SIPA 2016

Hello guys!

I also received my acceptance letter two weeks ago, but with no funding. Some of you guys have mentioned that it might be worth sending an email. Do any of you guys know what the protocol is in asking for grants and financial aid? I only got out of undergrad last spring and still have heaps of loans to payback :'(

I appreciate any help I can get!!!!! I really hope to see everyone this Fall :D

@Ana89 Back before I applied and thought I probably wouldn't even be accepted I made a post in the "am I competitive" forum you can look at. In all honesty, I really did not expect to get such a generous award, or any award at all really ... maybe they made a clerical error and mixed my application with yours or someone else's? :unsure: I really don't know. But I think I did make a really big effort to overcome the one glaring negative I had (my undergraduate GPA) which perhaps they saw as commendable. Anyway, best of luck, I hope you find the means to make it to NY!

I emailed them asking for an appeal for my funding.  They sent me back a form to fill out.  Also, I would need to send the $2000 non-refundable deposit before they consider me seriously for a funding appeal.  I believe decisions wouldn't be made until after April 15 which is the deadline for 3 out of the 4 programs I applied too.  So yeah.  It's quite the risk.  I received some first year funding but really...it's not enough.

Edited by sp108

@sp108 how did you go about asking for an appeal? For instance, did you go into detail about explaining your situation and why you need an appeal?

I just have no idea what the email is supposed to read like x_ X

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, ek545 said:

@sp108 how did you go about asking for an appeal? For instance, did you go into detail about explaining your situation and why you need an appeal?

I just have no idea what the email is supposed to read like x_ X

Thanks!

Basically I emailed their financial aid office telling them how grateful I was to receive an admittance and funding.  I also told them that SIPA is one of my top choices and I am seriously considering the program however I asked them if there would be an opportunity to get funding.  I was just really nice about it.  I looked over their reply and they sent me a link to an appeal form which asks me to attach funding offers from other programs.  I verified this email with another person and he said he received the same reply.  It's a generic email.  Requesting an appeal wont hurt.  All they will do is send a form to you.  The catch is that you will have to wait til after April 15 when most schools deadlines are made.  You will also have to pay their $2000 deposit to have somewhat of a chance at funding.  Atleast this is the impression I got.  

3 hours ago, sp108 said:

Basically I emailed their financial aid office telling them how grateful I was to receive an admittance and funding.  I also told them that SIPA is one of my top choices and I am seriously considering the program however I asked them if there would be an opportunity to get funding.  I was just really nice about it.  I looked over their reply and they sent me a link to an appeal form which asks me to attach funding offers from other programs.  I verified this email with another person and he said he received the same reply.  It's a generic email.  Requesting an appeal wont hurt.  All they will do is send a form to you.  The catch is that you will have to wait til after April 15 when most schools deadlines are made.  You will also have to pay their $2000 deposit to have somewhat of a chance at funding.  Atleast this is the impression I got.  

They extended my deadline for the acceptance till May 15th (for some other reason). And I have also requested for increased funding. Do you think it'll hurt to not pay the deposit? 

And would anyone know what happens if I pay the deposit at another school and then Columbia comes up with the money and I want to go there instead?

10 hours ago, sp108 said:

I asked for an appeal but I never had to submit a form... they emailed me and said they would consider me for funding, and then a couple of days later I got a generic confirmation that they have received my appeal and would let me know after April 15th.

10 hours ago, sp108 said:

Thanks @sp108 I finally got dat email out :D

Alsooooo, this might be a dumb question as all the different kinds of financial aid are confusing me... But do stipends count as an award? And I'm guessing I can take screenshots of my financial award to provide as documentation for my award letters from other schools?

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong hahaha

7 hours ago, kd7432 said:

They extended my deadline for the acceptance till May 15th (for some other reason). And I have also requested for increased funding. Do you think it'll hurt to not pay the deposit? 

And would anyone know what happens if I pay the deposit at another school and then Columbia comes up with the money and I want to go there instead?

6 minutes ago, hina234 said:

I asked for an appeal but I never had to submit a form... they emailed me and said they would consider me for funding, and then a couple of days later I got a generic confirmation that they have received my appeal and would let me know after April 15th.

Here is what the appeal form says:

Please complete the form below if you would like to appeal your award amount to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Only one appeal form will be processed per applicant. You cannot submit multiple forms or an updated version, so please make sure all of your information is accurate and complete. All appeals must be received by April 15, 2015 at 5p.m. EST. Any appeals received after the deadline will not be processed.

Note: You are highly encouraged to visit the Welcome Portal to accept your enrollment offer and pay the new-student deposit fee by the April 15, 2015 deadline. (Your username and password are in your admission-offer letter.) While appeals are rarely granted, special consideration is given to applicants who have already accepted their offer of admission to SIPA.\

What are the deadlines for all your other schools? There is really some risk and uncertainty in paying the deposit only to not get any funding at all or less than desirable funding.  I would say it's really your call depending on how much you want to go to SIPA compared to your other schools.

10 minutes ago, sp108 said:

Here is what the appeal form says:

Please complete the form below if you would like to appeal your award amount to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Only one appeal form will be processed per applicant. You cannot submit multiple forms or an updated version, so please make sure all of your information is accurate and complete. All appeals must be received by April 15, 2015 at 5p.m. EST. Any appeals received after the deadline will not be processed.

