UChicago CIR vs George Washington Elliott Vs Georgetown MSFS

JohnMason

Hi. First congratulations to everyone who's admitted.

I am trying to decide among UChicago CIR vs George Washington Elliott Vs Georgetown MSFS.

I like Uchicago and professor there. But it is a one year degree, feels a bit short. I also like Elliott faculty. 

I would do an International Relations MA. Possibly a PhD. Afterwards focusing on traditional security issue or East Asia regional affairs.

Any advice?

I think it really depends on what you're looking for, and your goals afterwards. Are you looking to be an academic or a practitioner? UC or SFS are stronger programs than GW. I'm partial to being in DC, but Chicago is a great town with an equally strong program. 

From your post, it seems as if you've already heard from MSFS? Would you mind sharing when you received notification- you're the first person I've seen indicate they've heard from them.

4 hours ago, MFP413 said:

I think it really depends on what you're looking for, and your goals afterwards. Are you looking to be an academic or a practitioner? UC or SFS are stronger programs than GW. I'm partial to being in DC, but Chicago is a great town with an equally strong program. 

From your post, it seems as if you've already heard from MSFS? Would you mind sharing when you received notification- you're the first person I've seen indicate they've heard from them.

Hi, thanks for your reply. i have not heard from GU, only UChicago and GWU. I am contemplating the plan afterwards. I intend to undertake  a PhD after MA. one of my concern with Chicago is that the city does not have opportunity to work and intern in the year between my MA and PhD. As far as i know, the only think tank in the area is the Chicago council on international affairs? 

I think it depends on what you'd like to do with that year in between, and if a think tank is the only option your interested in. If it's research you're after, UC has plenty of opportunities- as does the private sector, and perhaps non-profits as well. 

What specifically in transnational security are you interested in? Even if your goal is academic focused, doing a year in the private sector in a research-based position can be helpful both strategically and financially. It gives you an opportunity to see how security research impacts life outside of NGOs and government. Plus the higher pay can help in offsetting the total cost of a PhD!

On 3/14/2016 at 5:19 AM, MFP413 said:

I think it depends on what you'd like to do with that year in between, and if a think tank is the only option your interested in. If it's research you're after, UC has plenty of opportunities- as does the private sector, and perhaps non-profits as well. 

What specifically in transnational security are you interested in? Even if your goal is academic focused, doing a year in the private sector in a research-based position can be helpful both strategically and financially. It gives you an opportunity to see how security research impacts life outside of NGOs and government. Plus the higher pay can help in offsetting the total cost of a PhD!

Thanks for your advice. I have been working on geopolitical issues in North Asia and the Pacific at think tanks. I am not so familiar with private sector jobs in the related area. So i would really appreciate your suggestions on what kind of position i should be looking for? at what kind of corporation. I would be great if you can give a few examples. I am definitely open to the idea of private sector jobs. Just a bit worry about whether they would accept graduates to work for a short period of time like one year?