Hertie School of Governance 2016

seaglass0025

Any folks who have applied or been accepted to Hertie School of Governance this application season? Though i've found past threads, don't think there is one for 2016!

Just checked my portal today and discovered I've been admitted! Yet to receive an e-mail though, anyone know how soon afterwards we receive it and also financial aid information?

Edited by seaglass0025

Hey there!

Yeah, I applied as well (2/2/16) and ever since I've been checking the online Portal - It still says Evaluation. When did you apply? What does your status say exactly? As far as I heard, info coming in on fin aid can take up to 1 month or even longer.

Hey there! Glad to finally find a fellow applicant here :)

My status was "Under Evaluation" up till early yesterday morning on my portal. Took a doubletake when I saw my status changed to Accepted. 

Submitted my application on 1/24 and heard back 2/26. Although Hertie is notorious for being quick with acceptances maybe they've got a large load of applicants to get through around this time of the year! 

Good luck! Is Hertie your priority school or did you apply elsewhere? 

Yes it's my top choice. The waiting is becoming more and more excruciating. I don't understand why I didn't hear back from them, although I applied 4 weeks ago. This is making me really nervous, as all other cases I know, got notice within 3 weeks tops. Did you receive an E-Mail in the meantime? I'm trying to find a pattern, how their admission cycle works but I can't find any consistency. Generally the admissions office doesn't seem to work under any SOPs, and leaves more of an amorphous impression.

2 minutes ago, be409 said:

Yes it's my top choice. The waiting is becoming more and more excruciating. I don't understand why I didn't hear back from them, although I applied 4 weeks ago. This is making me really nervous, as all other cases I know, got notice within 3 weeks tops. Did you receive an E-Mail in the meantime? I'm trying to find a pattern, how their admission cycle works but I can't find any consistency. Generally the admissions office doesn't seem to work under any SOPs, and leaves more of an amorphous impression.

Good luck! Finally called the admissions office to confirm my acceptance, which they did and apparently it was a glitch on their part that I didn't receive my official e-mail. Don't worry, it took me nearly 4 weeks as well to hear back and was just as concerned as you! God knows how their admissions process works. Let us know when you hear news :)

Don't worry, you'll get an answer soon, I'm sure. Took them two months to get back to me as well, it's just a matter of luck whether you apply close to a scheduled admissions committee session or not. Scholarship decisions should also be out in the next two weeks from what I hear.

10 minutes ago, pyrhuss said:

Don't worry, you'll get an answer soon, I'm sure. Took them two months to get back to me as well, it's just a matter of luck whether you apply close to a scheduled admissions committee session or not. Scholarship decisions should also be out in the next two weeks from what I hear.

Yes, to go off of this the admissions office confirmed with me I should be hearing about scholarship decisions either this week or next week latest (assuming this will also apply to most applicants)!

Edited by seaglass0025

Hiya!

I just got accepted to the MPP programme this afternoon with a 25% tuition waiver, and I am definitely gonna accept the offer. Just FYI, I turned in my application about a month ago but one of my referees didn't submit the letter of recommendation until last last monday. It'd be lovely to meet some fellow classmates here before school starts! :)

Edited by greyvetiver

3 hours ago, greyvetiver said:

Hiya!

I just got accepted to the MPP programme this afternoon with a 25% tuition waiver, and I am definitely gonna accept the offer. Just FYI, I turned in my application about a month ago but one of my referees didn't submit the letter of recommendation until last last monday. It'd be lovely to meet some fellow classmates here before school starts! :)

Hey there! Also just heard back with a 25% tuition waiver as well! Was Hertie your first choice? What is making you choose this program specifically? 

6 minutes ago, seaglass0025 said:

Hey there! Also just heard back with a 25% tuition waiver as well! Was Hertie your first choice? What is making you choose this program specifically? 

Yep, I only applied for Hertie. I've always wanted to live in Berlin and I've heard so many amazing things about the school from the alumni and friends who are in the public policy field. Thus, Hertie was an obvious choice for me. 

1 hour ago, greyvetiver said:

Yep, I only applied for Hertie. I've always wanted to live in Berlin and I've heard so many amazing things about the school from the alumni and friends who are in the public policy field. Thus, Hertie was an obvious choice for me. 

Congrats and thanks so much! Are you located in Europe? Im a US applicant so a bit concerned about how the school is perceived abroad. Please do share the details of all the good things you've heard from alumni and friends! It would definitely help shape my decision making! 