Note: You are highly encouraged to visit the Welcome Portal to accept your enrollment offer and pay the new-student deposit fee by the April 15, 2015 deadline. (Your username and password are in your admission-offer letter.) While appeals are rarely granted, special consideration is given to applicants who have already accepted their offer of admission to SIPA.\

What are the deadlines for all your other schools? There is really some risk and uncertainty in paying the deposit only to not get any funding at all or less than desirable funding.  I would say it's really your call depending on how much you want to go to SIPA compared to your other schools.

Hmm okay, so I think I should probably email them and ask if I need to submit a form.

Did you receive any funding from SIPA? I didn't, so maybe that's why I didn't need to submit a form. I emailed them asking if they could match my funding offer from SAIS, but I didn't attach my SAIS funding letter.

8 minutes ago, hina234 said:

Hmm okay, so I think I should probably email them and ask if I need to submit a form.

Did you receive any funding from SIPA? I didn't, so maybe that's why I didn't need to submit a form. I emailed them asking if they could match my funding offer from SAIS, but I didn't attach my SAIS funding letter.

The appeal form has an attachment feature to attach all the funding letters you have from other schools.  The appeal form also asks if you are a SIPA fellowship recipient.  I did receive funding as well but I haven't submitted an appeal form yet.  There definitely seems to be some inconsistency with the way they are going about with the appeals. 

Edited by sp108

5 hours ago, loveglove said:

Nope

It sounds like SAIS gave you some funding, and that SIPA and HKS haven't responded to you yet. Let's say that all of the funding amounts are the same--where would you go? And what went into the decision?

I was originally 60%/40% HKS to SIPA, but now I'm 95% HKS because they made the experience so personal for me. SIPA was much more impersonal, which is expected since they have a much bigger class size. NYC sounds like it'd be really fun to live in, but I don't think Boston/Cambridge area would be completely horrible, especially because there are so many other universities there (Tufts, MIT, BU). I'm still going to see what HKS will provide in terms of funding, and we'll see if my decision wavers.

49 minutes ago, kbui said:

It sounds like SAIS gave you some funding, and that SIPA and HKS haven't responded to you yet. Let's say that all of the funding amounts are the same--where would you go? And what went into the decision?

I was originally 60%/40% HKS to SIPA, but now I'm 95% HKS because they made the experience so personal for me. SIPA was much more impersonal, which is expected since they have a much bigger class size. NYC sounds like it'd be really fun to live in, but I don't think Boston/Cambridge area would be completely horrible, especially because there are so many other universities there (Tufts, MIT, BU). I'm still going to see what HKS will provide in terms of funding, and we'll see if my decision wavers.

Let's talk via PMs to not bother others :) happy for all your good news for funding!

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me guys!! I am really confused with my choice between HKS (without funding) and SIPA ( half tuition covered). HKS has been my dream since childhood, however SIPA offers me a generous funding. I have very limited knowledge of SIPA and for that matter, how it compares to HKS when it comes to job perspectives in Asia (esp Singapore- I am not from Singapore) where I plan to secure a job. I am an international student with a limited experience in the U.S and in desperate need of advice. I might also defer my admission from HKS until next year in case my plan for a loan becomes unsuccessful. I am also worried if it would be a legitimate reason for a deferral.  

My choice of program is 2 year MPAs for both schools and I am set and stone on specializing in international finance/East Asia studies. 

Please help me on deciding which school! Thank you so much

Guest SIPA_MPA18

Did anyone else attend Admitted Students Day (or watch the events online)? What impression did it make on your decision making process? I met a few other committed students but for the most part everyone was weighing a couple options. 

If anyone wants my thoughts on ASD and the feel of the program, feel free to PM me!

6 hours ago, mpp2016 said:

Did anyone else attend Admitted Students Day (or watch the events online)? What impression did it make on your decision making process? I met a few other committed students but for the most part everyone was weighing a couple options. 

If anyone wants my thoughts on ASD and the feel of the program, feel free to PM me!

maybe you could share your thoughts and feelings here? :)

Hi All,
I am an international student who received an offer to do a MPA from Columbia SIPA, Fall2016 with $30k funding each year. That's $60k totally.
Honestly, I've been noticing some harsh comments on SIPA on gradcafe though its a great program.
I've cornered down to Columbia SIPA, Ford-Michigan and Heinz CMU and trying to finalize on one.

Thoughts on my mind:
1. Columbia SIPA : Huge reputation, 2 year program, internship possible, still comes with a huge debt inspite of $60k funding.
2. Ford-Michigan : 1 year program, lesser debt, NO internship potential. As an international student with 5 year experience, I would like to do an internship but its not the deciding factor.
3. Heinz CMU: Great reputation, 2 year program, internship possible, huge debt.

Given both top private schools, Columbia and Heinz, I'm more inclined towards Columbia SIPA unless I know Heinz has something great that SIPA doesn't. 
Is Columbia SIPA with $60k funding worth the risk of huge debt or FordMichigan?
I would appreciate few thoughts/suggestions on deciding out of the three above.

Offered - MPA:
Columbia SIPA - $30k funding each year.
Heinz CMU - 30% funding each year
Ford Michigan, Ann Arbor - No funding
George Washington - $20k each year
Maxwell, Syracuse - $10k

Rejected:
Harvard

Edited by JoyWalker
grammatical error

Guest SIPA_MPA18

@JoyWalker I'm committed to SIPA and need more funding so I'm genuine in saying that I would choose SIPA over Heinz versus telling you to give your money back to SIPA lol. 

But in all seriousness, if you're looking at 2/3 (give or take) funding from SIPA versus only 30% from Heinz, the experience and exposure you will get at SIPA can't be replicated anywhere else and would be worth the debt you will inevitably incur regardless of where you go. 

• 2 weeks later...