Biology applicants Fall 2010

takshila

Does anyone know when programs generally let you know if you are accepted or not post interview? My first interview is one of my top choices (18th of Feb), so I was curious if programs typically let you know right away or if they wait awhile before offering acceptances. I'm sure this differs by school, but I'd like to know.

Does anyone know when programs generally let you know if you are accepted or not post interview? My first interview is one of my top choices (18th of Feb), so I was curious if programs typically let you know right away or if they wait awhile before offering acceptances. I'm sure this differs by school, but I'd like to know.

Not sure about other schools but for Einstein, they will let us know about 1 week and a half after the interview.

Hey: anyone else going to Yale this coming week for their BBS interview weekend? I received my schedule and I have SIX interviews scheduled.. including three that are "double", which means I'm interviewing with one other applicant at the same time. I've never had a "double" interview before, and 6 total seems like an overkill.

My Profile...

Programs applied to: Biology and Microbiology; specific interests in Environmental Microbiology

Cum and Major GPA: 3.494/4.0; Graduated May 2003; Postgrad GPA in biological sciences 3.89/4.0

GRE: 640Q (54%? something crummy); 670V (95%); 5.0A (or whatever 81% was)

No Subject GREs

Citizenship: US

Research/Professional Experience: Summer Mathematics REU, 5 years Teaching; 2 years as Academic Advisor and doing postgrad work in biosciences

LORs: 1 from my previous professor/advisor from undergrad, 1 from famous current prof, 1 from another current professor

Publications/Presentations: Presentation at one Senior Symposium (I don't think I even mentioned this), no publications :(

Fellowships: Aborted application for Ford Foundation (ugh, if I had finished it then I might have had a chance!)

Schools Applied to for Fall 2010:

UOregon (interview)

SIO at UCSD (still working on fellowship applications)

CalTech (admitted)

UCSD

UCI

UCBerkeley

OHSU

Oregon State

UWashington

UMass Amherst

Edited by yinyangwriter

Hey: anyone else going to Yale this coming week for their BBS interview weekend? I received my schedule and I have SIX interviews scheduled.. including three that are "double", which means I'm interviewing with one other applicant at the same time. I've never had a "double" interview before, and 6 total seems like an overkill.

oh, and just to clarify. i meant i gots 6 faculty interviews scheduled for my yale visit, with tres being double interviews. do any other gradcafe-ers have 6 interviews with yale too? that just seems like a huge sum

oh, and just to clarify. i meant i gots 6 faculty interviews scheduled for my yale visit, with tres being double interviews. do any other gradcafe-ers have 6 interviews with yale too? that just seems like a huge sum

May I ask you which track did you apply to and when did you get your schedule? I applied to the molecular biophysics and biochemistry track and didn't even get a schedule. In fact, I haven't received anything from them after I have told them my airport arrival and departure dates and times.

Edited by MarA

To bb9931 and other applicants, did you contact professors/PIs at the institutions where you are applying? It is crucial that you communicate with people you might want to work with and let them know that you are excited about their research, give them a brief rundown of how amazing you are, and let them know that you applied or are planning to apply and that you would love to know if they will have an opening in their lab in the Fall (or whatever term you are applying for). This serves to make the professor feel that you are particularly interested in their research and not just applying to the program because of the cachet (or alternatively as a safe school, etc). Make the professors feel flattered and wanted. You LOVE their research and want to work with them and only them...you only applied to the program because of their research that you read about in their papers A and B. Its a dating game. And if some guy came and said how he admired X, Y, and Z accomplishments of mine and thought I was an awesome person and also demonstrated that he had desirable qualities himself (minds out of the gutter now!) and asked if I would go out with him, I very likely would say yes. Flattery works.

That is a terrible move. Flattery annoys, and most professors do not have the time to deal with students who may not be admitted in the first place.

In addition, telling a professor he or she is the only reason you applied to a particular program is the fast road to rejection if that professor, for any of a myriad of reasons, cannot or will not support you.

My schedule has only 4 interviews, I applied to the Microbiology track. Good luck to you.