It took me around six weeks to find out that I was accepted into their relatively younger program: MIA. Applied in early January and got offer of a place in late February. Still however, waiting out for financial aid email which I was told will come on the heels of admission offer. Hoping to hear back in a week or two at the latest. To those accepted: had you sent your GRE scores along and how strong/weak they were? Just wondering if they had any bearing in financial aid consideration. Also who else has an offer in the MIA program?

14 hours ago, greyvetiver said:

Hiya!

Nice, congrats! But now I'm really going nuts on this waiting issue. When did you apply exactly? For both MPP/MIA, and may I ask what's the first letter of your last name? Just trying to find a pattern here and to predict when results are coming in. I was told via a source, that decisions are coming in definetly this week. As you can imagine, I'm sitting in the office right now, refreshing the website every "two seconds" :D 

As to the reputation of the School, I know that at least in Germany and especially in the EU the school is well known and very much respected as a top research institution. Of course I can't say anything about the US, but just look at the partner schools and double degrees and you might figure where Herties journey is going.

As to the GRE results, I guess most of us Germans and Europeans don't take the GRE, because it's not very common for most of the IR/PP programs round here, this is of course only if you don't apply to "americanized schools" or even schools in the US. That being said, I suppose it's not that decisive, especially in a fin aid related way.

1 hour ago, gradphil said:

It took me around six weeks to find out that I was accepted into their relatively younger program: MIA. Applied in early January and got offer of a place in late February. Still however, waiting out for financial aid email which I was told will come on the heels of admission offer. Hoping to hear back in a week or two at the latest. To those accepted: had you sent your GRE scores along and how strong/weak they were? Just wondering if they had any bearing in financial aid consideration. Also who else has an offer in the MIA program?

Although i'm American, did not take the GRE. Still managed to get a 25% tuition waiver, so for European folks it should be fine if you do not have GRE scores to show for it! 

49 minutes ago, be409 said:

Nice, congrats! But now I'm really going nuts on this waiting issue. When did you apply exactly? For both MPP/MIA, and may I ask what's the first letter of your last name? Just trying to find a pattern here and to predict when results are coming in. I was told via a source, that decisions are coming in definetly this week. As you can imagine, I'm sitting in the office right now, refreshing the website every "two seconds" :D 

As to the reputation of the School, I know that at least in Germany and especially in the EU the school is well known and very much respected as a top research institution. Of course I can't say anything about the US, but just look at the partner schools and double degrees and you might figure where Herties journey is going.

As to the GRE results, I guess most of us Germans and Europeans don't take the GRE, because it's not very common for most of the IR/PP programs round here, this is of course only if you don't apply to "americanized schools" or even schools in the US. That being said, I suppose it's not that decisive, especially in a fin aid related way.

be409, thank you for telling me about the reputation in Europe! Everything I have heard so far is wonderful I must say! 

What is being said about the quality of education and what makes it unique as an institution? How about quality of life in Berlin? :)

Applied for the program 1/24 and heard back 2/26. Last name starts with a "K". Good luck!!

Edited by seaglass0025

39 minutes ago, seaglass0025 said:

be409, thank you for telling me about the reputation in Europe! Everything I have heard so far is wonderful I must say!

What is being said about the quality of education and what makes it unique as an institution? :)

Applied for the program 1/24 and heard back 2/26. Last name starts with a "K". Good luck!!

You might want to take a look at this report compiled by the Hertie Student Organisation in 2014, which evaluates the MPP program against other established policy schools. It helps to get a bit of an inside perspective on where the school stands and where it is going. But that being said, all my friends there are extremely happy with the quality of instruction. Hertie seems to offer good value for money, and some of the people I know that went on to do the dual degree with SIPA even told me that - besides the Columbia name and a much wider course selection - they still felt they got a better education during their year at Hertie.

Edited by pyrhuss

10 hours ago, seaglass0025 said:

Congrats and thanks so much! Are you located in Europe? Im a US applicant so a bit concerned about how the school is perceived abroad. Please do share the details of all the good things you've heard from alumni and friends! It would definitely help shape my decision making! 

Congrats on getting a tuition waiver as well! I am currently based in Asia/Europe and I actually went to uni in the states. All the people I know who went to Hertie loved it, and I have never heard one bad thing about the school. Like specifically they said the professors are really good at what they are doing and are top of their class in Europe. And you can have really close relationships with the professors given the size of the school. As for reputation overseas, my friend told me since it's in the GPPN, it means the school is basically on par with other great public policy schools around the globe.

