NYU 2016

21 hours ago, slp2be1345 said:

Hey everyone! I got accepted into NYU a few weeks ago too! I'm super excited! Has anyone made a Facebook page for Accepted Students? 

That would be great if someone could create one! 

On 3/17/2016 at 5:03 PM, slp2be1345 said:

Hey everyone! I got accepted into NYU a few weeks ago too! I'm super excited! Has anyone made a Facebook page for Accepted Students? 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231482557201456/

I created a facebook group just to make this a bit easier for everyone :)

Has everyone committed to NYU? I'm most likely going to attend but want to wait for the response for one more school, if I continue to wait is there a chance that although I am accepted all slots will be taken? I've heard about getting "locked out" is that really a thing?

On 3/22/2016 at 5:52 PM, Curlylets said:

Has everyone committed to NYU? I'm most likely going to attend but want to wait for the response for one more school, if I continue to wait is there a chance that although I am accepted all slots will be taken? I've heard about getting "locked out" is that really a thing?

I don't think the slots will be taken. I feel like they would have mentioned that in the email! 

14 hours ago, slp2be1345 said:

I'm 98% sure I'm going to be committing to NYU! I've heard some fantastic things about the program. Is anyone else leaning towards NYU?

Hi @slp2be1345 just curious what fantastic things you've heard about the program? I am considering this school but actually have heard not the best things and would love to hear positive things people have to share! 

9 hours ago, rose6593 said:

Hi @slp2be1345 just curious what fantastic things you've heard about the program? I am considering this school but actually have heard not the best things and would love to hear positive things people have to share! 

I know of someone who visited the program this past fall-they said the professors were friendly and knowledgable. The program was very organized and put together with the whole clinical practicuum sequence and there was a close knit group of students. 

18 hours ago, rose6593 said:

What are the negative things that you've heard? I haven't really heard much about nyu either 

On 3/25/2016 at 7:04 AM, orange23 said:

What are the negative things that you've heard? I haven't really heard much about nyu either 

I have just read various reviews, and past threads on gradcafe that commented on the disorganization of the program. Also that the program as a whole takes a lot longer than most programs and ends up costing a lot more, on top of the fact that it is already an incredibly expensive program. 

50 minutes ago, rose6593 said:

I have just read various reviews, and past threads on gradcafe that commented on the disorganization of the program. Also that the program as a whole takes a lot longer than most programs and ends up costing a lot more, on top of the fact that it is already an incredibly expensive program. 

You actually pay by the credit! At first I thought it would be more compared to some other programs, but I did the math and its about the same. I think the program takes longer if you choose to do the Sweden abroad but thats optional. 

On 3/26/2016 at 6:24 PM, orange23 said:

I thought most programs pay by the credit? By looking at my financial package it looked like it'd be like 75k a year 

You received a financial aid package already? has anyone else heard about funding?

30 minutes ago, Curlylets said:

You received a financial aid package already? has anyone else heard about funding?

I also received my scholarship/aid package. 

On March 26, 2016 at 5:26 PM, rose6593 said:

When were those bad reviews from? I've heard the program has improved drastically in the past 3-5 years, and also heard exactly like the other person wrote above (great profs, strong clinic sequence, tight-knit students). Is it differing opinions or is the negative stuff outdated??

10 hours ago, Slp2b93 said:

When were those bad reviews from? I've heard the program has improved drastically in the past 3-5 years, and also heard exactly like the other person wrote above (great profs, strong clinic sequence, tight-knit students). Is it differing opinions or is the negative stuff outdated??

I'm sure the negative stuff was a couple of years ago, they seem like they have tried to revamp the program. Just things I read! Not trying to sway anyone's opinion, I also am trying to sort it all out! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2016 at 4:53 PM, OverCaffeinated said:

guys, can someone give me the tuition calculations? thanks

48 credits at 1,538/credit. They said at the open house that the average CSD background student completes the program in 5-7 semesters. So keep in mind if you're living in NYC for up to 7 semesters the cost of living may be more expensive, even though the tuition itself isn't. 

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:25 PM, rose6593 said:

48 credits at 1,538/credit. They said at the open house that the average CSD background student completes the program in 5-7 semesters. So keep in mind if you're living in NYC for up to 7 semesters the cost of living may be more expensive, even though the tuition itself isn't. 

gotcha thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I just got an email about an online program NYU has (is just starting this year?), called Speech@NYU. You can read more about it here. It might be cheaper. Also, NYU claims that "Speech@NYU’s online courses are unlike those of any other online communicative sciences and disorders programs", which is kind of a tall order, but hey, maybe it's true.

https://speech.steinhardt.nyu.edu/about/faq/