Cognitive Psychology at Rutgers? How good is it?

Moe Tucker

Hey, I was planning on applying for Rutgers next year. I just wanted others' opinions on how good their Cognitive Psychology PhD program is. I was personally pretty interested in the research being done by the professors. But for some reason was confused about whether it is worth opting for. On a scale of 1 to 10, how good do you think their program is?

If you like the research being done by the professors, it's worth opting for. All of the psych programs at Rutgers have a very solid reputation. They are also very competitive programs to get into. But if you think it would be a good research fit, apply. Phd admissions are a crapshoot. Very qualified people get rejected from these programs. So apply and get offers before you rule out decent programs based on prestige...apply to both mid and top tier programs (and honestly I think Rutgers is almost, if not already, a top tier program). If I had to rate, I would give it a 9. 

Edited by Anxiousapplicant01

Some benefits of Rutgers that are worth noting:

• Funding: FULL tuition remission with a generous stipend compared to other programs
  • Research-oriented: the cognitive, like the other psych programs, are heavily-focused on research. Lots of faculty are funded by the NIH, NSF, etc.
  • Interdisciplinary: opportunity to work with and in the Center for Cognitive Science, Interdisciplinary Studies in Perceptual Science, etcetc. 

Reiterating what anxiousapplicant01 said, it is a good program and if you find good research fit, definitely apply. :)