57 minutes ago, be409 said:

I submitted my application materials on 1/28 and got accepted via email on 3/2. Btw, I went to the states for my undergraduate degree and I didn't take the GRE. Thus, I don't think it matters that much as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, pyrhuss said:

I've only heard good thin

You might want to take a look at this report compiled by the Hertie Student Organisation in 2014, which evaluates the MPP program against other established policy schools. It helps to get a bit of an inside perspective on where the school stands and where it is going. But that being said, all my friends there are extremely happy with the quality of instruction. Hertie seems to offer good value for money, and some of the people I know that went on to do the dual degree with SIPA even told me that - besides the Columbia name and a much wider course selection - they still felt they got a better education during their year at Hertie.

Thank you, will definitely check out the report (it already looks amazing)! Do you know what the requirements for doing a dual degree with SIPA are? I'm assuming it's too late in the game to consider this? Does Hertie have exchange programs too, which you can apply to later on during the degree program? Yes, does seem like lots of the exchange students (Sciences Po and Columbia) have enjoyed their classes at Hertie! 

Edited by seaglass0025

1 hour ago, greyvetiver said:

Congrats on getting a tuition waiver as well! I am currently based in Asia/Europe and I actually went to uni in the states. All the people I know who went to Hertie loved it, and I have never heard one bad thing about the school. Like specifically they said the professors are really good at what they are doing and are top of their class in Europe. And you can have really close relationships with the professors given the size of the school. As for reputation overseas, my friend told me since it's in the GPPN, it means the school is basically on par with other great public policy schools around the globe.

That's fantastic! Are some of the folks you've spoken to American/Asian/outside of Europe? I'm a tad big concerned about job prospects after graduation as an American and also how my non-existenant knowledge of German might affect my chances of getting an internship in Berlin. 

However what you're saying seems to be mirroring a lot of things i've been hearing as well. Went to a private liberal arts college in the U.S. for undergrad and truly appreciated the intimate relationships I built with my professors. Ideally, i'd like to have that for grad school too (at least on some level). So glad to hear that about Hertie! 

42 minutes ago, seaglass0025 said:

That's fantastic! Are some of the folks you've spoken to American/Asian/outside of Europe? I'm a tad big concerned about job prospects after graduation as an American and also how my non-existenant knowledge of German might affect my chances of getting an internship in Berlin. 

However what you're saying seems to be mirroring a lot of things i've been hearing as well. Went to a private liberal arts college in the U.S. for undergrad and truly appreciated the intimate relationships I built with my professors. Ideally, i'd like to have that for grad school too (at least on some level). So glad to hear that about Hertie! 

Hey, I am sorry I don't have an answer to your first question. They all speak German and stay in Berlin for work after graduation. But I know Hertie provides german courses for foreign students, so perhaps that would help you with getting an internship in Berlin. I also did some research about the exchange programmes offered by Hertie and you can apply for that after completing your first semester. Is Hertie your top choice btw? If you don't mind me asking, what are your other options?

Edited by greyvetiver

22 minutes ago, greyvetiver said:

Hey, I am sorry I don't have an answer to your first question. They all speak German and stay in Berlin for work after graduation. But I know Hertie provides german courses for foreign students, so perhaps that would help you with getting an internship in Berlin. I also did some research about the exchange programmes offered by Hertie and you can apply for that after completing your first semester. Is Hertie your top choice btw? If you don't mind me asking, what are your other options?

Thanks, greyvetiver! I've sent an email to the study abroad office to see what the requirements are exactly/logistics. I'm thrilled to have been accepted to Hertie but I'm still trying to figure out what would be best for me. There are some other programs that I'm hoping to get into and still waiting to hear back (should be hearing back shortly). But the more I hear about Hertie the more I'm liking what I hear ;)

3 hours ago, seaglass0025 said:

Although i'm American, did not take the GRE. Still managed to get a 25% tuition waiver, so for European folks it should be fine if you do not have GRE scores to show for it! 

3 hours ago, greyvetiver said:

Btw, I went to the states for my undergraduate degree and I didn't take the GRE. Thus, I don't think it matters that much as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. This makes sense since GRE is not a requirement for admission at Hertie and not submitting scores should not militate against one's odds of acceptance and funding.  But having reasonable GREs and submitting them for review might increase the chances of funding and be helpful for dual-degree option at a partner school in the U.S. as well. Only a speculation however. Not sure if it has any role and if yes how much.

21 hours ago, greyvetiver said:

Hiya!

Tell me, at what time (CET) did you receive the mail or did you look it up online?