John Hopkins Masters - unfunded

_kita

Hi guys, so I was offered a one-year masters program that would line me up for a PhD I would love to attend. It is a PhD Mental Health at John Hopkins University. They take about 50% of their applicant pool from that program into the PhD. And, even with just that masters, I'd be lined up better for research and policy jobs in comparison to counseling only. 

One major downside is... funding. Since I am only admitted into their unfunded masters currently, I need to figure out how to get scholarships, loans, etc., to make this a possibility. I live in Philadelphia, have M.A. in Counseling and have 5+ years working with mental health. Any input or advice would be helpful.

12 minutes ago, _kita said:

Hi guys, so I was offered a one-year masters program that would line me up for a PhD I would love to attend. It is a PhD Mental Health at John Hopkins University. They take about 50% of their applicant pool from that program into the PhD. And, even with just that masters, I'd be lined up better for research and policy jobs in comparison to counseling only. 

One major downside is... funding. Since I am only admitted into their unfunded masters currently, I need to figure out how to get scholarships, loans, etc., to make this a possibility. I live in Philadelphia, have M.A. in Counseling and have 5+ years working with mental health. Any input or advice would be helpful.

How much would you go into debt to self-fund for one year, if you don't mind sharing?

I know people are fairly self-funding adverse, but if I did do it, it'd definitely only be for a one year program. I can only speak for myself, and I know nothing about your discipline, but if it improves your career outcomes, even with only a possibility of leading into a PhD program, I'd probably do it. 

Do you know if the program is of high enough regard that it'd help you get into other PhD programs? That might be something else to consider.

50 minutes ago, Neist said:

How much would you go into debt to self-fund for one year, if you don't mind sharing?

I know people are fairly self-funding adverse, but if I did do it, it'd definitely only be for a one year program. I can only speak for myself, and I know nothing about your discipline, but if it improves your career outcomes, even with only a possibility of leading into a PhD program, I'd probably do it. 

Do you know if the program is of high enough regard that it'd help you get into other PhD programs? That might be something else to consider.

The program is $48k. I'm luckily in a civil service career, so honestly, I'm looking at loan forgiveness programs. Every position I've had thus far has been at a non-for profit institution or state college.

John Hopkins is the only college with this exact PhD program. It is honestly the program that made me reconsider avenues outside psychology (public health/social welfare). It is a Mental Health PhD in a public health college. Their public health college is in high regards, and  honestly, I think I would only apply to their PhD out of the MHA anyways. It seems like a waste to keep applying to other programs in Social Welfare simply because it's similar when I could do the professional work without it (after getting the MHA).

30 minutes ago, _kita said:

The program is $48k. I'm luckily in a civil service career, so honestly, I'm looking at loan forgiveness programs. Every position I've had thus far has been at a non-for profit institution or state college.

John Hopkins is the only college with this exact PhD program. It is honestly the program that made me reconsider avenues outside psychology (public health/social welfare). It is a Mental Health PhD in a public health college. Their public health college is in high regards, and  honestly, I think I would only apply to their PhD out of the MHA anyways. It seems like a waste to keep applying to other programs in Social Welfare simply because it's similar when I could do the professional work without it (after getting the MHA).

If I was in your situation, I'd do it, especially if it's pretty much the only place that has such a program. :) It sounds like it's a place where your passions can be nurtured. I have some specific, esoteric interests, and I'd readily consider programs that best fit my interests if they allowed me to continue my studies, even if I went into slight debt. Academia tends to create echo chambers, and we really do need more people who conduct research outside of norms.

I'm pining for loan forgiveness, too. I'll early teach or work in libraries (I've worked in academic libraries for over a decade). I doubt I'll ever make enough to pay off the loan before the 10 years is up.

Edited by Neist

7 minutes ago, Neist said:

If I was in your situation, I'd do it, especially if it's pretty much the only place that has such a program. :) It sounds like it's a place where your passions can be nurtured. I have some specific, esoteric interests, and I'd readily consider programs that best fit my interests if they allowed me to continue my studies, even if I went into slight debt. Academia tends to create echo chambers, and we really do need more people who conduct research outside of norms.

I'm pining for loan forgiveness, too. I'll early teach or work in libraries (I've worked in academic libraries for over a decade). I doubt I'll ever make enough to pay off the loan before the 10 years is up.

Thanks! I'm honestly feeling better about the program the more I look at it. Still leaves me with the question of where to find funding though! I've only ever done federal and that will cover about 1/2 the cost. 

Just now, _kita said:

Thanks! I'm honestly feeling better about the program the more I look at it. Still leaves me with the question of where to find funding though! I've only ever done federal and that will cover about 1/2 the cost. 

Stafford loans would only cover about the cost, but you'd have access to federal graduate PLUS loans. They aren't as flexible as Stafford loans, but they are far, far more flexible than private loans. If memory serves, I think there's some repayment plans that PLUS loans don't qualify for. You might want to check into it, at any rate.