Gap year between undergrad and grad school?

jamiehwang

Question

I graduated a semester early with a  3.7 in International Relations (minor in East Asian Languages and Cultures), but now I face an awkward gap year before I can apply to go for my MPP in Fall 2017. 

Every summer/break of my undergrad career, I was always either working part time or had some kind of internship going on in the background. I just finished working on a conference as a temp job, and am currently working part-time as a managing teacher at a learning center.

My question is: are grad schools going to be critical of my choice to work part-time rather than pursuing a public policy related internship? Should I be spending this gap year on another internship/fellowship, or is it okay to take a break from academia, focus on taking the GRE, and trying to save up a bit of money? 

I've never taken a break before, so any suggestions about what to do with myself for the next year or so would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

4 answers to this question

I had a gap year this last year... because I got rejected last year and had to apply again. 

I was accepted this time for a PhD and my gap year didn't seem to have a negative effect at all... and I wasn't working either. 

Instead I volunteered. There are likely lots of volunteer options in a city near you, as long as you don't live in the middle of nowhere. If there are any museums nearby.they very often take volunteer docents. If there is an REI or similar store near you, they often put together eco-volunteer stuff, like planting trees and things. I worked on myself... my art, music, etc. 

I studied. I went back through things that I struggled with in undergrad and started re-learning them. I also bought some new textbooks that further delve into what I want to research in grad school. It certainly helped me when I went and talked with my POI. 

I traveled. I hiked the grand canyon, went reef fishing, am going to key largo next week, and am going to hike over the salkantay pass into machu picchu in may. 

All of this showed through on my application in one way or another. And more importantly... it was really good for me as a person to have some time to rediscover my interests and relearn some things. Burn-out is a huge problem throughout college careers... both undergrad and graduate. 

Hi!
I had basically the same situation - my masters program (in public policy, actually) finished in July so I am still mid-gap  year before I start my new PhD program in Fall.

I found that this break in my studies wasn't something that seemed to bother any of the admissions committees I've been dealing with.

In this time, I've been working full time (allowing me to pay off a bit of the debt I have from undergrad) and also took a part time position teaching standardized testing classes. While I have very strong research background, I had NO teaching experience and I thought this would help me round out my skillset a bit while simultaneously helping me master the GRE!

Thinking about what skills you are maybe lacking a bit in terms of what admissions committees might be looking for is, I think, a great place to start.

Like others I took a year out between my undergraduate and starting my masters. I travelled, gained some office experience (surprisingly helpful in academia), did some research but was kind to myself and gave myself time to recharge. It can be very challenging to go straight through and sometimes I think taking a break actually prepares you better for grad school. Get some life in you! 

To re-iterate - it's not going to hinder your chances. Many programs in fact prefer people who haven't gone straight through, who've experienced a bit of life and have more to offer than just excellent academics. When I applied to PhD programs (considering I'd taken a year between high school and college, and another year between finishing my bachelors and starting my masters) I was told that a main concern was my age being too young! So go for it and make the most of your time. Find things that excite you, refine your interests, brush up on stuff you're not too sure on, relax and experience the world a bit :)