UCR vs USC vs UCSD for MS CS

LostMyDucK

Dear All,

Background: Currently I have 3 admits so far and I am torn between them. I am from a small state school and all of these admissions are top notch and beyond what I ever expected to gain admit to. I am also only trying to achieve my masters because I wish to go to industry and the pay bump for having a PhD isn't worth it if you're aiming for industry. Note: I have no debt from my undergraduate so I am willing to pay for masters because I believe I will be able to manage to pay it off for a two years masters. I just don't want to spend extra $$$ for a minute difference between schools.

UCR (Ranked #56, they only accepted 33 PhDs)- Accepted to their PhD with a fellowship of 208k for 5 years. However, I have heard that UCR's social life is dead and it's a commuter college which implies that it's dead on the weekends. Furthermore, I have heard the area around UCR isn't the most exciting which is another downfall. Despite this, they said I am allowed to stop after masters which means I can attain it for free.

USC (Ranked #20, MS seens as cash cow and high admit) - The main factor drawing me to USC is their insane social life. However, I don't think 100k~ for the two years is reasonable, but it's better by a large margin than both UCR and UCSD (from what I've read online).

UCSD (Ranked #15, MS has an acceptence rate of 7.5%) - UCSD is a top tier university and the most reputable out of the three programs I have been accepted to. On top of that, they're on the beach and have beautiful weather! The one thing that's making me doubt UCSD is that it's a commuter college so it's dead the weekends (there seems to be a consensus on this). The social life also seems to be lacking which is another thing that I value which it does not have.

I would love some opinions of what you guys have to think. Does UCSD prestige weigh that much more than USC and UCR? I know it ultimately depends on my own skills, but I wish to have every advantage I can have for when I enter industry.

I only been to one of these schools (UCSD alumni) and would encourage to ignore the social stuff. It's your Masters you will be really really busy. Plus everyone I know we was involved at school had an active social life it was the people who expect a social life to come to them that had problems. There is no Greek housing and no D1 sports team, but you have a normal adult social life. You meet friends you go out with them around town (the town is nice, but it's different then LA in both some good and bad ways). It's really not a big deal since once again you will be busy, most graduate students I talked to while there hung out in the pub or other places that sold alcohol (there are about 5 or 6 on campus) because there isn't much time to do a lot of events/partying.

One more thing, if you think the people at anyone program kind of suck then I would consider that strongly, you'll have to spend a lot of time with them so that matters, how much will depend on your personality.

So just go where you think you'd have the best academic experience (keeping money in mind)  just my opinion. 

Edited by mbfox125
One more thnig

Judging from your points, it's definitely between UCR and UCSD. I don't really know what social life you are looking to have, but graduate experience is very different than undergrad. Since UCR is funded, I would consider UCR. You might want to continue and get your PhD after a year, you never know!

Don't go to USC. It's in an awful area, there's 0 chance of getting any funding, and it's more of an immigration program than a CS program (at the Master's level). Their algorithms class has like 500 people. This screams weedout.

Social life? You think you're going to be hanging out and partying with the undergrads? You make your own social life.

Go to UCSD if you want master's, UCR if you want PhD.

• 1 year later...

I'd go UCSD for sure, not only prestige but a great program. Riverside is not anywhere near as enjoyable a place to live and work as San Diego, totally different party scene too if you are into that. USC costs a fortune, and honestly, to me, maybe cause I go to UC Irvine, I have more respect for the UC system than private institutions. That said, I know little about the program so I'd listen most to those who have attended these programs or know more about them specifically.

Edited by BackNSchool83