Biology applicants Fall 2010

takshila

Just got rejected from MIT microbiology (in case others applied and wanted to know if they are replying). Still have yet to hear from 6 and very nervous, I REALLY want a BU and or Tufts interview. My partner is moving to the east coast for residency and so far my only interview remotely close to boston is Dartmouth. Hopefully I hear from BU or Tufts soon, I'm thinking Tufts is going to be a rejection but I'm really hoping it isn't.

Just got rejected from MIT microbiology (in case others applied and wanted to know if they are replying). Still have yet to hear from 6 and very nervous, I REALLY want a BU and or Tufts interview. My partner is moving to the east coast for residency and so far my only interview remotely close to boston is Dartmouth. Hopefully I hear from BU or Tufts soon, I'm thinking Tufts is going to be a rejection but I'm really hoping it isn't.

BB, I assume you're talking about BU proper and not the Med school? I'm pretty sure Tufts Sackler has 2 interview dates so they might be sending out invites through the first week of Feb.

does anyone know if the following programs are done sending out invites:

northwestern IBiS

UCLA access

UCSC (biomedical sciences: MCD)

USC biology

Cal Tech biology

also, did anyone apply to UC berkeley's infectious disease and immunity program?

Pretty sure UCSC is done as they only have one recruitment weekend and it's this coming weekend Jan28-30. I guess it's possible that they will send out some more invites after the first weekend.

Also, my P.I. recently chatted with someone on the admissions committee for Berkeley MCB. I guess they are only taking ~35 students this year (compared to 60+ for the past few years), so they're obviously interviewing a lot fewer people. If you haven't received an invite yet (like myself), I guess it's really unlikely you will, but still possible.

From what I've heard, Berkeley MCB is done.

[berkeley MCB is] obviously interviewing a lot fewer people.

Indeed. Down from 175 to 100 interview invites, about.

Edited by Krypton

@bb

In case you are interested UMASS Boston applications are due Monday Feb. 1st. I am thinking of applying there as a back up in case nothing else works out

Edited by bumikaze

BB, I assume you're talking about BU proper and not the Med school? I'm pretty sure Tufts Sackler has 2 interview dates so they might be sending out invites through the first week of Feb.

I meant Boston University Immunology (thru division of grad medical sciences)

Has anyone heard from Berkeley Integrative bio recently? I thought an earlier post said interviews would be extended on jan 22, but I haven't seen anyone post that they received an invite.

I was mistaken... apparently the committee was to decide by the 22nd and they will notify people around the end of this month.

Has anyone applied to Loyola's (in Chicago) micro and immunology program? And does anyone know anything about it? I was invited to interview but can't make it until the March 19th interview. Do you think it's a disadvantage to interview so late?

I was mistaken... apparently the committee was to decide by the 22nd and they will notify people around the end of this month.

aaaaaaahhhhhh. these are the sorts of crumbs that barely nourish my - oh whatever. pithiness and bitterness do not a happy lurker make. you shouldn't toy with me like this.

Hello MarA,

I don't recognize very many of the faculty but I can say a little about some of them. Fred Ausubel does really excellent microbiology work (I reference many of his papers for my thesis) and is an excellent collaborator and so has fostered a lot of good will. Craig Hunter is deservedly famous, and supposedly a good guy as well. Catherine Dulac is again quite famous for her circadian rhythms work but also good with students. Kevin Eggan is one of the up-and-coming people to know in the stem cell field. Richard Losick is a huge figure in molecular bio, and can really make a lot happen for you if he's on your side (and he tends to be very pro-student). Andrew McMahon is also both brilliant and kind to students in developmental biology. Doug Melton, when he has the time (he has a lot on his plate, pretty much running the new stem cell institute), is very good. I've also heard good things about Rachel Wilson, though she has gotten so much press lately between and HHMI award and a MacArthur that she may be especially in demand. Sorry to not know more, but I would be very excited if I were in your shoes!

Thank you! It's very informative!

Does anybody know if Yale bbs- MCGD is holding interviews this year? Anxiously waiting for news...

I believe they sent out their interview invitations in late December/early January. General consensus is that they're done, but I suppose it is always possible that there is a waitlist.

I believe they sent out their interview invitations in late December/early January. General consensus is that they're done, but I suppose it is always possible that there is a waitlist.

does this also apply for international students?

Is anyone else out there applying to University of Chicago's Biophysics program? Apparently this is the first year they are doing their admissions as a separate departmentand they have essentially no information available.

Has anyone heard anything? The waiting is killing me!

Does anybody know if Yale bbs- MCGD is holding interviews this year? Anxiously waiting for news...

MCGD is scheduled to have two interview sessions: 2/5-2/6 and 2/12-2/13 (http://bbs.yale.edu/...tionstatus.aspx)

I don't want to be a downer but it seems unlikely that they still send out invites since it is already quite late to attend any of these 2 sessions.

However, they do mention in the FAQ page that they may make decision as late as March.

And to Gremot, international applicants are phone interviewed somewhere in Feb or March, according to the link above.

MCGD is scheduled to have two interview sessions: 2/5-2/6 and 2/12-2/13 (http://bbs.yale.edu/...tionstatus.aspx)

I don't want to be a downer but it seems unlikely that they still send out invites since it is already quite late to attend any of these 2 sessions.

However, they do mention in the FAQ page that they may make decision as late as March.

And to Gremot, international applicants are phone interviewed somewhere in Feb or March, according to the link above.

thanks - then i will not worry yet :)

MarA, if I may inquire, when did you hear from Einstein and do you have any idea if they are still sending out invites? Thanks.

Yea I have not yet heard from Einstein or NYU. Einstein's deadline was sometime in January, that might be why they are taking awhile to respond.

I spoke with someone at NYU CNS today and they said they don't do interview and just send out decisions mid march.

Ah well I contacted Einstein and they interview into March, I spoke to a friend of mine last year and said most programs reply during February, with the fast programs replying in Jan. I have a few interviews so I'm not super paranoid, but it would be nice to hear back from the 5 or so programs that I haven't heard from.

MarA, if I may inquire, when did you hear from Einstein and do you have any idea if they are still sending out invites? Thanks.

I applied in early Dec and got an invite on Dec 22. From what I have learned from the grad students coordinating the event, there will be a total of ~7 interview sessions and so far only 2 (mine included) had been conducted. Assuming there are 2-3 iinterviews in a month, I am pretty sure they are still sending out invites for the late Feb and March sessions.