NYU 2016

Hi Everyone,

I was just accepted to NYU, which I am shocked by! I applied to this program mostly dreaming about living in New York, but never really thought it would become a reality! I was just hoping to start a thread where people could share more about this program. I honestly don't know much about the program, so anything that anyone has to share would be most appreciated! I am especially concerned about the cost of tuition/living. I didn't see anything about an accepted student open house, I'm not sure if that will come later, but I would love to learn as much as I can about the program before having to make a decision!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, rose6593 said:

Hi Everyone,

I was just accepted to NYU, which I am shocked by! I applied to this program mostly dreaming about living in New York, but never really thought it would become a reality! I was just hoping to start a thread where people could share more about this program. I honestly don't know much about the program, so anything that anyone has to share would be most appreciated! I am especially concerned about the cost of tuition/living. I didn't see anything about an accepted student open house, I'm not sure if that will come later, but I would love to learn as much as I can about the program before having to make a decision!

Thanks!

Congratulations! I just got my acceptance email too! :) I am also very concerned about cost of living. I plan to call tomorrow to ask about both funding (to see if there is a separate email that will come) as well as the Accepted Students Day or when we could visit.

Congrats to all accepted! 

I can tell you a little bit about NYU, mostly gleaned from past year's comments and spending most of my life in this area. There was an "Open House" in the fall that I was wait-listed for attending, which indicates that NYU and I have slightly different ideas about the meaning of that phrase. :) 

NYU is a massive educational institution, both in physical size and in number of students. Its greatest strengths are its professional programs– business, theater, law, and education, for instance. Based on its ranking in US News etc., I suspect the SLP program is excellent too. I also get the impression that it has terrific facilities, but I haven't seen them yet. Though my primary focus at the moment is language/literacy (pretty ubiquitous), I'm also really interested in working on transgender voice support. I only know of one or two other programs with that option.

The cost is a pretty serious consideration. Someone mentioned that NYU gave out awards of about $8K last year. It's not nothing, but it's not a whole lot against $34K either. The cost of living in New York can be brutal too, but there are affordable options. It's not an easy place to live without time and money, though, so if you come here for grad school, you should think about staying for a few years. New York is a terrific city when you do have time and money, and it would be a shame not to enjoy it.

2 hours ago, copaceticbroad said:

I can tell you a little bit about NYU, mostly gleaned from past year's comments and spending most of my life in this area. There was an "Open House" in the fall that I was wait-listed for attending, which indicates that NYU and I have slightly different ideas about the meaning of that phrase. :) 

NYU is a massive educational institution, both in physical size and in number of students. Its greatest strengths are its professional programs– business, theater, law, and education, for instance. Based on its ranking in US News etc., I suspect the SLP program is excellent too. I also get the impression that it has terrific facilities, but I haven't seen them yet. Though my primary focus at the moment is language/literacy (pretty ubiquitous), I'm also really interested in working on transgender voice support. I only know of one or two other programs with that option.

The cost is a pretty serious consideration. Someone mentioned that NYU gave out awards of about $8K last year. It's not nothing, but it's not a whole lot against $34K either. The cost of living in New York can be brutal too, but there are affordable options. It's not an easy place to live without time and money, though, so if you come here for grad school, you should think about staying for a few years. New York is a terrific city when you do have time and money, and it would be a shame not to enjoy it.

Thanks that's good to know! Living there would be such an awesome experience wish it wasn't so expensive :(

I'm also kinda confused about how fasfa works in terms of grad school.../does anyone know when we'll find out about awards?

Edited by nat22

16 hours ago, nat22 said:

Thanks that's good to know! Living there would be such an awesome experience wish it wasn't so expensive :(

I'm also kinda confused about how fasfa works in terms of grad school.../does anyone know when we'll find out about awards?

My acceptance email from NYU said we would receive financial aid packages by the end of March, as long as you completed FAFSA by February 1st!

Hi! I was also accepted into NYU last night, I'm beyond excited! There are still a lot of logistical things to work out before I can commit. I'm going to call tomorrow to find out about when my funding will come. My email said I had to make my decision within the next three weeks. If funding doesn't come until the end of March (after 3 weeks) then I'm not sure if I'll be able to commit by the date they want.  

