Biology applicants Fall 2010

takshila

Rejection from Berkeley.

Visited UCSC this weekend, really enjoyed it. The interviews were much less stressful than I had originally envisioned. Off to Boulder, CO this week for another one..

people who went to UMich PIBS interview, care to share you thoughts?! I have been already accepted there, but as an international never got to see the campus :(. I would really appreciate any feed... what you liked, what you didn't like etc

To me the campus has a big town/small city feel. All of the faculty, grad students, and interviewees were very nice, I feel that I will enjoy going to UMich (it was my top choice). The facilities are pretty nice, with the majority of labs located on the main campus. There is a possibility that some labs will be moved to the North campus, which is not that far from central/medical campus. The streets can be very narrow in some spots and there are quite a few one-way streets.

Even though they mentioned in the interviews that students could be notified of acceptances as early as the Monday after I was still surprised when I got the call today. This was the last acceptance I was waiting for since I only applied to two schools.

To me the campus has a big town/small city feel. All of the faculty, grad students, and interviewees were very nice, I feel that I will enjoy going to UMich (it was my top choice). The facilities are pretty nice, with the majority of labs located on the main campus. There is a possibility that some labs will be moved to the North campus, which is not that far from central/medical campus. The streets can be very narrow in some spots and there are quite a few one-way streets.

Even though they mentioned in the interviews that students could be notified of acceptances as early as the Monday after I was still surprised when I got the call today. This was the last acceptance I was waiting for since I only applied to two schools.

thanks!

Alright I am really nervous. I am applying to graduate school for the first time and havent heard much back yet.

I am wondring if anyone has applied to any of the programs I have and has heard anything

I have applied to

UMASS- Worcester, Cancer Bio- Rejected via email

University of Arizona, Cancer Biology- They emailed 2.1.10 saying that first interview invites had been sent out and if the 3-4 open seats were not filled that I may still be called upon for an interview. So not extremely hopefull but not a reject yet!!

University of Virginia, Biomedical Medical Sciences- Nothing Yet I heard some people were called on for an interview yes/no?

Albany Medical College, CCBCR- Nothing Yet............

West Virginia University, Biomedical Sciences- Nothing Yet.......

This is such a stressful waiting period!

I was wondering if anyone got an acceptance or rejection email/phone call whatever to the following programs.

Weill Cornell (Neuro)

UPenn (Biomed)

Mount Sinai (Neuro)

NYU (CNS)

Einstein (Biomed)

Stony Brook (Neuro)

At Penn, each graduate group in BGS handles their interviews separately. If you applied to neuro, then those invites are out (the first interview weekend was this past weekend).

[edit: gremot, I know a bit about Michigan, PM me if you have specific questions]

Edited by dzk

To bb9931 and other applicants, did you contact professors/PIs at the institutions where you are applying? It is crucial that you communicate with people you might want to work with and let them know that you are excited about their research, give them a brief rundown of how amazing you are, and let them know that you applied or are planning to apply and that you would love to know if they will have an opening in their lab in the Fall (or whatever term you are applying for).

The only institution I contacted a professor at ahead of time was the one that rejected me pre-interview. You're applying to the program, not to an individual lab (which is why schools require rotations).

I'm sure it's true for other fields, but not neuroscience or CMB.

Received an email about an hour ago from Berkeley IB inviting me to come for an interview weekend February 19th and 20th.

I actually met with my potential adviser mid-January because he was leaving the country for a few months, so he will not be at this interview weekend. Does this pretty much mean I'm accepted, since there is no way for my adviser to talk with me anymore?

Good luck to everyone else.

Edit: Looks like I will be meeting you in a few weeks, evolve! Awesome.

Edited by Homo studentsis

Has anyone heard from NYU (Molecular Oncology & Immunology) , U Chicago, Columbia?

I heard from UChicago's evolutionary biology for an interview. Don't know if the time table would be the same for other departments... On the website for the life sciences application it says they'll contact you on Jan 6th- Don't listen to this! I didn't hear from them for 3 weeks after that. I'd almost given up hope!

