Deadlines - submitting on/close to a problem?

Fallapplicant77

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has insight on submitting in advance of deadlines (say 1-2 wks early) vs. submitting just few days before... Does it have no significance whatsoever, such that if the extra time will be useful, one should take it? Or would it be advisable to submit earlier -- is there a 'last minute' stigma or potential for other problems in submitting very close to a deadline..

Thanks!

I would be very surprised if there was any "last minute stigma", but it's probably a good way to ensure that all your materials are in. I don't anticipate turning anything until the day before the deadline, I am running late..

Do everything you can to make sure you postmark things on time, but know that 99% of all offices that handle admissions know that there is a grace period of literally a month to tie loose ends together. If something is late, be ready to kiss up to the person answering the phones at the department. They can really save you in a pinch.

I've heard (from one particular program) they wait until the deadline to look at anything so it really doesn't matter when you submit, as long as it's before the deadline. On the other hand, I've heard of websites getting overloaded with users on the day of/hours before the deadlines...

A program I'm applying to in Uni of Oregon in Eugene specifcally state that alle materials should arrive at their department on deadlin (dec 1st) and not just postmarked. This makes me anxious, since I had everything sent yesterday (!). And this is my safety school - the one I HAVE to get into !

How long does the GRE / TOEFL take to arrive in the schools ?

Last week, I called the Michigan Sociology dept to ask about a discrepancy between the stated page limit for the personal statement on the dept. instructions website and the Embark website. While the answer doesn't matter, what caught my attention is that the person I spoke to said that the applications they had read so far were of a certain length. The Michigan deadline is Dec. 15, and they are already reading apps......

That makes me wonder if perhaps for some schools it is a good idea to submit early.

Last week, I called the Michigan Sociology dept to ask about a discrepancy between the stated page limit for the personal statement on the dept. instructions website and the Embark website. While the answer doesn't matter, what caught my attention is that the person I spoke to said that the applications they had read so far were of a certain length. The Michigan deadline is Dec. 15, and they are already reading apps......

That makes me wonder if perhaps for some schools it is a good idea to submit early.

who did you talk to at the department? someone from the front desk or on the administrative side of assembling applications?

i highly doubt applications are being reviewed now. anyone assembling applications for the admissions committee to review would also know the average length.

i'm more concerned that the UM-wolverine visual of my application is messed up in ways i cannot control, and the graduate admissions center isn't that helpful reconciling the issues.

who did you talk to at the department? someone from the front desk or on the administrative side of assembling applications?

i highly doubt applications are being reviewed now. anyone assembling applications for the admissions committee to review would also know the average length.

i'm more concerned that the UM-wolverine visual of my application is messed up in ways i cannot control, and the graduate admissions center isn't that helpful reconciling the issues.

I spoke to Jeannie Loughry, grad program coordinator.

• 3 weeks later...

A program I'm applying to in Uni of Oregon in Eugene specifcally state that alle materials should arrive at their department on deadlin (dec 1st) and not just postmarked. This makes me anxious, since I had everything sent yesterday (!). And this is my safety school - the one I HAVE to get into !

How long does the GRE / TOEFL take to arrive in the schools ?

Regarding GRE's: I think they say it takes them 5 business days to send the scores...so, presumably, they would arrive 8-10 days after you call/submit the online request

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has insight on submitting in advance of deadlines (say 1-2 wks early) vs. submitting just few days before... Does it have no significance whatsoever, such that if the extra time will be useful, one should take it? Or would it be advisable to submit earlier -- is there a 'last minute' stigma or potential for other problems in submitting very close to a deadline..

Thanks!

As previous posters mentioned, definitely make sure your materials will be received by the department before the deadline (overnight 'em if you have to!). As for submitting materials online, it makes no difference if you send it one month before or the final day its due unless your program uses rolling admission