Its unfortunate that they don't have an accepted students open house. I'll be in the area on Friday and am considering asking if I can stop in and have a tour (just for a refresher), or if I can at least be put in contact with a graduate student to ask some questions. 

I was an undergraduate student in the CSD program at NYU for a bit before I transferred due to financial circumstances. The facilities are very nice and the professors I had in the program were excellent. I enjoyed being in the city and would love to be able to go back if my financial package works out! 

14 minutes ago, buzzbuzz11 said:

Hi! I was also accepted into NYU last night, I'm beyond excited! There are still a lot of logistical things to work out before I can commit. I'm going to call tomorrow to find out about when my funding will come. My email said I had to make my decision within the next three weeks. If funding doesn't come until the end of March (after 3 weeks) then I'm not sure if I'll be able to commit by the date they want.  

Its unfortunate that they don't have an accepted students open house. I'll be in the area on Friday and am considering asking if I can stop in and have a tour (just for a refresher), or if I can at least be put in contact with a graduate student to ask some questions. 

I was an undergraduate student in the CSD program at NYU for a bit before I transferred due to financial circumstances. The facilities are very nice and the professors I had in the program were excellent. I enjoyed being in the city and would love to be able to go back if my financial package works out! 

I believe that we have until April 15th, or 3 weeks after you received the acceptance, whichever come later it says! Assuming yours says the same as mine, you won't have to make a decision quite as quickly!

It's great to know they have good facilities and excellent teachers though. I am definetly considering going there now if the financial package works out as well. Definitely wish they had an open house, but also plan to visit before making an official decision. 

7 hours ago, Curlylets said:

I also received my acceptance from NYU on Sunday and was beyond elated.  Anyone know if you completed fafsa after Feb. 1 what happens?

I believe that if you completed FAFSA by their Feb 1 deadline, you will receive a financial aid package by the end of March. 

On 3/1/2016 at 9:43 PM, Curlylets said:

I also received my acceptance from NYU on Sunday and was beyond elated.  Anyone know if you completed fafsa after Feb. 1 what happens?

I'm in the same boat- I finally got all the tax papers ready and turned in my FAFSA on February 2nd :/

1 minute ago, limegreen19 said:

Congrats to everybody! Just wanted to know, who's going to the accepted students day?

I'm confused about this students day! It says April 1st 9:30-11:30 PM? Does that mean it's all in the evening???

Yeah I was actually wondering the same thing! I would assume so.. And it wouldn't be too odd of a time if that's when grad students are free. But the best thing would be to clarify with the department. I'm gonna call/email to confirm.

EDIT: I just called & the lady who picked up said she would find out and get back to me. She sounded confused as well, so it might have been a typo.

Edited by limegreen19
update

9 hours ago, Marissa27 said:

I'm confused about this students day! It says April 1st 9:30-11:30 PM? Does that mean it's all in the evening???

I wish it were in the evening– I can't take April 1st off from work, so I can't go. :( Admittedly, a Friday night open house sounds like a terrible plan, but it would have been more convenient for me. I guess I'll email Embry and ask if I can visit the facilities at another time? (like, maybe around 4:30 on the same day?)

Is anybody planning to go to the open house on April 1st? I received the correction email stating it was AM not PM, and it also mentioned that we would be receiving a formal invitation with RSVP shortly, however I never received that yesterday afternoon. Did anyone else get it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if you can go and visit the campus/get a tour a different day if you cannot make the open house? I have classes 8am-1pm and I go to school in Rhode Island so it would be pretty hard to get there. Anyone in the same boat?

How many of you have a background in something other than CSD? I was accepted as well and would love to attend NYU but not if I have to spend 4 years taking prereqs (I havent completed any prereqs) and eventually grad level courses. This just means more tuition at an expensive school in an expensive city! I also got into the University of Washington's post bacc program so I wouldn't mind going there either but I'm dreading reapplying to grad schools all over again and risking not getting in anywhere. 

Anyone know the average number of semesters or years it takes for non-CSD students to complete everything? Thanks!!