How can I get off the waitlist at my dream clinical psychology program?

PeppermintMocha

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there really isn't much you can do at this point. Maybe thank your POI for putting you on the waitlist and letting you know and express some continued interest. Otherwise, you just have to hope that someone who was admitted to work with your POI declines the offer, which you really can't control

@MarcusAurelius I'm in a similar situation as you. Post-interview but I have not heard anything from my top school (neither rejection, acceptance or waitlisted) although people have received rejection emails based on the results page but I'm not sure if they went for interviews. 

Just wondering... Is it possible that the school would forget to email applicants to inform their status?? 

@emhopefulme I feel like I'm in grad school purgatory! If you can, post on the board and inquire as to whether the rejected posters from your school were interviewed. That's how I found out that they had interviewed, however, it didn't make my situation any less grueling. My hopeful side says we are probably on a short list of alternates and they are working their way down the list. My dissapointed side says, my rejection letter coming in mail. 

@MarcusAurelius I did post my inquiries within the forum itself but no one replied. So I spent my minutes wondering yet I don't have the courage to email the school to ask at this point in time. Like you, I'm trying to tell myself to stay positive one minute and getting anxious in another. Grad school purgatory indeed. 

Did you log into your application portal to check on your status? 

@emhopefulme yes, I did log into portal which still just says "your application is complete" but not DENIED, but, not ACCEPTED. Ugh. I also have no courage to email the school just in case they are still considering me and then choose not to based on my impatience. I'm definitely overthinking it. I am trying to get excited for a Master's application while I wait over the weekend in an area that I love.

@PeppermintMocha I am in the same position! Remember though that since you are waitlisted, that means that whoever they offered the initial acceptance to hasn't decided yet... so it's likely not their top pick of a school. Here's to hoping that person gets in at their #1 so you can get an offer! 

On 2/20/2016 at 10:59 AM, Psych_Major0123 said:

@PeppermintMocha I am in the same position! Remember though that since you are waitlisted, that means that whoever they offered the initial acceptance to hasn't decided yet... so it's likely not their top pick of a school. Here's to hoping that person gets in at their #1 so you can get an offer! 

Thanks so much for your advice! Have you followed up with your programs or POI? I'm thinking of following up but I currently don't have any updates and I'm not sure what else I can say besides that program is my top choice. 

23 hours ago, PeppermintMocha said:

Thanks so much for your advice! Have you followed up with your programs or POI? I'm thinking of following up but I currently don't have any updates and I'm not sure what else I can say besides that program is my top choice. 

I think it's up to you! My POI told me I was first alternative and he would notify as soon as the #1 choice decided, so I am just waiting for another update. But if you haven't heard anything sending a polite request for an update, and reiterating your interest, is definitely acceptable! Good luck!