MFA without appropriate BFA?

dancedementia

I've heard it very often said that in order to get an MFA in a performing arts field (in my case, I'm interested in Dance), you need to have a BFA or at least a BA in the subject. I don't have either - I chose to get a "useful" business degree instead. But I do have years of performing with a small dance company, studio teaching experience, arts admin experience, etc. Is that experience worth anything? Or am I SOL on the MFA front without appropriate bachelor's credentials?

Hi!

I'd suggest talking with a few programs you might be interested in. Many programs claim to need a BFA in, say, theater, dance, or art... but if they show talent and have the experience, they'll consider you just the same. The art school I went to accepted all sorts of folks for their MFA program (lawyers, former actors, engineers, etc), and they weren't no slouch in the fine arts school department. 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions, a few of my friends did what you are talking about and got their MFAs just fine :)