MoMA Internships

chloedejonge

Hey, I thought it would be a good idea to open a topic for the MoMA internships, because they have been mentioned a couple of times in other threads. I applied for the Summer internship, and haven't received a confirmation yet. Anyone in the same situation?

Hi,

I applied for the summer internship with my first choice as Media & Performance Art. I've heard that they don't send you an email confirmation, and they contact for interviews much closer to the acceptance date - so I'm thinking late March or April at the earliest.

I'm very unsure if I will even be a competitive applicant. I'm trying to start grad school in the fall and have proof of acceptance, but my undergrad is in film (class of 2011) and not art history. However, I have 5 years professional experience, with the last 2 directly working within curating, producing, coordinating, and administration for art collectives and arts education. Hope they take people outside of academia!

Good luck to you!

Edited by radredhead

It's unbelievably early but I'm strongly considering taking a year off from graduate school to pursue the 12-month internship at MoMA. I think I have a good chance this time around, considering my recent research, work experience, and certain recommenders. At the same time, how often do people get accepted that are mid-way through their MA? I could wait until I graduate but something in my gut says that now is the right time.

GhostsBeforeBreakfast at what point are you in your studies at the moment? I think you can get accepted mid-way through grad school but you have to come up with a really good reason for why don't you wait until graduating.

radredhead, you sound like a great applicant to me, good luck! The MoMA seems like quite 'cool' and flexible with their selection, so I think you should be hopeful! The only thing is that not all departments have interns so we might get unlucky. I applied for Education and I hope they have projects going on so they'll need a hand or two during the summer.

On 2/28/2016 at 8:46 AM, chloedejonge said:

GhostsBeforeBreakfast at what point are you in your studies at the moment? I think you can get accepted mid-way through grad school but you have to come up with a really good reason for why don't you wait until graduating.

radredhead, you sound like a great applicant to me, good luck! The MoMA seems like quite 'cool' and flexible with their selection, so I think you should be hopeful! The only thing is that not all departments have interns so we might get unlucky. I applied for Education and I hope they have projects going on so they'll need a hand or two during the summer.

Thank you! Giving me hope!

That is interesting regarding the department projects. I wasn't aware of that! I did put in 3 choices, with no. 2 being publications and no. 3 being Exhibition Planning & Administration. Choice 3 is basically what I do for work right now, so while I think I'd be exceptionally qualified for that, I want to move into curatorial and hope there's an opportunity there!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a confirmation yesterday that they got my application. I applied for the Summer internship but the confirmation said that they received my application for the Spring internship - I really hope it's just a typo! I e-mailed them and as always I got an automatic e-mail about the high number of inquiries so I don't expect an answer. Anyway, the Spring internship has already started so I don't think I should be worried. Anyone else got a confirmation?

I also applied for the summer internship.  Does anybody the weight of such a short internship in the application to a Cultural Studies/Art History PhD program?  I did my undergrad in Studio Arts with an Art History minor, now slowly building my credentials to pursue a more theoretical program in the next couple years.  Would a MoMA summer internship be of much help?

On 3/28/2016 at 11:57 PM, chloedejonge said:

Does anyone know where are we likely to get a notification about interviews or rejections? Any past applicants or anything? Or is it department specific?

i believe the confirmation email said the final notification date was april 25. not sure about interviews though, i still haven't heard anything!

I have only received the automated confirmation. Going by what previous applicants have said, they do interviews pretty close to the notification date. Hopefully we will be contacted this week or the next if we are a finalist!

Hey guys I also sent a request for the Summer internship but haven't heard back for any interview, if you know someone who has can you please let me know? Am already pretty demoralized but at least knowing it will help me accepting definitely that i have been rejected. Thanks!

Hello Guys! Has anyone received any e-mail from MoMA yet? According to their website, the 22nd of April is the big / decision notification day. Just wondering that maybe any further update on any of the departments could help the rest of us here who are still waiting... I've spent the last few days on F5. Am I the only one? :) 

9 hours ago, GeorgeM said:

Hello Guys! Has anyone received any e-mail from MoMA yet? According to their website, the 22nd of April is the big / decision notification day. Just wondering that maybe any further update on any of the departments could help the rest of us here who are still waiting... I've spent the last few days on F5. Am I the only one? :) 

The initial email confirming the reception of application says the notification will be sent out "the week of April 25".  According to applicants from past years, many people got rejections 10-15 days after the official notification date.... Let's just hope, or simply give up hope.

I just got a rejection letter.

I was expecting it since the confirmation e-mail said we'd be contacted by departments in a couple of weeks after the deadline if we were of interest. Anyway, I'm glad that I don't have to worry about this one anymore. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On February 24, 2017 at 2:27 PM, algodecir said:

Did anyone in here apply this past weekend?  I am anxiously awaiting notification over here!

I did! Have you gotten a response? 

• 1 year later...