited for New Admit Day and hung out with a couple friends, and it sounds like I'll have plenty to keep me occupied.

Congratulations! That's going to be an amazing experience...good luck to you!