Is it easier to get into IVYs than State graduate schools?

naomi6

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it is easier for an average performing student to get accepted into an IVY league graduate program than a states/non-IVYs graduate program.  

The  IVY league universities have established a reputation of academic excellence for many years and have been viewed as some of the most prestigious universities worldwide while most states/non-ivy schools are still in the process of constructing similar reputations. With this type of stellar reputation, all IVYS tend to attract high performing students; however, the need to select high performing students is not a necessity. They can afford to provide admission to a mixture of high and average performing students because it is unlikely that an average performing students (students with mediocre GRE scores/B+ A- gpa) would put a dent to their already established stellar reputation. In addition, the probability that an average performing student converts to a high performing student also increases as he/she is influenced by their high performing peers. Universities that are still establishing their reputation, want the best students to help them achieve that goal, therefore admitting mostly high performers. 

This is why I don't think an average performing students should deter themselves from applying to IVY league programs because the probability of being accepted maybe higher. Of course, there are other factors that play a role in getting accepted such as program fit between student and professors and just plain luck. 

This is my thought, what do you think?

P.S. I'm not referring to their admission rate but the type of students they admit into their program. For example, say an IVY has an acceptance rate of 10%; they would admit 10 students of out 100. Of those 10 students , 5 are high performers and 5 are average performers. Other schools with similar acceptance rate may select 9 high performers and 1 average performer. 

***excuse the grammar***

Edited by naomi6

Since your application season was 2014, I'm inclined to think you're asking because you're doing research on the topic. If that's true, perhaps you should say so up front? The way you're framing the question seems disingenuous at best.