What does my professor mean

In my qualitative research proposal for a class, I had included lit reviews of different themes which I wanted to compare my data results with. I double checked with my professor about this, who replied: "It depends on whether the topics relate to your study. You also need to show in an appropriate way how your study will add to the literature. A reminder: you should not approach the data with pre-established themes". What does this mean? I could not find any lit reviews about my topic, unless it already has some theme.

This is too general to be answerable. You need to give a field of study. 

Additionally, I'm not sure what this has to do with applications. Is this a proposal for a grant application or grad school applications?

If this is work for a graduate course, it should go in the "coursework" section. If this is work for a graduate research project, it should go in the "research" section. 

If this is work for an undergraduate class, it doesn't really belong here. 

Moved to the appropriate section. 

You still didn't answer the other questions (field of study). Your question is too general to be answerable.

Given the vague nature of the question a guess: the professor is telling you not to come with preconceived assumptions about what the study is going to show. So, crucially, "you should not approach the data with pre-established themes." This doesn't mean that published works don't come with their own theoretical bent and interpretation (I'm actually not entirely sure what you mean by a "theme"), of course they do. 

Thank you for your reply. I'm still confused about what the prof said. What articles should I find then if I can't make assumptions about what the study is going to show? Do I find something more broad?

Edited by undergrad_2015

The goal of any research is to test some hypothesis about something (vague, given the vague nature of this entire conversation). If you're going to decide what the findings are before you do the study, what's the point of doing it in the first place? 

1 hour ago, undergrad_2015 said:

Education. There is also no current research done on my topic.

In this day and age, that seems highly unlikely, but if true, I assume you mean this in the narrowest sense. You can probably find articles asking similar questions, testing a similar population, etc. Those are papers to discuss in a lit review, as well as any theory papers that helped shape the hypothesis you are testing. 

This is a great paper on thematic analysis (it is valid for disciplines outside of psychology): Braun, V., & Clarke, V. (2006). Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in  Psychology, 3, 77‐101.  

You can do thematic analysis with pre-decided themes (based on literature or a theoretical framework), or the themes can come from the data itself.  Obviously, your prof wants the latter.  

Thank you RunnerGrad!

Another question - how does one write a salient paper? Is there a specific format? My professor's instruction: "you will chosoe two sets of class readings from the weekly schedule. Begin by describing the issue. There are a number of perspectives you want to consider, such as connecting the issue to research, connecting the issue to practice, or choosing to critique the author's position on the issue. You are expected to integrate your issue with other course readings and/or research. Do not write a summary of the article"

Edited by undergrad_2015

Thank you! Does it mean, for example, if two articles discuss about how children are not capable of sharing ideas in the research process, then I should argue why other research says otherwise? (My program supports children as capable and knowledgeable beings)

Edited by undergrad_2015

On 3/2/2016 at 10:18 PM, undergrad_2015 said:

Thank you for your reply. I'm still confused about what the prof said. What articles should I find then if I can't make assumptions about what the study is going to show? Do I find something more broad?

You should make an appointment with the professor and ask for this help specifically. You must read widely in your field, including the bibliography that is used by others who are writing. Of course you can't make assumptions about what a study will show. That's why you do a study: to find out what it will show. You will get more information if you post this in a thread that relates to your field and to the kind of work you are attempting.