Hey: anyone else going to Yale this coming week for their BBS interview weekend? I received my schedule and I have SIX interviews scheduled.. including three that are "double", which means I'm interviewing with one other applicant at the same time. I've never had a "double" interview before, and 6 total seems like an overkill.

Hey I'm going to that! I have six interviews as well with two of them double interviews. Do you think that means there will be another student in there with us? I hope it means that and NOT that 2 profs will be together with me for a whole hour. I'm totally excited about this trip though-it's my first round of interviews and the only school I'm visiting in that puts us up in an actual hotel!

MB1087 and Homo studentsis congrats! ...IB definitely took their sweet time! So H. studentsis, you will still be going then, even though you've already met with your potential adviser?

Also, I love the fact that the tentative schedule and rsvp specifically state to dress casual! :D

See you both in a few weeks I suppose..

MB1087 and Homo studentsis congrats! ...IB definitely took their sweet time! So H. studentsis, you will still be going then, even though you've already met with your potential adviser?

Also, I love the fact that the tentative schedule and rsvp specifically state to dress casual! :D

See you both in a few weeks I suppose..

I'll definitely be going.

As for dress, I plan on jean cutoff shorts, a stained tank top, and Crocs shoes. I'll make them regret ever emphasizing casual dress. ;)

Edited by Homo studentsis

@ BioResearch

I was at UVA last weekend and really liked it! what BIMS program did you apply to? I applied to SCBB and it sounds like they're done notifying people who have interviews. The Molecular Medicine kids were there at the same time, although I know they had a second interview weekend for them later, so maybe they'll still notify a few more? not sure

@lizgb

what BBS program are you applying for? I didn't get a schedule with any specific faculty mentioned (I did MB&B), although I hope they don't put us with another student in the same interview! that's like some crazy Bachelor shenanegans..

@ BioResearch

I was at UVA last weekend and really liked it! what BIMS program did you apply to? I applied to SCBB and it sounds like they're done notifying people who have interviews. The Molecular Medicine kids were there at the same time, although I know they had a second interview weekend for them later, so maybe they'll still notify a few more? not sure

@lizgb

what BBS program are you applying for? I didn't get a schedule with any specific faculty mentioned (I did MB&B), although I hope they don't put us with another student in the same interview! that's like some crazy Bachelor shenanegans..

I think MB&B won't get one until we're at New Haven because I am also in MB&B and haven't got an interview schedule. In fact, I haven't even got any email from my student host (my friend got it though). Anyway, see you in 2 days!

@ BioResearch

@lizgb

I'm applying to the MCGD genetics track. So yeah, it's probably different.

Alright I am really nervous. I am applying to graduate school for the first time and havent heard much back yet.

I am wondring if anyone has applied to any of the programs I have and has heard anything

I have applied to

UMASS- Worcester, Cancer Bio- Rejected via email

University of Arizona, Cancer Biology- They emailed 2.1.10 saying that first interview invites had been sent out and if the 3-4 open seats were not filled that I may still be called upon for an interview. So not extremely hopefull but not a reject yet!!

University of Virginia, Biomedical Medical Sciences- Nothing Yet I heard some people were called on for an interview yes/no?

Albany Medical College, CCBCR- Nothing Yet............

West Virginia University, Biomedical Sciences- Nothing Yet.......

This is such a stressful waiting period!

Wow did anyone get an interview at Umass Worcester Cancer Bio? I was rejected there too...oh well hopefully the Dartmouth interview goes well and I go there :-P.

Has anyone heard from NYU (molecular onc and immunology?). Also wondering if people have heard from Tufts Immunology that are not Massachusetts residents. Thanks.

I was at the Tufts Immuno interview for locals on Monday. It sounds like those from further away will have a visit later in the month, after the next local interview day(Feb 16). I was told that decisions for acceptance to the program will be made around the beginning of March after interviews are completed, but apparently someone here has already been accepted to the program (posted in results).