Jump to content

Accepted by one waiting for other. What to do?


docdecisionsohio

Recommended Posts

I have been accepted into the PhD program at UC and the letter says I have 15 days to accept the offer to enroll. However, I am awaiting word on an application to Vanderbilt. They say I may not hear back for another 30 days or so. What should I do in a case like this?

 

Also, since my application to Vanderbilt went in I have engaged in a plethora of other research, presentations, and pending publications. Is it acceptable to email admissions at Vanderbilt to make them aware of my additional experiences? I will have 2 possible publications, 2 conferences, and an updated GPA since then. Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have this same issue.  A school I interviewed at a few weeks ago asked that I make my decision by this Friday.  I have my last scheduled interview....this Friday.  I also have 3 schools I haven't heard back from (although at this point I probably won't hear anything good).  But basically I am deciding between two schools I have seen and one school I haven't.  It is a very tough decision!  

I talked to people I respect and they said if you feel like you can make a decision then just go for it.  For me I know the school that gave me a deadline is a good school and one I would be happy at.  Because of that I am accepting the offer later today.  If you cannot make that decision, then maybe wait it out and see if the other pieces fall into line.

The one other thing you can do is call the school and explain your situation and ask for an extension.  I have heard this often does work and they will give you additional time to think.  When I asked my school they were a bit wishy washy.  They told me I can take as much time as I need, but I lose the guarantee of my spot. Once they fill up the incoming class my offer will no longer be on the table.  They said usually their are some spots open for a few weeks after the deadline as they extend additional offers to more people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, docdecisionsohio said:

I have been accepted into the PhD program at UC and the letter says I have 15 days to accept the offer to enroll. However, I am awaiting word on an application to Vanderbilt. They say I may not hear back for another 30 days or so. What should I do in a case like this?

Email the admissions director or program coordinator at UC to request an extension of the deadline to accept or decline the offer. Explain that you are thankful for the admittance, but you are awaiting admission notifications from other programs. They may grant you the extension, or they may not. Word your inquiry politely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, docdecisionsohio said:

I have been accepted into the PhD program at UC and the letter says I have 15 days to accept the offer to enroll. However, I am awaiting word on an application to Vanderbilt. They say I may not hear back for another 30 days or so. What should I do in a case like this?

Since Vanderbilt already told you that they can't make a decision in less than 30 days, I would ask for an extension at the UC program. Ask them for 30 more days to make the decision. If they refuse, then you just have to make a choice.

12 hours ago, docdecisionsohio said:

Also, since my application to Vanderbilt went in I have engaged in a plethora of other research, presentations, and pending publications. Is it acceptable to email admissions at Vanderbilt to make them aware of my additional experiences? I will have 2 possible publications, 2 conferences, and an updated GPA since then. Thoughts?

In regards to my second query: I called the admissions office and was told to send in a summary of my new research/contributions, and that it would be added to my file. After doing so I got a response back saying they could not consider the additional information. 

It's good that you asked and tried, but "possible publications" are not usually meaningful. So I am not surprised that they would not consider it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Humulus_lupulus said:

Probably wouldn't hurt to put a little heat on the school that hasn't sent anything yet. I was in a similar situation, so I contacted my PI and asked my chances of being admitted, and he basically said there was almost no chance that I wouldn't be.

Humulus_lupulus,

 

I'm sorry. I just went through that myself. It sucks too bc that was my first choice :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the Council of Grad School April 15 resolution, it sets guidelines that all graduate level universities agree to  

" Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution." See http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution They should not be pressuring you to decide early or saying this (aid) offer will go away in x days. ...know your rights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhD4metoo said:

According to the Council of Grad School April 15 resolution, it sets guidelines that all graduate level universities agree to  

" Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution." See http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution They should not be pressuring you to decide early or saying this (aid) offer will go away in x days. ...know your rights.

You have the right idea but it's important to read the CGS resolution text carefully. There are three important things to keep in mind (not saying these apply in this case, but I think your simplification of the resolution glosses over these important points):

1. The resolution is only about financial offers, not admission offers. In the OP, it's not clear whether or not there is even funding attached. If there is no funding attached, they can compel a student to decide before April 15 and that does not contravene this resolution.

2. The resolution only applies to graduate schools who signed the resolution. Most schools are on the list. But also it's only the Graduate School of the listed schools that are members of the Council of Grad Schools. So this may not apply to programs that are administered by a different part of the university, e.g. professional programs, public health, Education, Business etc.

3. The resolution is an agreement between schools but there is no force that actually compels schools to follow the resolution. The school is not legally bound to give you until April 15 and if they break the convention, there is no actual consequences. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TakeruK said:

You have the right idea but it's important to read the CGS resolution text carefully. There are three important things to keep in mind (not saying these apply in this case, but I think your simplification of the resolution glosses over these important points):

1. The resolution is only about financial offers, not admission offers. In the OP, it's not clear whether or not there is even funding attached. If there is no funding attached, they can compel a student to decide before April 15 and that does not contravene this resolution.

2. The resolution only applies to graduate schools who signed the resolution. Most schools are on the list. But also it's only the Graduate School of the listed schools that are members of the Council of Grad Schools. So this may not apply to programs that are administered by a different part of the university, e.g. professional programs, public health, Education, Business etc.

3. The resolution is an agreement between schools but there is no force that actually compels schools to follow the resolution. The school is not legally bound to give you until April 15 and if they break the convention, there is no actual consequences. 

According to the Council of Grad School April 15 resolution, it sets guidelines that all graduate level universities agree to  

" Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution." See http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution They should not be pressuring you to decide early or saying this (aid) offer will go away in x days. ...know your rights.

 

OK, good close reading. But do you really WANT to go to a school that plays such hardball tactics with you and with such an important decision? Just saying...And I think the CGS could take action against schools found not to be following the resolution. Unlikely, but shaming may work too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PhD4metoo said:

OK, good close reading. But do you really WANT to go to a school that plays such hardball tactics with you and with such an important decision? Just saying...And I think the CGS could take action against schools found not to be following the resolution. Unlikely, but shaming may work too.

I definitely agree with you there! I would be very wary of a school that "played hardball" like this and I would not want to be there at all.

The CGS doesn't really have that much power. Shaming really is the only thing to do, and I think it actually could be an effective method. I think shaming here on TheGradCafe could be good for students to know, but if the schools themselves start shaming resolution breakers, it would be great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use