Skowhegan 2016

Gato04

I got into skowhegan... I am very surprised. It was my third year applying... And neither year did I receive that little note saying I made it to the final round.

so just fyi for ppl that are frustrated or feeling discouraged:
I got rejected from every residency I applied to in 2014 and 2015, including all my top MFA choices.
and this year I got into skowhegan and another quite competitive residency

so I guess you just have to keep applying
and keep working hard.
good luck to everyone here.
we are all lucky to have the time, resources and imagination to make art and no matter where we do it it is a privilege.

3 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

@cpw0021, since I know you applied to Elsewhere are were also waiting on hearing back from them, I got notified that I was waitlisted on Sunday. Hoping that you had better luck!

I was waitlisted too.

congrats @mlk!

On April 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM, mlk said:

I got into skowhegan... I am very surprised. It was my third year applying... And neither year did I receive that little note saying I made it to the final round.

so just fyi for ppl that are frustrated or feeling discouraged:
I got rejected from every residency I applied to in 2014 and 2015, including all my top MFA choices.
and this year I got into skowhegan and another quite competitive residency

so I guess you just have to keep applying
and keep working hard.
good luck to everyone here.
we are all lucky to have the time, resources and imagination to make art and no matter where we do it it is a privilege.

Yay congratulations!! Very wise and concise vices.

The artist I work for told me that it took her 4 times to apply before she got in (even after doing the whitney ISP). I didn't get in this year, or last, didn't get a notice saying I made it to the final round and before I got back on the forums was feeling really discouraged. (you're post helped) 

I'm thinking next year I would love to get people's feedback on the forums for the portfolio. I was really proud of the work I submitted, but in hindsight I feel like the documentation potentially could have thrown off the rhythm . It's hard working in small spaces, and is my own self-conscious anxiety submitting work that isn't documented in a space that resembles a gallery. 

honestly, it seems very random. everyone else I know got rejected. A friend of mine who was waitlisted last year was rejected outright this year. Another friend who got the Sharpe Walentas studio space and the LMCC residency (two SUPER competitive NYC based programs) was waitlisted and i would be the first person to say he is a better artist than I am. I have been rejected from every single issue of New American Paintings and the two ppl who got in to the last one both got rejected from Skowhegan. I was really surprised. So there's really no logic to it. The judges change every year and I think it has to do with the faculty's tastes. And frankly if something is that random it can't be used as a metric for artistic worth. So keep on applying but also don't fixate on the documentation or the details. Always be moving forward!

• 7 months later...