To bb9931 and other applicants, did you contact professors/PIs at the institutions where you are applying? It is crucial that you communicate with people you might want to work with and let them know that you are excited about their research, give them a brief rundown of how amazing you are, and let them know that you applied or are planning to apply and that you would love to know if they will have an opening in their lab in the Fall (or whatever term you are applying for). This serves to make the professor feel that you are particularly interested in their research and not just applying to the program because of the cachet (or alternatively as a safe school, etc). Make the professors feel flattered and wanted. You LOVE their research and want to work with them and only them...you only applied to the program because of their research that you read about in their papers A and B. Its a dating game. And if some guy came and said how he admired X, Y, and Z accomplishments of mine and thought I was an awesome person and also demonstrated that he had desirable qualities himself (minds out of the gutter now!) and asked if I would go out with him, I very likely would say yes. Flattery works.

I appreciate the sarcasm...clearly blatant flattery is the way to get everything :-P. I did indeed contact various labs, however not all responded and many of the emails were very brief (don't want to annoy). I plan on reading some papers of my interviewers when I actually interview so that I can converse with them about their research etc... I'm hoping to either be at Dartmouth, BU, or Tufts Sackler I think they are probably my top 3 at this point (assuming that I get rejected from Harvard!)

What are peoples thoughts on visible tattoos and piercings over the interview weekend?

I have 2 visible tattoos one small and one quite large on my arms (transmembrane helix on my wrist and a poem on my upper arm) and a tongue ring. I am also a girl if that makes a difference.

My mother (who has always hated them) has impressed upon me that long sleeves and a clear plastic bar instead of my normal metal in thetongue is a must.

Does anyone else think this is really necessary; I mean it is science and pretty laid back, right? Or do I need to cover up?

Edited by any1butme2

@any1butme2

I would definitely cover up. Why take the chance? Just think: if you are on the edge of being accepted and one person on the admissions committee has a problem with tattoos or piercings.... well, you get the idea. It's winter, so it won't look strange to be in long sleeves (I certainly will be). And I would absolutely use the plastic bar. (Is it possible for you to take it out for the weekend?)

Sure, it shouldn't be this way. You and your research should be all that matters. But this isn't a perfect world.

@any1butme2

You should TOTALLY let your transmembrane helix show! Any scientist worth their salt would get a kick out of that!

Oh wow, I totally didn't notice that one of them was a transmembrane helix! It's on your wrist, right? Wear long sleeves (to cover the other one) and then push them up a bit to that it shows. That is too cool.

Thanks Bio1 and AlexM, My helix is definitely my favorite, if nothing else it’s hilarious and infinitely nerdy.

What better way to convince the admissions committee of my level of dedication? (only kidding)

3/4 length sleeves it is then.

I suppose after being accepted is the best time to scandalize them with the truth… sigh… guess I’m going shopping.

people who went to UMich PIBS interview, care to share you thoughts?! I have been already accepted there, but as an international never got to see the campus :(. I would really appreciate any feed... what you liked, what you didn't like etc

I was wondering if anyone got an acceptance or rejection email/phone call whatever to the following programs.

Weill Cornell (Neuro)

UPenn (Biomed)

Mount Sinai (Neuro)

NYU (CNS)

Einstein (Biomed)

Stony Brook (Neuro)

Reason I ask is that people seem to be getting rejection emails to many schools as well as interview invites. I have some of both but for this set of schools Ive heard nothing and its kind of strange. Anyone?

Thanks.

Vassago, I got invited to Stony Brook Neuro program for an interview on Jan 13th - I submitted mine pretty early (mid Dec) because they have rolling admissions. The interview weekend I'm going to is next week. Don't know about other schools you listed.

Vassago, I got invited to Stony Brook Neuro program for an interview on Jan 13th - I submitted mine pretty early (mid Dec) because they have rolling admissions. The interview weekend I'm going to is next week. Don't know about other schools you listed.

I was wondering if anyone got an acceptance or rejection email/phone call whatever to the following programs.

Weill Cornell (Neuro)

UPenn (Biomed)

Mount Sinai (Neuro)

NYU (CNS)

Einstein (Biomed)

Stony Brook (Neuro)

Reason I ask is that people seem to be getting rejection emails to many schools as well as interview invites. I have some of both but for this set of schools Ive heard nothing and its kind of strange. Anyone?

Thanks.

I applied to Einstein in early December and got invited on Dec 22 through email to their 1/25-26 interview session. They have rolling admissions though and they may notice people at different times.