Denton, TX

Lynne

I went UNT as an undergrad. It's a super tiny town--pretty boring, but rent (at least when I was there) isn't too expensive. Now there are a lot more apartments around campus so it shouldn't be hard to find inexpensive housing. I can't honestly remember how much I use to pay for rent, I think $500 a month (for an efficiency) at one apartment complex on Branard Street and $700 for a one bedroom at another (this was 6 years ago so...). There is really nothing to there, so you'll be driving to Dallas or Fort Worth if you want something interesting to do. When I left the uni was creating a bus service to those cities, I believe, so that's a plus. There's a nice pretty good shuttle service to take you around campus, as well. 

Yeah, it seems that almost every complex I have looked at has a bus stop that takes you to campus. I am between doing an efficiency and a one bedroom and I don't know how to make up my mind unless it comes down to budget.

On 3/21/2016 at 1:43 PM, Lynne said:

Yeah, it seems that almost every complex I have looked at has a bus stop that takes you to campus. I am between doing an efficiency and a one bedroom and I don't know how to make up my mind unless it comes down to budget.

I think do an one bedroom since they're fairly cheap (or at least they were), why not?

• 2 weeks later...

UNT alum here.  I (and other friends) have had the best luck finding cheap housing on craigslist.  Around this time of year, people will start posting apartments with leases ending May-August.  Check out Scott Brown, Jimmy Chang, and Place to Be properties.  Those companies own a lot of properties in Denton.

As far as things to do, Denton is constantly changing.  When I moved here four years ago, Fry St and the square looked entirely different than they do now.  There's always new bars and such popping up, and there are concerts every night (not an exaggeration).  It is a smaller town though.  The town definitely dies during school breaks and many businesses even have shortened summer and holiday hours.

I'll be living in Denton until the end of May so feel free to ask me any other questions you might have. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On April 6, 2016 at 4:13 PM, puyple said:

UNT alum here.  I (and other friends) have had the best luck finding cheap housing on craigslist.  Around this time of year, people will start posting apartments with leases ending May-August.  Check out Scott Brown, Jimmy Chang, and Place to Be properties.  Those companies own a lot of properties in Denton.

As far as things to do, Denton is constantly changing.  When I moved here four years ago, Fry St and the square looked entirely different than they do now.  There's always new bars and such popping up, and there are concerts every night (not an exaggeration).  It is a smaller town though.  The town definitely dies during school breaks and many businesses even have shortened summer and holiday hours.

I'll be living in Denton until the end of May so feel free to ask me any other questions you might have. :)

I have lived in a university town my entire life (University of Oklahoma) so I am quite use to the area dying down in the summer and during breaks.

Right now I am looking at a few places: The Oaks of Denton, Vintage Pads, Wolf Ridge, Shady Place, and Campus Walk. Have you heard anything about any of these places? I will definitely check out Craigslist, though, thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...

I currently live in Denton, finishing up my undergraduate at UNT this semester. I love living in Denton. It's small town, but very close to the metroplex and in terms of restaurants and music it can't be beat. If you're looking for nicer housikg, I agree about Scott Brown properties, very nice and usually close to campus. I lice across I35, and I'm about a 10 minute drive from campus and my rent is just south of $900 (two bedroom, two bath, I split with a roommate). If you want recommendations for apartments or restaurants you can private message me. Forewarning it is a bit dead during the summer, but it can be more affordable than a lot of college towns. Also if you time it well/don't mind moving a lot, you can always find dirt cheap subleases during the summer months. 

Also, I just visited OU a couple of months ago, and I found Norman to be very similar to Denton, you won't have a problem transitioning. 

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone. I am an international student and have been admitted to study PhD in Public Administration at UNT. As I am not familiar with the US lifestyle, could you please help me in answering some queries as below:

1) How much for renting an apartment for a married couple in Denton? (And can we live in other shared apartments, say, 2-3 bedrooms?)

2) If my wife want to work in the city (we will request for the J-type Visas), is it difficult to get a job there?

3) For those who once lived in Denton, any updates on transportation services and city development?

Thank you so much in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 1:57 AM, chaekwon said:

Hi everyone. I am an international student and have been admitted to study PhD in Public Administration at UNT. As I am not familiar with the US lifestyle, could you please help me in answering some queries as below:

1) How much for renting an apartment for a married couple in Denton? (And can we live in other shared apartments, say, 2-3 bedrooms?)

2) If my wife want to work in the city (we will request for the J-type Visas), is it difficult to get a job there?

3) For those who once lived in Denton, any updates on transportation services and city development?

Thank you so much in advance!

1. For a two-story 2 bedroom, I pay ~$900 plus $100+ for utilities. There are much cheaper options further away from campus, but my apartment is less than a mile away from campus.

2. It's not too difficult to find a job, but most jobs are service industry due to the fact that Denton is for the most part a college town. Plenty of families and adults 30+ live here, but the majority of jobs I've found have been service industry related. 

3. The UNT bus system is pretty good, I would definitely recommend finding an apartment and using the bus to get to-and-from campus rather than parking. Parking on campus is a nightmare, and (no joke) it can be impossible to find parking in the lots anytime from 8-4pm. And that's WITH a $250+ parking pass. So I would definitely recommend finding an apartment near campus or one that the UNT busses stop at. Other than that, we don't have a lot of public transit (this is normal in TX), and the beaten-up roads are constantly being torn up and repaved. On the bright side, in a few years, the roads should be in much better condition. If you have any interest in traveling to Dallas, there's a train that travels between Denton and Dallas.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

• 11 months later...

Hello! I hate to comment on an old post, but I wasn't having any luck when I started a new post. I am pretty sure I will be moving to Denton in August. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for good 1 bedrooms. Are there any areas I should avoid or terrible apartments that I should avoid? Good places you have enjoyed living? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! Thrilled to say that I have officially committed to UNT for my MS in Behavior Analysis!

I would like to move to Denton sometime in mid-late July. I'm looking for a 1-bed/1-bath apt. in a good area. Preferably with a decent sized kitchen because I do cook a lot and would get a lot of use out of one, but it isn't absolutely necessary for me to consider living there.

Does anyone have suggestions of places I could look at? There are several websites I've looked at (Craigslist, Apartments.com, etc.) but I am not super familiar with the area and need some leads to go off of.