SAIS or FLETCHER

ASHEN910

First, congratulations to all those who got accepted!

I am struggling to choose from SAIS AND Fletcher. I got into MA at SAIS, and MALD at Fletcher. My program at Fletcher is "Map Your Future" which will not start until Fall 2018. Good thing is, Fletcher is giving me money. On the other hand, I forgot to submit my financial aid form to SAIS... So... No AID.

I know both programs are really really good in IR field, and I just simply have a hard to choose. Since I am an international student, I have to think about H1B sponsorship after graduation. Anyone can give me any suggestions about these two schools regarding job market?

Thank you so much! And Congratsssss!

Congratulations on your decision!

I also got into SAIS and am leaning towards picking it... but go with the money and the work experience. You will be so much better for having the work experience under your belt, you might be able to save some money, and you're getting some scholarship as you said from Fletcher.

I don't think the schools have that much difference in terms of job placement.. Basically all schools will try to tell you they have 90+% employment, and it seems the employers vary based on where the school is located. But what I can tell you is that future employers will value your work experience almost as much if not more than your MA. So that's another point towards Fletcher.

I'm a big advocate for not going to grad school right from undergrad (in fact I turned down law school and completely changed career paths because I found something I'd much rather do). Go work and get some cool experience under your belt! Then go to Fletcher.

Also deciding between Fletcher and SAIS (DC).  I have about 3-4 years' work experience.  About the same $$$ offered at both ($20k/year at Fletcher, $22.5k/year at SAIS).  Will go to both the Open Houses and check them out in person - only so much you can glean from the website.  I'm interested in international development, which seems to be strong at both schools.  A little anxious about all the econ at SAIS, but I think it's a good opportunity to gain some quant skills - really avoided quantitative courses in undergrad, which I somewhat regret.  If anyone has any insight on their respective advantages/disadvantages, I would appreciate it!

On 3/10/2016 at 4:47 PM, ASHEN910 said:

First, congratulations to all those who got accepted!

I am struggling to choose from SAIS AND Fletcher. I got into MA at SAIS, and MALD at Fletcher. My program at Fletcher is "Map Your Future" which will not start until Fall 2018. Good thing is, Fletcher is giving me money. On the other hand, I forgot to submit my financial aid form to SAIS... So... No AID.

I know both programs are really really good in IR field, and I just simply have a hard to choose. Since I am an international student, I have to think about H1B sponsorship after graduation. Anyone can give me any suggestions about these two schools regarding job market?

Thank you so much! And Congratsssss!

Hi Ashen910! Congratulations and I'm also in the same boat: Fletcher MALD and MA at SAIS. I was wondering, how you know that Fletcher is giving you money? They told me it's not possible to inquire about financial aid until the year before I matriculate. Ahh but it is such a tough decision! 

27 minutes ago, jpfreeman said:

I was wondering, how you know that Fletcher is giving you money?

Fletcher gives an automatic scholarship for all MYF admits, with the minimum award being $10,000. Additional awards are given out during the year of entry. http://fletcher.tufts.edu/Admissions/Apply-to-Fletcher/Map-Your-Future#Scholarships

Edited by AAAAAAAA

6 hours ago, AAAAAAAA said:

Fletcher gives an automatic scholarship for all MYF admits, with the minimum award being $10,000. Additional awards are given out during the year of entry. http://fletcher.tufts.edu/Admissions/Apply-to-Fletcher/Map-Your-Future#Scholarships

Ahh thanks so much for the link and the info! Much appreciated!

• 7 months later...

Hi, Ashen910, I am planning to apply MYF program in Fletcher, I saw that you've got accepted.Could you give me an advice that will be useful for my application. Thank You

As a graduate of what is now known as the HBS 2+2 program (and a professional on the advising side of admissions), I highly recommend you opt for Fletcher's Map Your Future program as well. Every $10,000 in aid you can get will offset approximately $100/month in student loan repayments over a 10-year repayment period. Like @went_away said, you'll also benefit from having work experience as well, so it's almost like a multiplier effect.