Federal Jobs?

CuddlyWingman

Hi folks, 

I'm currently waiting to hear back from several agencies regarding summer work with the Feds, and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with the Parks or Forest Service, or the BLM. About how long did it take for them to get back to you? I'm coming up on 2 months for some of these applications, and am getting a little nervous about what I'll be doing come summer. 

My mom works in the government and my boyfriend has been applying for jobs so I can help (kinda). Two months is very common/normal for the government. Usually what happens is that they will eventually send you an email saying if you are under-qualified, somewhat qualified, qualified, and highly qualified. Usually they only add people to the interview list if they are highly qualified. After you have been added to the list it will take another month or so to possibly be invited for an interview. They usually never tell you if the position has been filled or not (boyfriend applied in Nov, is still waiting after being informed he made the list that goes to the hiring manager). So tbh the best way to get a job is too pretty much apply to every opening you see. And people who are already in the system have "dips" on job openings. Good luck, its tough.

For summer jobs, the govt usually tries to hire as fast as possible to lock people up for the upcoming summer field season. But it is still a govt job so it will take time. I suspect that you will hear something soon. If it's good news, you'll be getting a lot of good news fast. If you don't hear anything back in a couple weeks, just assume you didn't make the cut. That being said apply to as many jobs as possible (as an FYI the bulk of the summer jobs either haven't come out yet or were just released). 

I remember for the summer jobs I applied to (though they were hiring for multiple positions under the same announcement), I heard back within a month or two. I've worked for the govt for a couple years so I can answer any other questions you might have.